OpenX

Updated February 9, 2015
Updated February 9, 2015
4.1

Tim Cadogan

Pretty sweet place to work

Current Employee - Communications/Marketing in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Communications/Marketing in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture. Culture is everything
    -Strong leadership from the management team
    -Huge opportunities to progress quickly in a career here - no layoffs, great job security, etc
    -Pretty cool benefits: unlimited vacation time, amazing healthcare premiums, free MacBook Pro
    -Great building design and location
    -Many opportunities to travel

Cons

-Sometimes there is a steep learning curve when joining Ad-Tech. But you pick it up quickly.

Share more on what the other teams are doing / lessons learned, etc.

Amazing working at OpenX!

I have been working at OpenX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful People to work with, Management is always willing to "Listen" and they will make things happen for us.
    LOVE my team, such a wonderful group to work with!

Cons

They have a game room filled with amazing snacks! I have picked up a couple of pounds!

I love our Senior Level team! They are smart, amazing, and always willing to help us out!

Smart people and high potential for personal grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part of working at OpenX is that you are surrounded by people who have great intuitive towards solving problems. I am constantly learning from my peers here which makes my experience at OpenX one that I will never forget or take lightly. Engineers here are also always so willing to lend a helping hand or give insight into their experiences and work. It's a great learning atmosphere. More than that, I feel like there's always potential and room to grow. Personally, my manager has made me feel like I can work to my fullest potential and be heard. At the same time, we cultivate a culture that encourages humility and respect.

Aside from daily work life, we get free lunch 3 days a week and our benefits just got way better especially for a not so large company like OpenX.

Cons

There always seem to be a lot of politics involved in highly visible projects. This concerns me as I have not seen a project so far that has not garnered intense criticism from multiple parties in the company and the various departments involved. It always seems like there is a battle to prove to each department that competence and trust can be found in each other, which I think really deters us from feeling like a unified company. Definitely lowers morale and camaraderie especially in such potentially high stress situations.

Moreover, it seems we were going through a lot of growing pains the past year and we're still feeling its effects. Gladly it has slowed down and I feel it has gotten a lot better, but management in engineering especially seems to still be a large issue.

Continue to treat your employees with respect. Continue to challenge them and help them grow to their fullest potential. Allow them to understand that what they're working on is significant, and that communicating and being transparent (while still of course staying professional) is something that you value at OpenX.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have worked for the company less than a year. It has a great work environment. The best thing for me has been a great work-life balance. I have had a chance to do challenging work, but have plenty of time for my family. The company has a great location in Pasadena, CA, which is a much easier commute for many people in Los Angeles (as apposed to driving to Santa Monica, where a lot of start-up tech companies are located.) Fantastic benefits! Catered lunched three times a week, great "unlimited" time-off policy, lots of company holidays, game room, snacks, unbeatable health care, messages, chiropractor! Despite some growing pains earlier on, the company is on the right track for a start-up. The business model is working well, and senior management seems to have a great plan, which is well communicated to employees.

Cons

The biggest problem seems to be high turnover. This is strange due to the fact that it is such a great place to work. I know that some people have left because they prefer a super small start-up environment. OpenX has reached a threshold where management has to bring the start-up chaos under control to allow us to grow, which is a good thing, and management is doing it well, but some people prefer that start-up chaos and are always going to seek that environment. There are also signs of people not being happy with raises or promotions. I cannot attest to this personally, as I have worked for the company less than a year, and my pay is, so-far, in line with my expectations.

Ensure that employees' salaries remain competitive during their entire tenure with the company, not just when they are hired.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at OpenX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours, nice people, lots of interesting challenges

Cons

too much politics, not so good planning/eng management

don't compromise on the quality of the hires.

Changed for the worse in the last few months.

I have been working at OpenX full-time

Pros

Nice office space, lunch three days a week and fun interesting people to work and hang out with.

Cons

When I joined this company, there was great work-life balance along smart, intelligent and supportive co-workers. Unfortunately in the last couple of months, it has become very political. Many people who have been at the company for years have left because the collision with the management. Pay is also very low compared to market standards.

Please re-assess management skills of your managers. Provide them with training on how to deal with people and not just provide graphs and data on projects completed.

Smart people and interesting tech in a fun environment

I have been working at OpenX full-time

Pros

I work at OpenX because I want to work with smart people. I learn something new almost every day. We have interesting problems to solve, and there are very few companies headquartered in SoCal operating at such a large scale.

The office is nice, with free lunches three times a week and some nice little perks.

Pasadena is great, and you can actually buy a house near the office and laugh at the people commuting on the 405 to Santa Monica. There's also this thing called a "train" 1.5 blocks away.

The outlook for the company appears to be bright and growth has been impressive. I enjoy going to work every day, and isn't that all that matters?

Cons

The startup seating arrangement that crams as many desks per square foot as possible can get tiresome.

There are a few people in important positions within Engineering that simply aren't good leaders and shouldn't have the level of people responsibility that they do.

Dig into Engineering leadership and evaluate everyone's people management skills.

IPO and make the employees lots of money.

Ok

I have been working at OpenX

Pros

Free lunch, location, interesting technologies

Cons

Lack of focus on what's next, too much reliance on current customers

Highly politicalized culture that leaves so much potential unrealized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at OpenX full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Really great people that want to succeed. Great underlying technology. Good perks. Lots of sizzle.

Cons

Lackluster management that doesn't get rid of poisonous people and doesn't really seem connected to the company's strategy. The steak doesn't hold up to the sizzle. It's also a really tough market to succeed in.

Kill the politics at the leadership level ASAP.

Challenging fun environment with great people and great minds

Current Employee - Director, Business Development
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development

I have been working at OpenX full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Some of the smartest people I have ever worked with.
    -Constantly new challenges to dive in to. Ability to help affect change. People listen to your ideas.
    -Lots of opportunities for career growth and development.
    -Management seems to always have your best interest at hand. I have not worked in an environment where people care so much about your success and well being. Great mentors.
    -Our products actually work! Makes it easy to sell when there is a clear value prop to our clients
    -Great office: food, monthly parties, lunch provided

Cons

-Lots of product change. Makes it challenging to have a great grasp of product capabilities and feature sets. I am constantly having to relearn the products.
    -Lots of process(byproduct of going from small to larger company)

-Streamline process to make it easier to get things done.
    -continue the social aspect to our company; very beneficial