Opera Mediaworks

Opera Mediaworks CEO Mahi de Silva

Mahi de Silva

Best company I've worked for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsWe have a very diverse culture and "open" in terms of flex time and sharing ideas. It's a growing company and it's fun, fast, exciting, and cutting edge. I've never been a company where the growth rate was this exponential. I feel our product is innovative, have rich set of features, and seeks to answer the needs of our customers. Upper management is open to share the vision of the company and show strategically how we plan on growing the business. The people are smart, open, caring, fun, and take our work and responsibilities seriously. I love the passion and energy of coming to work and know my co-workers actually care about what we do and want to service our customers and strive to improve. I feel opportunities are there for career growth for those that seizes it. At the same time, nurturing, support, and guidance are also available for those less ambitious and need more direction.

ConsWe're a growing company and there are kinks that needs to be worked out. For those that need more certainty, structure, and set defined processes; it might be hard to adjust.

We're also in a complicated industry where the technology is advance so the learning curve is high. It is a bit of the "survival" mentality in the beginning so preservation and persistence is key.

Compensation can be more competitive to the Valley's standards.

We get to play a huge role in shaping a brand new industry

Pros- Position in the market: we're set up to be the big thought leaders
    - Great product innovation
    - Empowered to do and create things on your own, without a lot of bureaucracy or red tape
    - Fast paced and exciting

Cons- Very spread out team, lots of employees in lots of offices. Four offices in the bay area alone.
    - Really different cultures between teams
    - Focus on profitability could stunt growth from making long term investments

I love working here!

ProsThe best thing about working at Opera is the diversity of the staff.

ConsToo many chiefs! Tough getting things done when you have to wait for approvals!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to get along with all the entities and make decisions quicker. Share the wealth! If the company is doing so well...why don't the employees get some of the profits!! Just saying...couldn't do it without us :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great!

Technical (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsA lot of learning opportunity
    Everyone contributes towards growth by knowledge sharing
    Flexibility with work hours
    Free drinks, Free breakfast, Free snacks
    Beers and Wednesday Free Lunch

ConsToo many platform integration can make you lose focus. It takes time to adapt to this culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

It's Cool

ProsFree food on Wednesday :)

Consthis is a young company

Used to be a great company, no longer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsA lot of the things that made this company a nice to place to work are deteriorating fast, like open communication, flexible hours and openness to new ideas.

The company seems to be responding to marketplace changes by adding more levels of management. These new levels add a level of bureaucracy and "process" that is, frankly, just a drag. It used to be a cool culture with smart people.

A lot of people mention the free meals as a positive benefit. Those reviews leave out a few key factors. Opera brings in food because the office is in such a desolate location that there are very few food options nearby. Who has time to get in the car and drive to pick up a take-out order? No one delivers. And those employees without cars have even fewer options. And bringing in food to us keeps us chained to our desks longer. So I guess in one way having catered meals is nice...but most of it tastes like convention food to me.

However, I am writing this review in response to a madatory, ansinine Interview Training session. First of all, I am forced to attend a long meeting out of my busy day, I would like to assume that the company is using my time well. The training was unorganized, not helpful and a complete waste of time. I have been hiring team members for enough years that I know how to do this. I don't know who this training was for, but it was insulting.

ConsThe HR department seems inexperienced, immature and incompetent.

It was mentioned in the training that turnover is scary high and we were strongly encouraged to combat that by writing flowing reviews on Glassdoor.

Ok, Opera HR: you got your request!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake your compensation competitive. Stop adding layers of managers who don't know what they are doing. Unite your teams instead of having them compete for the same customers! Communicate with your employees and not just "something exciting is on the way!" Create and discuss career opportunities. With all this new structure, I don't know what my next role might be...except probably at one of your competitors.

Terrible leadership, incompetent HR

No Comment (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe "pros" are that the company is growing. But since the growth is all in Europe, who cares? I live in the US

ConsPay is not competitive, management has conflicting priorities, mission statements not communicated to the lesser minions

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your managers to actually BE managers, but even more so, train your Human Resources department. Or even better, replace them. I had a major issue but the HR people seem young, inexperienced and untrained. I received absolutely so advice or guidance that allowed me to effectively address the issue I had at work. Instead I resigned - but is that really how this company chooses to address issues? Really disappointing experience.

Worked for Opera Mediaworks? Contribute to the Community!