Opera Solutions Reviews

Reset
2.8
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of transparency and broken promises (in 5 reviews)

1. Data Scientist

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

flexible work time; good benifit

Cons

work life balance; over time working

Rise & Fall of Opera : 2010 2-2015 started small with great momentum flourished in 2013 . Then everything is down fall.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Flexibility is the only thing.

Cons

Management is the screw up.
     Owner was less informed about reality.

Advice to Management

Don't fire good CEO's who had brought some lift to souls after so many years . Favourism is something that can lead to bad things as history indicates

Consultant

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Good salary and perks. Best of talented colleagues. Lots of opportunity to learn. Excellent step in my career that provides me with a lot of learning opportunities.

Cons

Expect a lot of travel.

Advice to Management

Make the review process simple. Continue to focus on professional development opportunities for employees. Keep focused on financial growth, kudos to management for letting go of CEO who was not bringing in any revenue or clients.

Fast Learning Curve, Exposure to work on Big Data - Cool Company

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High Paying Job in comparison to other firms in Advanced Analytics / Big Data Space

- Flexible Work Hours - as expected when I joined Opera, I noticed that extreme care is taken to deliver exemplary work but what surprised me is that Managers here are highly flexible and sensitive to your personal time / work hours. Managers you work with are just like you - smart, Knowledgeable, witty and extremely helpful

- Focus on attracting and nurturing right talent - as a school champion, I have seen the rigor which goes into candidate interviews, and attracting right talent / mindset - an important reason which I think will keep this company ahead of market for years to come. Another interesting aspect I noticed is that mentors here keep an eye on your goals (it comes without saying that you are responsible for your on Growth, but if you have questions about what to pick, which areas to explore, there will be senior managers to guide you).

- Exposure to advanced data analytics solutions - the Big Data Platform - Signal Hub - is very powerful and unique. Also, it forms the core of company investment and rightly so, as more this platform matures, better it is for the industry and delivery teams.

- As a Company DNA, Opera only attracts smart and bright candidates, so high-quality deliverable is never an issue.

- Exposure to work with Market Leaders across Industries - the accounts are pretty big and are market leaders. It feels comforting when you notice that you are the science behind lot of campaigns ongoing in the market - it is like "INTEL INSIDE" :)

Cons

- As widely discussed, this company has made a transition from Consulting to Big Data firm, and it has both pros and cons - pros being that there is emphasis on Problem Solving, Discussions and Ideas. The Con is that sometimes it does not feel right to invest time in problem solving every minor detail. It is too much of intellectual concentration - which sometimes seem to be distracted by focus on over-solving EVERY problem.

Advice to Management

1) Focus on sales and expand work with other large companies (I am sure this might be already being done, but thought I should outline).
    2) Start Certification Programs with External Vendors - SAS, R etc.

Join only if no other company hires you anywhere else

Current Employee - Research and Data Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research and Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1.) The best reason to join this company is only if you do not have any other opportunities .
    2.) Another best thing is if you are looking for free friday food

Cons

Can give a whole list of cons which would exceeds 100 times the cons

1.) Worst management ever
    2.) The number of people leaving the company is exponential.
    3.) Work is not organized.
    4.) They would hire bunch of IITians from india and after 4 years they will become managers who would not know how to code. So they have no idea how much effort it would take to complete a task. They keep pushing you till you broke down.
    5.) If you join as a junior they will literally give you manual labor tasks. You will not learn a single thing and would end up in this company for a long time doing the excel work.
    6.) Teams are located across the globe . so you will end up working 24*7 . Work distribution is the worst.

7.) work life balance is the worst among 3 companies i worked ,

Advice to Management

Please try to make sure people are satisfied with what they are doing. No one will be able their mouth if you want to talk face to face. So one-one meeting is not the way to know employees difficulties .

Time to wrap up

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Management Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Management Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Three CEO in three Years, three business plans in three years. Management is most confused consulting or product development ? Sr. Data scientist or junior developer. They still have free Boos and ping pong table :).

Cons

Telent is leaving faster then snow comming down in Boson. nothing left on floor all empty. Please do not read other reviews which are total bogus. No one cares what you doing ? Hiring and firing on month to month bases. Less revenue then fire, new project then hire... Keep it simle is their motto. Pardon me for being point blank.

