OpenX Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
3.7

Tim Cadogan

Smart people and interesting tech in a fun environment

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time

Pros

I work at OpenX because I want to work with smart people. I learn something new almost every day. We have interesting problems to solve, and there are very few companies headquartered in SoCal operating at such a large scale.

The office is nice, with free lunches three times a week and some nice little perks.

Pasadena is great, and you can actually buy a house near the office and laugh at the people commuting on the 405 to Santa Monica. There's also this thing called a "train" 1.5 blocks away.

The outlook for the company appears to be bright and growth has been impressive. I enjoy going to work every day, and isn't that all that matters?

Cons

The startup seating arrangement that crams as many desks per square foot as possible can get tiresome.

There are a few people in important positions within Engineering that simply aren't good leaders and shouldn't have the level of people responsibility that they do.

Dig into Engineering leadership and evaluate everyone's people management skills.

IPO and make the employees lots of money.

Ok

I have been working at OpenX

Pros

Free lunch, location, interesting technologies

Cons

Lack of focus on what's next, too much reliance on current customers

Highly politicalized culture that leaves so much potential unrealized

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at OpenX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people. Really great people that want to succeed. Great underlying technology. Good perks. Lots of sizzle.

Cons

Lackluster management that doesn't get rid of poisonous people and doesn't really seem connected to the company's strategy. The steak doesn't hold up to the sizzle. It's also a really tough market to succeed in.

Kill the politics at the leadership level ASAP.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging fun environment with great people and great minds

Current Employee - Director, Business Development
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development

I have been working at OpenX full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Some of the smartest people I have ever worked with.
    -Constantly new challenges to dive in to. Ability to help affect change. People listen to your ideas.
    -Lots of opportunities for career growth and development.
    -Management seems to always have your best interest at hand. I have not worked in an environment where people care so much about your success and well being. Great mentors.
    -Our products actually work! Makes it easy to sell when there is a clear value prop to our clients
    -Great office: food, monthly parties, lunch provided

Cons

-Lots of product change. Makes it challenging to have a great grasp of product capabilities and feature sets. I am constantly having to relearn the products.
    -Lots of process(byproduct of going from small to larger company)

-Streamline process to make it easier to get things done.
    -continue the social aspect to our company; very beneficial

Great work environment and career opportunities

I have been working at OpenX full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of growth opportunities. Managers trust you with taking on additional responsibilities but you have to show that you are hardworking and eager to learn. Very nice, smart and supportive coworkers. Very less politics. Like I said, if you have leadership qualities and are not afraid to learn and work hard then this is the best environment you will find where your colleagues will support you.

Cons

Compensation is still not in line with the market compensation.

Please stick your words. If it was said that compensation is going to reevaluated for everyone then please do it for everyone and not just a few employees.

A place to develop your career

I have been working at OpenX full-time for more than a year

Pros

OpenX has always been a tough place for me to gauge. On one hand it's an amazing company with driven and intelligent people. On the other hand, it's still very much at struggle discovering it's identity in a crowded space. What I will say about myself and OpenX is that struggle makes us stronger. The constant struggle of both identifying industry trends while trying to set yourself apart from the pack is constantly on everyones mind...Do we disrupt...or do we do what everyone else is doing?

With that being said, OpenX's struggles are very much a positive about this place. Without struggle...life and work is boring. OpenX is made for people who want to contribute immediately and play a part in a company establishing it's identity.

Besides the day-to-day, OpenX is a beautiful workspace with a great culture. I'm speaking from the perspective of an employee at HQ. We've got a great game room, facilities, and group of people that keep you happy at work. There is NO reason you should ever feel like an outcast here, not only are the OpenX employees great people, but the management makes an effort to plan social events on a monthly basis so you can get to know everyone around the office.

It's a work place, it can't be perfect and we do demand a lot...but OpenX has been great to me and the people around me.

Cons

To restate from the last sentence of my 'Pros'... it's a work place. It's incredibly demanding, don't think that you will grow here working 9-5 and just getting your stuff done. If you want to be recognized here you must put in the hard work, which I will say isn't for everyone.

This is a con for people who want to coast, it's not an easy job working at OpenX. Work hard and you will be recognized, slack off and you will be out the door.

Spend more time talking to everyone around the company, the amount of insight you can get from a fresh set of eyes is amazing.

Chaotic, demanding, and fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time

Pros

The work is interesting, the office amenities nice, and the people by and large are talented and easy to work with. The exec team is approachable and smart.

Cons

Compensation is on the low side, and retention seems to be an issue. A decent number of employees don't make it more than 1-2 years either due to poor performance or burn out.

Bring compensation in line with the industry.

Great place to work, smart people and truly enjoyable!

Current Employee - Director, Product
    Current Employee - Director, Product

I have been working at OpenX full-time for less than a year

Pros

I make a difference and love contributing to our overall success.
    I see clear strategy and opportunity for us to continue to expand.
    I count on my manager and executives to display great judgement for our business, team and clients.
    I know my manager and executives are open and available for a conversation about our company, process and products. It doesn't matter who you are, open door policy.
    I have a great relationship with my manager - no agendas, no BS, no reading between the lines - just plain ol' straight shooting.
    I know our work ethic resonates and builds our creditability.
    I experience great collaboration and teamwork, especially during an escalation. We all come together and kick ass with a single, common goal. It feels great!

Cons

Need to be flexible and nimble in an environment like ours and unfortunately not everyone is suited for that.
    As with any growing company, its imperative to have solid process and proper communication. I think we are good, but could do even better here.

Maintain the culture and values that have attracted so many brilliant, interesting people to work here in the first place. Hire for culture, train for skill.

I'm part of middle management at OpenX and have worked at other technology companies including Yahoo! and I can honestly that this is best place I have ever been a part of. Even though my commute is not optimal (almost 3 hours a day), I come to work excited and inspired to be here.

Interesting, Smart Work and Dynamic Products

I have been working at OpenX full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's rare to feel the satisfaction I feel everyday when I get to work at OpenX. What they've managed to do is take the feel of a startup and apply it to a strongly financed, enterprise company that serves an incredibly complex industry. As such, there needs to be constant communication between teams, and as a member of the product team, I feel very fortunate to have to level of access to teams and customers to be able to make an impact with every project. OpenX is a successful company, not only in ad tech, a successful industry, but also as a result of the open environment where we are allowed to make an impact with the products.

Cons

Sometimes, getting the teams priorities to align are a challenge. We spend longer than we should discussing ways to get projects delivered on track, but the execs are hard at work to solve these challenges.

Listen to your employees, get out of their way and let them do great work.

One of the best technology companies to work for in LA.

Current Employee - Director, Business Development  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at OpenX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO is transparent and trustworthy. Culture rewards performance and strives to make it a great place to work. Company is well respected in the space and has made the tough decisions necessary to be successful in the long term. Great network of people who are already starting to spread across the Los Angeles Technology landscape.

Cons

Based in Pasadena so commute can be an issue for anyone on the west side of Los Angeles. Limited amount of post-work social interaction.

Worked for OpenX? Contribute to the Community!