Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire(in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management(in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall(in 5 reviews)

Empty promises, empty offices

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsStrong industry knowledge, especially in healthcare

ConsTerrible senior management
    Lack of transparency and broken promises
    Lack of integrity in the sales process, eventually leading client to unrealistic expectations and working team to terrible hours
    Bad beneifts package

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the new CEO to bring his own people and radically change the leadership group
    Abandon bogus products and homegrown technologies (e.g. vektor) to refocus on ad-hoc solutions and consulting engagements, especially where they strategically lead to new client relationships and improved domain knowledge
    Move to a smaller office space (this one looks very empty and kind of depressing now)
    Increase salary and reintroduce bonuses

Chaotic, political and lack of integrity in the sales process

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsIntelligent workforce, competitive compensation, significant buzz in indistry

Conspolitical and toxic work environment, poor man management, lack of integrity in the sales process

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high turnover and past shortcomings with major clients demonstrates that management needs to be more realistic and less desparate when selling new accounts and more importantly treat middle-management and other staff with more professionalism.

A Grand Wasted Opportunity

Staff Scientist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWas given the opportunity to work with some of the smartest, creative, and talented colleagues ever. Opera's diverse set of clients allows analysts and scientists to hone many skills. The previous out-of-control CEO was finally replaced by someone who seems very competent and understands how to think strategically. Opera's pay is above average, but you'll work for it.

ConsThere are so many: the perpetually late (and highly opaque) review cycles whose results are often released when the next cycle is supposed to begin; the lack of strategic development of products that led to massive waste in capital and human potential; promised incentives that were never delivered; a sales staff that doesn't understand what is being promised or delivered; a 24/7 expected work environment that burns out employees; most of the best people have already left the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make promises to clients or employees that cannot be kept. Need more transparency in performance review and incentive pay.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone wants to be successful until they see what it takes.

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsWorking with smart and talented people with constant flow of ideas. Company was started with passion and willingness to take risks. Combined leadership will provide significant strength.

ConsThere will always be cons even with the most successful companies, the most successful failed before succeeding. Some of the people have a sense of entitlement due to their unrealistic expectations that causes a negative working environment. They are quick to point fingers when times are tough, but would never be able to start a business of their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to move forward.

NASCAR to Formula One in 9-12 months

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsJust like Gene Haas is doing by getting the U.S. into F1 from NASCAR....Bernhard, and team, will be leading us through the transition from a very successful consulting organization...to a successful analytics software company.

We have been racing F1 with a NASCAR team and that doesn't work....and there are some that will prefer to stay with the oval track....nothing wrong with that....but there are many of us that like the roar of a nicely tuned F1 engine....so we are very encouraged !

Communication is improving and things are changing....and we still have and attract the best talent....

ConsThis transition isn't easy or quick....the corporate culture , processes etc need to change....but we have the right team in place to make this happen. ....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communication alive....

Still in a growth market, but with too many choices

ProsCompany is making changes to focus more resources on the biggest opportunities and reduce the number of custom projects. This won't please everyone, but it's the right thing to do. We have an opportunity to scale a few proven offers, but need to eliminate distractions. There are growth opportunities for people willing to try new things.

ConsRenewed focus is progressing, but can be accelerated. With so much potential it's hard to say 'no' sometimes. In a leading-edge market people must be willing to try new things and adapt to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementProperly resource a few key opportunities. Bigger bets on fewer things. Steady success in a few areas will create personal growth for everyone and eliminate any confusion.

Getting better!

ProsNew upper management. Seems like they’re starting to listen to their staff and making real changes, starting at the top. New CEO seems to be focused on communication and transparency with weekly emails, which is greatly needed. I’m encouraged by his approach to take stock of the company and fill us in on his findings as he goes. I have high hopes for him and believe he’ll be able to effect real change.

ConsMany processes are still too slow. Middle and upper management needs to provide more timely feedback and communication for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to remember your people are your greatest asset. “Thank you” and honest communication about next steps regarding promotions, projects, and reassignments go a long way. Even if you don’t have the answers we want, letting us know where you are in the process is a step in the right direction.

Advice to fellow employees: This company hires a lot of people fresh out of school, which means they’re young millennials with high (unrealistic) expectations and little perspective. While things at Opera have not been perfect, they could be so much worse. We’ve gone through a huge transition — or three — but I’ll take that over a “this is the way it’s always been done” mentality any day.

Bad Management and horrible execution

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLot of talented people in Analytics and Big Data space.

ConsWork force leaving due to no new projects (no work) and forcing analytics team to use bogus home grown tool call VEKTOR. Horrible management and worst delivery

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease have steady and realistic vision..

Opera Solutions Manager responded to this review

Apr 18, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We want you to know that we take these reviews seriously and are paying attention to company morale. We have taken the suggestions posted here to heart and are evaluating ... More

Great People. Terrible Company & Management.

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsThe people you will work with (especially at Manager and below levels) are wonderful, creative & very smart.
    You can (on occasion) get exposed to interesting problems at blue-chip clients and because there's very little organization there's an opportunity to step up
    New CEO (Bernhard Namm) is an excellent human being. Honest, smart, clear in his ideas and very cognizant of the multitude of problems the company has. I wish him the best but worry that he has inherited a poisoned chalice

ConsIn one word: Arnab Gupta (owner and previous CEO)
    By most accounts he's interested in 'big ideas' and his own bottom line but does not have the temperament or will to build a real organization that supports its employees and focuses only on those problems for which we are best suited
    Management has been a mess, part of it is that they are way out of their depth and that their positions have been earned through loyalty rather than merit

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower Bernhard, he's the right leader with the right ideas. Become very focused in what we do and pay a lot more attention to internal talent management before everybody in the US office leaves.

Opera Solutions Manager responded to this review

Apr 28, 2014

Thank you for your review. We agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment on Bernhard and are excited about the new clarity he is bringing and will continue to bring to the organization. But your ... More

Finally, something may change!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsNew CEO, good news, even if he is bad, can't be worse than the previous one!
    The last one was a complete waste of time and money.
    It may be too late for us, but we can try to the end.

ConsAll the good people gone, some of the bad people are still around.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up some of the bad management that is still with us. They "talk good" but can't deliver.
    Go back to our roots: Consulting.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!