Advice to Management

NONE. Pack up your bags and enjoy summer, Since you are not paying any vacation pay or severence, enjoy all the saved money. Karma will catch up to you soon,

I like this company right now.

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

• Small company atmosphere, where you can dive in and help without hitting barriers that you’ll meet in more established companies. At the same time the company has well-established infrastructure in IT and support so you can get your work done. You don’t have to wear all the hats, but can (and probably will) work on various projects so you can both learn and contribute.
    • Established solutions to build on, you don’t have to start from scratch.
    • Competitive health benefits and excellent compensation.
    • And of course opportunities. This company is growing and it’s in a very hot space with data and analytics. Opera has many solutions running at fortune 500 companies and there’s more than enough work to drive the growth.
    • Through the ups and downs, successes and failures, the Signal Hub vision has not only survived, but matured into a core part of the many solutions being delivered. This is cool emerging technology that has huge potential for growth.

Cons

• An effective layer of management between the highest executives and the project-focused workers is still under construction. It’ll get there, but at this time if you need a manager to run to, your probably not going to fit in.
    • Workforce is global, literally. Communications and managing work across so many time zones is challenging.

Advice to Management

In addition to all the stuff you are already doing, strive to find/build that functional layer between you and "everyone else" through with you can effectively and regularly communicate.

Good momentum building...

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The analytic talent and ability to deliver effective solutions is amazing. Opera's capability to provide deep and effective predictive and prescriptive analytics is way beyond just another "Big Data" bolt-on play. A lot of companies are touting Big Data effectiveness, but no one is doing what Opera is doing. The quality of people at Opera is phenomenal hence our ability to do things that other companies can not.

Cons

The old "consulting culture" is changing as more systems & structure are put into place, but it can't change quickly enough. It seems that there is not a system in place, so the "silo-ed" business functions don't have a way to share progress and success across the entire company (beyond water-cooler talk or a paragraph in an email).

Advice to Management

Continue to seek and find the "outlier" talent... not just people with the big-name company pedigree, but the builder, the self-motivator, the driven-by-heart not numbers player. Continue to strive towards excellence to celebrate and demonstrate our effectiveness so everyone is proud of our "wins". Continue the struggle towards culture change.

Not as good as management reviews would indicate, but also not as bad as fleeing employee reviews would indicate either

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I should caveat this review by saying that I was a US based resource and experiences can be very different in other offices. Also, there is a ton of variance between good projects and bad projects so two individuals in the same office with the same title can have a very different experience.

I was fortunate to land some good projects with some strong teams. I received great exposure to predictive analytics / machine learning and consulting while at Opera. I worked on some very challenging and interesting projects. Predictive analytics / machine learning / Big Data is a very hot space right now so experience in these areas allows for a lot of flexibility.

I also met some great people (also see cons). Work-life balance was very reasonable for me.

The worst is probably behind the company as the company hit a bottom 6 months to a year back and Opera seems to be building some positive momentum. We'll see if that lasts.

Cons

A few years back this company was attracting top talent both across the globe. That's not the case anymore, though some talented folks still remain. It was painful to see the difference between 2 years back and now since there were so many highly talented, awesome people to be around. There are much fewer that remain.

Bonuses inconsistent / nonexistent, though perhaps that is a thing of the past. Promotions not really merit based and generally inconsistent.

Senior management has generally been pretty terrible in the past.

Advice to Management

Replacing your lost US talent with resources from India and China is not a good long term solution. You must start hiring more US resources.

Improved focus on what matters

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to leading edge projects at some the world's best companies. I have not had any issues with personal growth, there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to expand their skills and try new things. In my experience I've found the exec team to be very approachable if you reach out to them with an idea. As more companies learn of our capabilities we'll have more work than we can handle at current staffing levels.

Cons

The company is geographically dispersed, which has pros and cons (such as timezones). Seems as though many people are so focused on their individual projects that they don't see the big picture and vision for the company.

Advice to Management

Double-down on the technology and projects that matter most. Our capabilities have been proven valuable and we need to maintain our leadership in a growing market. This means applying more resources to developing core technology that will appeal to a growing number of mainstream customers.

RSS Feed </> Embed