Openreach

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Robertson

Good working environment with promotion opportunities available for the right people

Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGood starting salary, nice working environment, excellent team building company, opportunities to progress to higher level work if the right skills are demonstrated

ConsWork can be monotonous on occasion

Pays the bills

CSE (Current Employee) Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

ProsWorking outside with customer s

ConsManagement are stupid its the only company I know that promote s you if your rubbish at your job

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do you make it so hard for yourself

It was good to begin with, then all went down hill, no career progression

Network Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosgreat people working there, especially old timers/

Conschange in employment structure dissatisfied me.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to understant career progression needs of individuals/

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Constant change fosters even more change

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat teams, great CEO, inspiring product, everyone is getting used to embracing change and most are keen for it to succeed.

ConsGovernance is a shambles, change doesn't get briefed thoroughly and consistently enough, reward and promotion doesn't seem to favour the hard working; only those good at senior stakeholder management

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp those who are managing change by making quick decisions and not allowing those with niggling concerns put halts to the change process.

NO TRUST ANYWHERE IN THE COMPANY

Field Engineer (Current Employee) New Bridge, Wales (UK)

ProsAll tools are supplied. Pay rate is good for the sort of place that I live and would do well to find a job to earn the same money. Good pension.

ConsVery poor communication in the company no trust from upper management to the field. If you are good at doing your job you will never get promoted. Move goal posts week by week do not trust this company they will drop you like a tonne of bricks Cheap quality clothing is provided but you have to wear it

Advice to Senior ManagementCome and have a go if you think that you can do our job better I am pretty sure we will laugh. You do not have a clue what you are expecting of us. Come and try it if you could spare a minute away from your warm heated office!!!!

Could do better

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPeer to peer relation ships

ConsSome concepts of project management seem to allude senior management; not including staff labour costs within budget pricing !

Advice to Senior ManagementMove all project, programmes , wether in operations or service, under a single arm and ensure project codes and not bucket funds are used . These should be allocated to individual project managers ( and not department heads). This so that not only will costs be tracked & managed but an individual who is directly responsible can be held accountable.

An Open company

Customer Service Coach (Current Employee) Southampton, England (UK)

ProsThe only thing I provide to come to work are socks, pants and my sandwiches. All other tools and testers as well as job specific training is given. As is a van

ConsHaving a tracker fitted to the van which despite it being there to allow work flow by issuing work to the closest engineer already there have been calls saying why didn't your van move until 08.10 when your start time is 08.00!

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out from the glass towers and actually look at some of the things you're asking us to do. Look at the cables in the ground and perhaps rather than punishing us for repeat faults you'll give us the money we need to spend to upgrade them

BT Openreach is well worth considering if you are good at what you do, enjoy working hard and are customer focussed.

Business Improvement Consultant (Current Employee) Sawbridgeworth, England (UK)

ProsIf you enjoy a challenge and are prepared to work hard, you will do well and receive recognition here. A healthy respect for work/life balance, remote/home working and supportive team working all help you achieve your targets.

As with every company, a lot depends on your line manager. But I have to say, having worked for over a dozen different line managers here, most are very good.

You may fnd that there are not many opportunities currently as the business is downsizing. But if an opportunity arises give it serious consideration.

The business has improved its service considerably over the last 2 years and is heading in the right direction.

Another good thing about BT is that they do not make anyone compulsory redundant, it's all voluntary. Of course, there is no guarantee that this will remain for good. But as far as I know there are no plan s to change this.

ConsYou will be expected to own targets that are stretching and a challenge. You need to enjoy hard work, otherwise it's no fun.

You also need to be prepared to travel (UK only in Openreach) and stay overnight occasionally.

Meetings and travel can quickly eat in to your available time, so you need to manage these closely.

Customers can be demanding and challenging. You need to be able to handle this professionally. You need to build close working relationships with customers and deal with them honestly and with integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect you own work/life balance & set a good example.

BT Openreach, only if virgin aren't hiring :)

Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) Menai Bridge, Wales (UK)

ProsWorking in the outdoors, problem solving opportunities. Left to get on with the job most of the time, and you can find the support you need if you're willing to make a few phone calls.

ConsArchaic management philosophy, rule with an iron fist. Very quick to discipline and very slow to praise. Process bound with no flexibility. Revenue, quality and productivity targets are the be all and end all.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your engineers - the front line know best a lot of the time.

Will this ever make a difference????

Local Business Manager Assistant (Current Employee) Shrewsbury, England (UK)

ProsThe pay and leave for the job is very good for the industry we work in.

ConsConsidering we work for a communications company at times they lack tact in delivery of their future for the company!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo come back to the floor before they make major decisions on the futures of the engineers.

Worked for Openreach? Contribute to the Community!