Openet

Add Photos

Openet CEO Niall Norton

Niall Norton

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, a good place to work.

I have been working at Openet

ProsOpenet is a very relaxed workplace. There are a lot of references that help you learn all that is thrown at you to know

ConsAlthough there are a lot of references to aid you, there is so much thrown at you in such a short amount of time, it can be overwhelming. Additionally, the company seems to be growing faster than it can control.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe first thing that should change is the pace of training. There are many nuances that can hinder a new employees progress. Also, contain growth.

Politics galore, scramble strategy, no leadership

Partners (Former Employee)

I worked at Openet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYears ago Charging/Policy were a white hot space and Openet had the leading product. When it was smaller, everyone was a team going for the growth and it was cooperative and innovative and interesting.

ConsPolitics abound. Some very hard working people go unrecognized. And some very undeserving people continue to keep their jobs at the expense of others. There's not a real strategy other than sales, so everything is a scramble and last minute deadline. And the market has moved on with acquisitions by BroadHop, Bridgewater, and Volubill. I don't know if they have an exit left. Despite their statements that they love partners, professional services undermines the partners by taking their hours. There is no strategic relationships to leverage - bridges have been burned too many times. Also there's no equity for anyone...that was years ago. It's just a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some new ideas and new people on the team. Embrace your partners who work so hard for you.

Management lacks any sense of direction

Technical Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Openet full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor junior team members, you will have plenty of work and opportunity to advance.

ConsManagement changes directions with every new revelation or management book they read. Management is not held accountable for their failures, they just get shifted around the company so that they can continue their mistakes. Sales department are desperate to make their numbers, so projects are not sold with enough profit margin to allow the Services teams to deploy the projects correctly, thus projects are often understaffed or have too many junior members who are out of their depth on a project. Engineering department exist in a vacuum from the customers and also from the Services teams, so they often deploy features that are not needed or deploy good features late or untested. Deadlines are often very short, requiring Services teams to work overtime. Employee bonuses have not been paid in past 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold management responsible to meet their goals and if they do not, take action to show the company that they are being held responsible. Withholding bonuses from the workers is not holding management responsible, it only helps management keep the shareholders happy.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of collaboration, communication and innovation

Reston, VA

I have been working at Openet full-time

ProsThey have a great product portfolio for policy, charging and rating for the wireless industry. The software is powerful and can perform high number of transactions per second, the ability to scale processing vertically and horizontally is big advantage over its competitors.

ConsI find many groups within Openet to be territorial and only protecting their turf. Although the company has been going through some process alignment and resource allocation, I find it very difficult to work within the various groups - such as product, engineering and services - and to even share ideas and knowledge across the company.
When you are trying to estimate a proposal for a client for example, the internal politics and bureaucracy is a nightmare.
There is too much politics in this company and I find the culture to be very arrogant and not accommodating to new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to change the culture and politics in the company. There are too many employees who are only looking out for themselves or their own groups. There has to be a more collaborative and innovative environment. Too many times management does not want to listen on ideas on process improvement, or allow people the ability to make decisions without having too many hands involved.
 I think management should also cut down on unnecessary costs. It spends too much on unneeded travel for example.
The company should focus on its core products and not overstretch itself into other ventures, such as healthcare, where it doesn't have a strong knowledge and experience.

Sweatshop - Be wary

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Openet

Pros1) It's a good product (slowly getting commoditized in the industry so we'll see)
2) Pound for pound, has some of the brightest people working for it compared to other companies in the space
3) Compared to other companies - the real star of the show is the Professional Services organization - they bring in a LOT of money, they do solid work, and they find a lot of new opportunities.
4) They have achieved a "brand cache" - so it's a premium company in the space to say you worked for.

Cons1) EQUITY - there is NO EQUITY whatsosever for employees. Just yearly empty promises of "we'll see what business conditions allow." If you were in very early - there was some small equity given, but not really any by this CEO. It's sad actually - it's a real sweatshop and people work so much better when they know they are "owners" not "widgets"
2) Politics - this place INVITES politics and all the distractions it brings. It's actually crushing and enormously disappointing. At the higher level ranks - it's almost gladiator games. Someone once said "Why aren't you using that against him/her?!?"
3) Communications/Accountability - what's said from above (goals, budgets, products, etc.) and what happens soon after are not necessarily the same thing. And the reverse is true - you're assured that whatever you say up the food chain is likely not what people will hear and act upon. And when commitments are needed and are missed, nobody seems to get in any heat. This place really has a communications problem.
4) Focus - the place has a 30 day or less attention span. Nothing gets planned so everything is a complete firedrill for all parties. Everytime - a mad scramble to do anything. Rather than Ready, Aim, Fire...it's FIRE, aim, ready? I'd say they could do twice as much work in 1/2 the time if people would get the support they need and do their job the first time. PS - expect this to affect your work/life balance - i don't know anybody who doesn't work (realistically) at least 10 hr days and 6 day work weeks.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're not a startup. You have basically 4 people running the company...for any decision. Stop the firedrill mentality. Push the accountability down- meet commitments - expect others to do the same.

Simply "Say what you do, and do what you say". And stop with the politics - it's exhausting

Growing too fast

ProsMany excellent staff members
Excellent, adaptable product
Good benefits
Continued growth is expected so job opportunities should not decline
Direct management is sympathetic to employee personal requirements

ConsWork exceeds resources
Internal systems are insufficient and underpowered
Workspace insufficient for growth in staff
Bonus calculations are arcane
Processes remain in flux

Advice to Senior ManagementOpenet has made a good impression by implementing its products successfully in a number of telecoms carriers. It is important that future implementations also succeed. Quantity of attempts will not offset perceived failures.

Cool Software

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Openet

ProsDynamic organization with many opportnuities to develop skills

ConsGrowing too fast, need to control the growth

Advice to Senior ManagementShould work to deploy more structrure and process to avoid problems with rapid growth and expansion. Better assimilation of new employees into the organization.

Worked for Openet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Openet reviews and ratings in Reston, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Openet CEO Niall Norton. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Openet employees.