Opera Solutions

Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann
Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Detailed Notes on my experiences with Opera

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company due to many reasons, some of which I have tried to outline below in detail:

1) Highly Talented Peer Group - I have worked in many firms both in US and India, and with that experience, I must say that I have been highly impressed by the talent pool here in Opera. It comes from the fact that the firm hires from the best schools across the globe, with specific DNA in the employees. It is due to this fact that you will always find resources at Opera coming up with innovative and smart solutions to the difficult and complex industry problems. No matter how crucial the opening is - it is emphasized to hire ONLY "right" candidate. My top reason to vouch for this ambitious and smart talent pool.

2) Freedom to choose Career Paths - In Opera, I started with Process re-design Consulting 3 years back for one of the top financial US institutions, then I decided to move to Procurement practice area and Opera supported me with this move. I worked with clients in US, Europe and India on multiple procurement initiatives. And then - figuring out my passion - I decided to move to Product Management and I started working with one of the top Products team as a Product Manager - I led development of leading products in supply chain industry. After 3 years, I decided to move to the core Products Group - and the firm supported my move. Where else would I have found such support - only at a place where employer understands power of playing employees to their strengths. It is completely different at Opera, where I get to choose what I love, and company is open in helping me find my passion. My experience with my last large US based employer (top Consulting firm) was completely different where I was stuck with an Account and a Practice Area - the attitude there was that I was too small to be cared. I think being entrepreneurial is one of the DNAs of a typical successful Opera resource.

3) Respect for Talent - I was going through some of the other posts on this site, and noticed that most of the posts seem to be written by ex-Operaites who could not cope up with the talented peer group - I could not stop but smile (knowing that the firm is not meant for all and management knows that). As a company, I have high regard for Opera and its management - since only resources - who are smart and highly driven to bring change in client environments - are respected at Opera. Others - either leave or are requested to go - seem to be writing on these portals. So much negativity for a place where only smart people survive - if it is too much for an average Joe, then s/he never understood the core DNA of Opera. I would provide an alternate to anyone reading these reviews - simple way to test waters is to connect with any of the top universities in the world and get feedback from the seniors/ peers.

4) Clear Vision/ transparent policies - I had concerns like everyone else, but ever since Company came up with a clear vision statement [correct move], I have realized that all decisions are focused in line with our vision. Also, the management made all the policies in the company transparent. Folks who are complaining about these policies, are the ones who were getting benefited with lack of clear policies. I am very happy knowing exactly what we focus on as a company, and how we are doing in realizing the dream.

5) Open Channel to Management - I have not seen any company where you could connect with CEO/ Chairman directly, and you get response within a day. I love this initiative taken by Opera 6 months back. Most of the folks on this portal - who are complaining - should try working in any of the big names around the world and try to connect with their CEOs. In any case, company has a large talent pool and they are driven to bring change both internally and externally - the complacent ones are finding themselves misfits and are either requested to leave or realize that this is not a place for them. Bottom line - the company becomes better and better each day with clear accountability across the ladder.

6) Challenging Problems/ Cutting edge research - One of the reasons that we attract best talents in the world is with the the nature of work - the firms get you to work on one of the toughest problems in the world, and be part of the change. I have seen new joinees sitting in front of the clients and getting exposed to the real world problems here - and not stuck with "client is only for senior team members" syndrome.

7) Above Par Pay Scale - Opera has been one of the better paying firms - compare it with any of the competitors and you will realize that you work hard and you earn more - seems like a proposition in line with DNA of the highly driven people - work hard, get paid better.

I can go on and on, but this will give you an idea of how a company - driven with a passion to innovate (as our DNA) - can be the one stop address for the most complex industry problems - put forward by clients. They trust us and we deliver on their trust....

Cons

No firm is perfect, and a small firm like Opera has some improvement areas too. It is part of the change that will happen over time. I think it is important that you take yourself as one of the levers to push these changes. Some of the improvement areas in my list for the firm are:

1) Lack of Dedicated Sales Resources - Though I don't mind playing multiple roles at mid-management position as it gives me an opportunity to learn and I love doing that, but not having dedicated sales team impacts company's market reach. Also, it distracts Account Management and Delivery teams from their core focus areas. Management has repeatedly mentioned that they understand this problem, and step in themselves (150%+) to support key client pitches - in fact, most of the large accounts are attracted by the name of the management team. This is one of the areas I would like to see improving over years as we invest in sales team. If you want to join Opera, be careful that you will be requested to support some of the ongoing client pitches - so if you are one of the lazy 8-4 guy, Opera isn't a place for you .. may be one of the larger ones with ton of money to keep resources on bench would be a better choice for you.

