OpenText

Updated January 15, 2015
2.7

OpenText President & CEO Mark J. Barrenechea
Mark J. Barrenechea

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance; some intelligent, hard-working colleagues (in 50 reviews)

• Customers are always happy, which in turn creates a more positive work environment (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard to be recognized for a promotion unless you are "pals" with the right people in Senior Management (in 15 reviews)

• Even when the budget isn't frozen good luck trying to squeeze a dime out of upper management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Company is Great, Management Poor

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing vacation and benefits. Lots of employee events paid for by the company. Good raises. Very good work and life balance.

Cons

No easy to move around internally or advance. Very hard to get fired so there is a lot of dead weight among employees and managers.

Managers need to be cycled out. One Dev manager in particular. Micro manager that constantly changes their mind and won't let you think freely. Prevent you from moving around. Back stab you. Belittle you. Try and control who you send emails to. Problem is that the managers managers are all friends so nobody gets investigated. I record all my interactions with my phone and have some great examples of HR violations.

Good place to work, but could be better.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work was overall challenging. and the people were always great to work with. The work environment was open and clean. I always felt that the compensation I received was fair. Training and professional development was encouraged.

Cons

There came to be a point where I realized that there wasn't any further career advancement available to me at this company. I have always been someone who wants to make a positive change when I see processes that are not working optimally, however, the amount of politics and layers of management made making any meaningful change virtually impossible.

Empower and encourage your employees to make positive changes. Develop additional programs to encourage this. Set corporate values to encourage innovation.

Good company that is trying to get better

Current Employee - Director in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most senior managers care about their people. The company hires really smart people. Team-work is good. The company has recently launched programs on values and leadership development.

Cons

The CEO is unprofessional, loves to publicly humiliate others and micro-manages everything. Turnover at the top has been extremely high with this CEO. We are on our 4th CMO in 3 years and the other executive roles have turned over at least once during that time frame.

Please find a new CEO!

Good employees, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at OpenText

Pros

Good product and concept, brilliant employees

Cons

Management has a lot to learn about management.

No opportunities, advancement only for the "yes-men". Only good if you're just starting out fresh out of university. Not for those wanting to further a career.

Great place to start a career, but not to keep it going

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office, great people, great coffee!

Cons

Compensation and benefit package are at below market, whereas the management keeps telling employees they're above market average. Management pretends to care about employees opinions and ideas, never listens to suggestions they ask for.
    Also, they say internal candidates will be given advantage over external ones, well, they aren't! No decent follow-up provided when an internal candidate is refused the position either - very discouraging.

Either start following up on employees opinions or stop pretending you care about it - it hurts you more than if you don't pretend to care.

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Account Executive in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Rewards top performers
    -Excellent benefits
    -Market standard regulated salaries
    -career growth
    -good innovation

Cons

-majority of opportunities are at headquarters
    -must be "in" with Management to move up
    -all about profit and loss
    -not afraid to make massive cuts when not meeting with demands of analyst

Recognize those on the front lines, especially sales professionals driving the company forward.

Poor Management

Current Employee - Finance in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Finance in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, beautiful outdoor space, games room

Cons

Poor management structure, no support from management, immaturity in communicating with employees.

Need to hire more experienced managers and supervisors that connect better with their employees. HR should be more involved in decision making and not only a side kick.

Smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

OK technology, expanding market space
    Good work - life balance.
    Good company if you want to make OK money, not advance and work only 9:00 - 5:00.

Cons

Complete old boys club and bully culture - CEO surrounded by yes MEN who follow orders. Managers are overworked and have little autonomy. Just follow orders environment.
    No travel, only online training prescribed by HR.
    Decent pay and benefits - no pension, awful stock purchase program.
    Poor maternity leave benefits given that we are not in the 1950s anymore.

Value your people. You treat them like someone else is waiting at the door to take their spot.

Great place for recent Grad

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I recently graduated from University and was fortunate enough to secure a position in Customer Support.

My management is friendly and personable, and has contributed a lot to my success here
    The offices are beautiful, very comfy chairs and desks. Decent food catered by Aramark in the Cafe
    Inter-department interactions can be a bit bumpy if you don't have an existing relationship with them, but it's easy to do once you've made some friends.
    Lots of ways to spread out your impact here - many committees to join

Cons

Performance reviews are not taken seriously at all, and it's generally assumed you won't get a raise.
    Middle management seems to be confused at what their roles are and their approval abilities
    There are people who have had their jobs way too long and are very stubborn, causes the occasional delay

Keep up the good work, try to be more receptive to change and new ideas from your subordinates

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at OpenText full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Open Text is a stable company. It exists for longer than 20 years. It keeps growing mainly by acquisition. It can be an exciting place to work if you're willing to adapt to the constant change. The company has offices in over 40 countries in the world.

I work in R&D. Our main challenge is to integrate with the products from those acquired companies.

Compensation is in the market. A local startup might pay you better, but at OT you can maintain a work-life balance which suits you.
    Vacations starts with 15 days per year and increases every year until you reach 20 days. The office is closed from Dec 25 to Jan 1 which doesn't count towards your vacation.

The company is big which offers opportunities to switch jobs and sites.

There is a good work atmosphere at Open Text. People are very helpful and always willing to share their knowledge.

There current CEO earns a lot of critic here on GlassDoor. He placed a bet on the future and it's not clear yet, whether that will be successful.

I've read a lot of former reviews about Open Text on this site. I can understand that people voice their frustration after they were lot go or have left the company because it didn't work out for them.

On the other hand I'm working with many people who are in their jobs for 10 to 20 years and even longer. They in turn recommend their spouses and relatives for jobs. That wouldn't happen if this would be a bad place.

Cons

OT buys another big corporation every year or every other year. That causes major disruptions. You'll get used to it.

You'll not like everybody in the management. Some people are better than others.

Open Text is big. There are processes which are not always transparent and it can be frustrating to fight for improvements.

Focus on your vision.
    Communicate better what it means for the individual.
    Keep making this company a better place.