Opera Solutions Reviews

Reset
2.8
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Lack of transparency and broken promises (in 5 reviews)

1. Data Scientist

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

flexible work time; good benifit

Cons

work life balance; over time working

Strong momentum, collaborative work culture, great people

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

High Growth Market Space - Big Data:. After observing Opera’s work closely in big data analytics projects in marketing domain, the phrase has finally come to mean more than a buzzword to me.
    Positive Client Feedback: Opera has clearly defined its focus on Signal Hub - it is encouraging to see extremely positive feedback from clients for the firm’s analytics capabilities and IP.
    Great People: Opera has amazing talent - there are a lot of positive vibes and energy around teams working on ongoing projects. With many new deals kicking in and momentum picking up again, it is an exciting time to be a part of the firm!
    Approachable Senior Leadership: While working on a strategic initiative, I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable senior leadership at the head office is!

Cons

Lack of awareness about Opera’s core offering - Signal Hub - at India Office. Optimism needs to percolate to India office.
    Under-utilization of resources from India office on analytics projects
    Work culture at India office can become better- existing flexibility in working hours should be maintained, senior leadership at India office needs to be more approachable
    Too much effort going into a few ongoing non/marginally profitable projects

Advice to Management

Build on the ongoing momentum and target a steep growth trajectory
    Share your views, optimism and expectations company-wide - especially with India office. Frequency and medium are very important.
    Chalk out and implement a comprehensive talent management program to check attrition

Exciting 3 Years in terms of Learning and Meeting Talent in Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Multiple challenging and exciting ongoing engagements to drive your career trajectory - interestingly if you have right mindset and neck to learn, you will have ton of choices to drive your career path.
    2) Learning curve is really steep here as you have a choice to pick from science, analytics and consulting work ... I switched my core focus from Consulting to Analytics and Scientists in the company were really helpful, especially the Chief Scientist and she supported my choice. Thankfully, I have performed to Management's expectation and I got steep learning in return (which is priceless in my opinion).
    3) Talented Peer Group - It is amazing to notice diverse and talented peer group here - answer to any complex industry problem reside around you (it sounds an overstatement but it is true). Lot of codification is done in terms of signals/ insights - having said that, you can't codify Human Brain - and one of the best Pro in Opera is an extremely Talented Resource pool

Cons

1) Inflow of large projects have not been consistent, and it opens up bandwidth in the workforce. More multiple years deal need to be signed to ensure that resources remain engaged. Couple of my friends were poached by a competitor firm, which I found annoying especially since exposure here in Opera is way more than any other company could offer.
    2) Flow of resources between Consulting And Analytics should be streamlined - I was lucky but there might be other resources who might be good and might be thinking about making move to Analytics - it should be formalized.

Advice to Management

We should invest more time on hiring and retaining scientists. Another suggestion is that we should focus on identifying resources who are smart and might be tuned to be great in Analytics - can those be trained through proper training programs?

Fast Learning Curve, Exposure to work on Big Data - Cool Company

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High Paying Job in comparison to other firms in Advanced Analytics / Big Data Space

- Flexible Work Hours - as expected when I joined Opera, I noticed that extreme care is taken to deliver exemplary work but what surprised me is that Managers here are highly flexible and sensitive to your personal time / work hours. Managers you work with are just like you - smart, Knowledgeable, witty and extremely helpful

- Focus on attracting and nurturing right talent - as a school champion, I have seen the rigor which goes into candidate interviews, and attracting right talent / mindset - an important reason which I think will keep this company ahead of market for years to come. Another interesting aspect I noticed is that mentors here keep an eye on your goals (it comes without saying that you are responsible for your on Growth, but if you have questions about what to pick, which areas to explore, there will be senior managers to guide you).

- Exposure to advanced data analytics solutions - the Big Data Platform - Signal Hub - is very powerful and unique. Also, it forms the core of company investment and rightly so, as more this platform matures, better it is for the industry and delivery teams.

- As a Company DNA, Opera only attracts smart and bright candidates, so high-quality deliverable is never an issue.