2) No Clear Firing Policy - One of the things I think this company should adopt is a really good firing policy. I have seen that resources are given enough chances to grow before they are asked to leave - there should be a quick firing if the resource can't cope up with the job requirements. Why waste everyone's time and frustrate the peers. Something I would like Management to seriously think about in the near future. PIP program exists on paper - but rarely used.

3) Training Programs - this is one of the areas where initiatives like Opera University has covered some ground, but in general, the company could focus more on training employees. Most of the training programs currently run informally - when you are around smart folks you learn skills on the feet as well. This is one of the initiatives that will be taken up by the firm in near future. If you are looking for formal certificates so that you can switch jobs, then Opera is not a place for you.

1) As company transitioned from being a Consulting firm to a Big Data Platform company, lot of employees could not cope up with the transition. They wanted to sit back and relax, and earn free salaries - the management was smart enough to track individual performances, and let go employees who were simply misfits. It was not an easy transition, but management did an awesome job in steering ship to different waters.... My suggestion is to keep identifying the misfits and either put them on PIP Programs or ask them to leave.
    2) Clearly Defined Firing Policy and Training Program (covered in detail in Cons)

Best of luck with the momentum. There are always employees - who look for easy bucks, but the ones who understand potential of the idea and want to be part of the change - will always stand right next to you.

Was fabulous at one time

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

The flexibility you have, interaction with others culture was amazing

Cons

Management just awful. Not posibility for GA to growth within the company

New management needs transparency and balance. A lot of promises and nothing happen, also keep in mind you need to value your loyal employees and GA also deserves respect like others

Very talented individuals at the junior level, CEO has a core vision of becoming a great Data Science Company

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible work hours. Company is comfortable with a work from home policy
    - Great talent at pre-manager levels

Cons

- Company is transitioning from consulting services to Data Science
    - History of witholding bonus payments

- Focus on core-areas for improvement
     - Provide enhanced training

Weird and bazaar place. Like working in a David Lynch movie.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Not sure. I like to find the good in everything but it would be a stretch here.

Cons

Management lacks emotional intelligence. Attrition is so high you meet someone one week, they are gone the next. No one seems to know who does what. Internal process is cumbersome and absurd. People walk around with scowls on their face. I would be very afraid to come here unless you are desperate for work and have no other options.

Maybe the new CEO will change things but it wont happen soon. I would look very closely at management.....

Good place to start analytics career

Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, lots of career growth opportunities. Colleagues are smart and fun. Exposure to number of of top financial service companies

Cons

No work life balance, lots of travelling. Have to do conference calls in the night with colleagues from China or India. Struggling with transition from providing consulting service to selling products

Beware of posts from ex-employees let go from Opera (posing as current employees) and throwing darts from their new home

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Doing big things in a white hot space.

Highly entrepreneurial culture and fluid work environment - you will grow faster at Opera than almost anywhere.

Cons

Lack of clearly structured environment and defined processes is not for everyone.

Stay the course - we'll get there

Beware of posts from Management employees of Opera

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Where to start !!!!! Except flex hours I see no positive in this company

Cons

You can write best seller on it
    There is hardly one happy client with successful implementation. Just like any other consulting firm good at talking.
    Lately with very low moral among employee, started paying bonus .. How about $100 !!! .. it is absolute ridiculous Most of the doers are juniors and are left to figure out solution on "Google". Join only if you are desperate for job
    Last two years absolutely downhill with no brakes and waiting for crash

Instead of free Drinks and Food, focus on delivery quality and invest in your current work force to bring them up to speed. Also share the truth and do not sell bogus dreams.

Wasted Talent

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, interesting analytics problems

Cons

No concept of work-life balance, career devlopment, etc. company never made the leap from consulting to analytics. BA Business student may be replaceable cogs, but PhD scientists aren't.

Don't waste your talent

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers, very global so you get to interact across every time zone possible often in the same day, new CEO who is just begging for someone to lead so great opportunity to look smart even if you have no clue, high turnover allows for ample opportunity for those with no experience to try out senior roles and pad their resumes for the next gig.

Cons

Everybody who is smart is leaving so fast that you may not have enough time to update your linked in profile before the next job search. Benefits change every year so you can't possibly figure out if your getting screwed unless you compare them to normal companies.

Stop the games you are playing with people's lives you haven't done a thing for employees over the past two years and you seem more intent on screwing people over than actually building a business please stop and for once treat employees with respect perhaps you could take some sensitivity training since you are basically rehashing the same failing strategy year over year so you must have some free time.

Lost in Translation

Former Employee - IT Operations Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - IT Operations Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay
    Good opportunity to learn

Cons

Bad Management
    No Direction
    No one speaks English enough to understand
    Not hiring the best people - Interviewers who are not qualified

Hire another company to perform interviews. Hire more US citizens. Work on finding a direction and business objectives