Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A ride unlike any other

ProsVery smart and driven colleagues.

Extremely interesting problems.

Great access to top executives at leading firms.

Flat org structure and good development opportunities (but sink or swim).

Never a dull moment.

ConsVery unpredictable - not for the faint of heart.

Company direction is still fluid but getting much better over last 3 months. Slowly moving away from historic issues driven by never seeing a problem we couldn't solve.

Still some lingering complainers left who should just leave the firm instead of spending their time taking shots at a company that they're still a part of. Things change. Challenges happen. Get over it or quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. The last 2 quarters have put us on a path of open communication and steadily increasing revenue growth that will help us build an amazing company.

Doing what it takes to succeed

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Pros1. Developing and validating a entirely new technology platform being adopted by some of the largest corporations in the world. A true game changer. Increasingly proven.
    2. Passionate leadership who believe in what they do and responding and adapting to challenges.
    3. Moving to giving our young associates a chance to take leadership much faster than we could get elsewhere
    4. New CEO has put in a structure with much greater accountability and focus which will payoff.
    5. Truly global company with significant opportunities to see the world.
    6. Business problems at the cutting edge. Unique.

Cons1.truly traumatic transition from a service company to a technology led company. Resulted in dislocation and loss of identity and affiliation for many of us.
    2. Processes such as incentives and staffing in disarray which made life unpleasant and difficult. Being fixed and getting better.
    3. High attrition particularly in the service group as the new direction did not fit. A double edged sword as costs declined and gave us more junior people more opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo many vitriolic complaints from current and ex employees. Nobody is forcing you to stay. Many of us like the challenges and the direction. Building something new is always difficult. If you don't like it just quit. You will be doing all of us a favor. I don't believe any company can give you as intense, compressed and high quality experience as this company can.
    Keep focused and stay the course. The best revenge is success. Many big deals being closed. The momentum seems to be gaining force.

Opportunity to interact with others cultures.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsThe company has been an opportunity for me growth in the professional area. Colleagues are very nice, fun, smart, easy to get along with so many different cultures.

ConsManagement has been shaddy this past three year and not clear what they wanted. Poor management levels as well and G&A not pay well accordingly to today's living cost.

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize your employees effort to work and clearly project trust and wisdom as of where you want to take the company in the future.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opera is trying to stay afloat but way too many holes - not looking good

Vice President (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSome interesting projects, nice views from the office, currently there is probably a good opportunity for advancement given the mass exodus (very, very, very high attrition recently)

ConsThere aren't very many good people left, the vast majority of the employee base (~90%) has been at Opera for < 2 years, no culture, shady moves by mgmt, inability to staff projects sufficiently given the high attrition = very high risk of not being able to deliver current engagements and recently sold engagements (clients beware), very bad benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new job - everyone else is looking, so should you (you probably already are)

Hopeless Place to Work

Director (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsNice office view of Hudson river.
    No one cares what you are doing (Pro for slackers). Otherwise see no pros and hope.
    Management talks all positive that's it.

ConsManagement confused as ever product company or consulting company. Make you work hard and when time comes of payout rules are changed so as delay the incentive and then pay few hundreds.
    Management is clueless, frequent Town Hall's and talks. Busy flying around the world and cares least about employees.
    Big Data is all BS. None of their products are delivered on time and as promised (Quality is out of question)
    Please check with the customers, they are all very dis-satisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, It is damaged beyond repair. Every year new philosophy with new management and rules.

Look elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree lunch on Friday, free food in the kitchen.
    There were many, many good reasons to join this company. But these days are long gone.

ConsPolitical and confused senior management ruined a great company and started an unstoppable talent exodus. Future looks really uncertain, with an attrition rate never seen before. Offices are empty end depressing.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Good place to work

ProsPersonal Growth and huge learning

ConsNeed some training session for employees

Poor work environment

ProsBlue Chip Clients base. Reasonably good science base.

ConsLack of transparency from management.

A day late, $114M short...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBright folks before layoffs and mass exodus
    Friday lunch / office snacks

ConsBleak outlook for most verticals
    No visibility into reviews, promotions, or bonus structure
    Claims to be a products company when there is very little sw development expertise
    Every year becomes the "worst year" for the firm
    Change of direction every quarter is not yielding required results

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it's not a products company
    Former CEO involvement may hinder progress

Amazing people, chaotic direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsOpera is very flexible. They have big dreams and investors with deep pockets. It has the feel of a start up but slightly more stability. They pay very competitively and the people I've worked with have been fantastic.

ConsManagement is shifting, as of May 2014, they have a new CEO. He seems very capable and will hopefully turn around the chaos. Before the company seemed content to half-commit to too many different directions. Marching orders often changed and there was virtually no accountability. They're working really hard to clean this up now, and the future does have tons of potential

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seems to be a greater need to accountability and a more formal channel for people to talk about their supervisors if they see mismanagement and waste.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!