Opera Mediaworks

Updated August 27, 2014
3.9

Opera Mediaworks CEO Mahi de Silva
Mahi de Silva

Great company culture and morale that's heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great office culture and pay with a solid work life balance. Despite rapid growth over the past year, it still has a start-up culture. The company morale is amazing and our parent company (Opera Software) has gone above and beyond in terms of providing us with the resources to continue to grow and improve our products. There's also a lot of confidence in the quality of talent the company's been able to attract and keep.

Cons

Until now, we haven't been great at establishing clear positioning within the marketplace (due to rapid expansion over the past year) but now have the necessary resources and vision in place to easily address this area

Great!

Current Employee - Technical in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Technical in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of learning opportunity
    Everyone contributes towards growth by knowledge sharing
    Flexibility with work hours
    Free drinks, Free breakfast, Free snacks
    Beers and Wednesday Free Lunch

Cons

Too many platform integration can make you lose focus. It takes time to adapt to this culture.

None

Best company I've worked for

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We have a very diverse culture and "open" in terms of flex time and sharing ideas. It's a growing company and it's fun, fast, exciting, and cutting edge. I've never been a company where the growth rate was this exponential. I feel our product is innovative, have rich set of features, and seeks to answer the needs of our customers. Upper management is open to share the vision of the company and show strategically how we plan on growing the business. The people are smart, open, caring, fun, and take our work and responsibilities seriously. I love the passion and energy of coming to work and know my co-workers actually care about what we do and want to service our customers and strive to improve. I feel opportunities are there for career growth for those that seizes it. At the same time, nurturing, support, and guidance are also available for those less ambitious and need more direction.

Cons

We're a growing company and there are kinks that needs to be worked out. For those that need more certainty, structure, and set defined processes; it might be hard to adjust.

We're also in a complicated industry where the technology is advance so the learning curve is high. It is a bit of the "survival" mentality in the beginning so preservation and persistence is key.

Compensation can be more competitive to the Valley's standards.

I love working here!

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time

Pros

The best thing about working at Opera is the diversity of the staff.

Cons

Too many chiefs! Tough getting things done when you have to wait for approvals!

Learn to get along with all the entities and make decisions quicker. Share the wealth! If the company is doing so well...why don't the employees get some of the profits!! Just saying...couldn't do it without us :)

We get to play a huge role in shaping a brand new industry

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Position in the market: we're set up to be the big thought leaders
    - Great product innovation
    - Empowered to do and create things on your own, without a lot of bureaucracy or red tape
    - Fast paced and exciting

Cons

- Very spread out team, lots of employees in lots of offices. Four offices in the bay area alone.
    - Really different cultures between teams
    - Focus on profitability could stunt growth from making long term investments

It's Cool

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks

Pros

Free food on Wednesday :)

Cons

this is a young company

Used to be a great company, no longer

I have been working at Opera Mediaworks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the things that made this company a nice to place to work are deteriorating fast, like open communication, flexible hours and openness to new ideas.

The company seems to be responding to marketplace changes by adding more levels of management. These new levels add a level of bureaucracy and "process" that is, frankly, just a drag. It used to be a cool culture with smart people.

A lot of people mention the free meals as a positive benefit. Those reviews leave out a few key factors. Opera brings in food because the office is in such a desolate location that there are very few food options nearby. Who has time to get in the car and drive to pick up a take-out order? No one delivers. And those employees without cars have even fewer options. And bringing in food to us keeps us chained to our desks longer. So I guess in one way having catered meals is nice...but most of it tastes like convention food to me.

However, I am writing this review in response to a madatory, ansinine Interview Training session. First of all, I am forced to attend a long meeting out of my busy day, I would like to assume that the company is using my time well. The training was unorganized, not helpful and a complete waste of time. I have been hiring team members for enough years that I know how to do this. I don't know who this training was for, but it was insulting.

Cons

The HR department seems inexperienced, immature and incompetent.

It was mentioned in the training that turnover is scary high and we were strongly encouraged to combat that by writing flowing reviews on Glassdoor.

Ok, Opera HR: you got your request!

Make your compensation competitive. Stop adding layers of managers who don't know what they are doing. Unite your teams instead of having them compete for the same customers! Communicate with your employees and not just "something exciting is on the way!" Create and discuss career opportunities. With all this new structure, I don't know what my next role might be...except probably at one of your competitors.

Terrible leadership, incompetent HR

Former Employee - No Comment in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - No Comment in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Opera Mediaworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The "pros" are that the company is growing. But since the growth is all in Europe, who cares? I live in the US

Cons

Pay is not competitive, management has conflicting priorities, mission statements not communicated to the lesser minions

Train your managers to actually BE managers, but even more so, train your Human Resources department. Or even better, replace them. I had a major issue but the HR people seem young, inexperienced and untrained. I received absolutely so advice or guidance that allowed me to effectively address the issue I had at work. Instead I resigned - but is that really how this company chooses to address issues? Really disappointing experience.