Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Doing what it takes to succeed

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Pros1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

Opportunity to interact with others cultures.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsThe company has been an opportunity for me growth in the professional area. Colleagues are very nice, fun, smart, easy to get along with so many different cultures.

ConsManagement has been shaddy this past three year and not clear what they wanted. Poor management levels as well and G&A not pay well accordingly to today's living cost.

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize your employees effort to work and clearly project trust and wisdom as of where you want to take the company in the future.

Hopeless Place to Work

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsNice office view of Hudson river.
    No one cares what you are doing (Pro for slackers). Otherwise see no pros and hope.
    Management talks all positive that's it.

ConsManagement confused as ever product company or consulting company. Make you work hard and when time comes of payout rules are changed so as delay the incentive and then pay few hundreds.
    Management is clueless, frequent Town Hall's and talks. Busy flying around the world and cares least about employees.
    Big Data is all BS. None of their products are delivered on time and as promised (Quality is out of question)
    Please check with the customers, they are all very dis-satisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, It is damaged beyond repair. Every year new philosophy with new management and rules.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great, fantastic company but its best years are in the past

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsOpera was voted as one of the best company to work for in New Jersey. A great work environment.
    This was driven mostly driven by a great corporate culture, fantastic people, and unique industry and functional know-how.
    While many of the nice perks are gone (corporate box at the Madison Square Garden, Christmas parties and presents, etc.), the people are still fantastic. Friday lunches are something to look forward as they increase camaraderie and facilitate knowledge sharing.
    Some of the best Senior Vice Presidents are still around and working with them is a true pleasure and great learning experience.
    The new CEO is a great person and skilled leader; he is really doing his best to improve this situation. The recent town halls are finally providing some clarity on what' happening with the company.
    The beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline from the Jersey City office is another nice element (and working from JC is not as bad as it sounds)

ConsThe true cancer was the lack of steady long-term vision and industry focus.
    The change of operating model (from a management consulting firm to a Big Data software company) brought some inevitable hurdles, but the absence of a coherent vision made things worse. The focus on dead-end products, the loss of historical clients, some bad corporate decisions, unexpected rounds of lay-offs, and a few broken promises drastically accelerated the existing attrition, and emptied the NY/JC offices.
    Other issues to be addressed are:
    Compensation (low salaries, no more bonuses, fuzzy sales commission plan, etc.)
    Communication/transparency
    Employee morale
    Uncertainty and possibility of being acquired by a large system Integration services company. Maybe just a rumor, but it'd be nice to know more about the authenticity of this event and its implications

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving interactions with employees with honest messages about the company current situation and outlook. Provide early warning about future, potential risks, events (e.g., rounds of lay-offs, potential acquisitions)
    Maintain a coherent road-map

Empty promises, empty offices

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsStrong industry knowledge, especially in healthcare

ConsTerrible senior management
    Lack of transparency and broken promises
    Lack of integrity in the sales process, eventually leading client to unrealistic expectations and working team to terrible hours
    Bad beneifts package

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the new CEO to bring his own people and radically change the leadership group
    Abandon bogus products and homegrown technologies (e.g. vektor) to refocus on ad-hoc solutions and consulting engagements, especially where they strategically lead to new client relationships and improved domain knowledge
    Move to a smaller office space (this one looks very empty and kind of depressing now)
    Increase salary and reintroduce bonuses

Chaotic, political and lack of integrity in the sales process

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsIntelligent workforce, competitive compensation, significant buzz in indistry

Conspolitical and toxic work environment, poor man management, lack of integrity in the sales process

Advice to Senior ManagementThe high turnover and past shortcomings with major clients demonstrates that management needs to be more realistic and less desparate when selling new accounts and more importantly treat middle-management and other staff with more professionalism.

Everyone wants to be successful until they see what it takes.

Engagement Manager (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsWorking with smart and talented people with constant flow of ideas. Company was started with passion and willingness to take risks. Combined leadership will provide significant strength.

ConsThere will always be cons even with the most successful companies, the most successful failed before succeeding. Some of the people have a sense of entitlement due to their unrealistic expectations that causes a negative working environment. They are quick to point fingers when times are tough, but would never be able to start a business of their own.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to move forward.

NASCAR to Formula One in 9-12 months

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsJust like Gene Haas is doing by getting the U.S. into F1 from NASCAR....Bernhard, and team, will be leading us through the transition from a very successful consulting organization...to a successful analytics software company.

We have been racing F1 with a NASCAR team and that doesn't work....and there are some that will prefer to stay with the oval track....nothing wrong with that....but there are many of us that like the roar of a nicely tuned F1 engine....so we are very encouraged !

Communication is improving and things are changing....and we still have and attract the best talent....

ConsThis transition isn't easy or quick....the corporate culture , processes etc need to change....but we have the right team in place to make this happen. ....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communication alive....

Great People. Terrible Company & Management.

Senior Associate (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsThe people you will work with (especially at Manager and below levels) are wonderful, creative & very smart.
    You can (on occasion) get exposed to interesting problems at blue-chip clients and because there's very little organization there's an opportunity to step up
    New CEO (Bernhard Namm) is an excellent human being. Honest, smart, clear in his ideas and very cognizant of the multitude of problems the company has. I wish him the best but worry that he has inherited a poisoned chalice

ConsIn one word: Arnab Gupta (owner and previous CEO)
    By most accounts he's interested in 'big ideas' and his own bottom line but does not have the temperament or will to build a real organization that supports its employees and focuses only on those problems for which we are best suited
    Management has been a mess, part of it is that they are way out of their depth and that their positions have been earned through loyalty rather than merit

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower Bernhard, he's the right leader with the right ideas. Become very focused in what we do and pay a lot more attention to internal talent management before everybody in the US office leaves.

Opera Solutions Response

Apr 28, 2014Manager

Thank you for your review. We agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment on Bernhard and are excited about the new clarity he is bringing and will continue to bring to the organization. But your ... More

Finally, something may change!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsNew CEO, good news, even if he is bad, can't be worse than the previous one!
    The last one was a complete waste of time and money.
    It may be too late for us, but we can try to the end.

ConsAll the good people gone, some of the bad people are still around.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean up some of the bad management that is still with us. They "talk good" but can't deliver.
    Go back to our roots: Consulting.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!