- Exposure to work with Market Leaders across Industries - the accounts are pretty big and are market leaders. It feels comforting when you notice that you are the science behind lot of campaigns ongoing in the market - it is like "INTEL INSIDE" :)

Cons

- As widely discussed, this company has made a transition from Consulting to Big Data firm, and it has both pros and cons - pros being that there is emphasis on Problem Solving, Discussions and Ideas. The Con is that sometimes it does not feel right to invest time in problem solving every minor detail. It is too much of intellectual concentration - which sometimes seem to be distracted by focus on over-solving EVERY problem.

Advice to Management

1) Focus on sales and expand work with other large companies (I am sure this might be already being done, but thought I should outline).
    2) Start Certification Programs with External Vendors - SAS, R etc.

Good momentum building...

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The analytic talent and ability to deliver effective solutions is amazing. Opera's capability to provide deep and effective predictive and prescriptive analytics is way beyond just another "Big Data" bolt-on play. A lot of companies are touting Big Data effectiveness, but no one is doing what Opera is doing. The quality of people at Opera is phenomenal hence our ability to do things that other companies can not.

Cons

The old "consulting culture" is changing as more systems & structure are put into place, but it can't change quickly enough. It seems that there is not a system in place, so the "silo-ed" business functions don't have a way to share progress and success across the entire company (beyond water-cooler talk or a paragraph in an email).

Advice to Management

Continue to seek and find the "outlier" talent... not just people with the big-name company pedigree, but the builder, the self-motivator, the driven-by-heart not numbers player. Continue to strive towards excellence to celebrate and demonstrate our effectiveness so everyone is proud of our "wins". Continue the struggle towards culture change.

Detailed Notes on my experiences with Opera

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company due to many reasons, some of which I have tried to outline below in detail:

1) Highly Talented Peer Group - I have worked in many firms both in US and India, and with that experience, I must say that I have been highly impressed by the talent pool here in Opera. It comes from the fact that the firm hires from the best schools across the globe, with specific DNA in the employees. It is due to this fact that you will always find resources at Opera coming up with innovative and smart solutions to the difficult and complex industry problems. No matter how crucial the opening is - it is emphasized to hire ONLY "right" candidate. My top reason to vouch for this ambitious and smart talent pool.

2) Freedom to choose Career Paths - In Opera, I started with Process re-design Consulting 3 years back for one of the top financial US institutions, then I decided to move to Procurement practice area and Opera supported me with this move. I worked with clients in US, Europe and India on multiple procurement initiatives. And then - figuring out my passion - I decided to move to Product Management and I started working with one of the top Products team as a Product Manager - I led development of leading products in supply chain industry. After 3 years, I decided to move to the core Products Group - and the firm supported my move. Where else would I have found such support - only at a place where employer understands power of playing employees to their strengths. It is completely different at Opera, where I get to choose what I love, and company is open in helping me find my passion. My experience with my last large US based employer (top Consulting firm) was completely different where I was stuck with an Account and a Practice Area - the attitude there was that I was too small to be cared. I think being entrepreneurial is one of the DNAs of a typical successful Opera resource.

3) Respect for Talent - I was going through some of the other posts on this site, and noticed that most of the posts seem to be written by ex-Operaites who could not cope up with the talented peer group - I could not stop but smile (knowing that the firm is not meant for all and management knows that). As a company, I have high regard for Opera and its management - since only resources - who are smart and highly driven to bring change in client environments - are respected at Opera. Others - either leave or are requested to go - seem to be writing on these portals. So much negativity for a place where only smart people survive - if it is too much for an average Joe, then s/he never understood the core DNA of Opera. I would provide an alternate to anyone reading these reviews - simple way to test waters is to connect with any of the top universities in the world and get feedback from the seniors/ peers.

4) Clear Vision/ transparent policies - I had concerns like everyone else, but ever since Company came up with a clear vision statement [correct move], I have realized that all decisions are focused in line with our vision. Also, the management made all the policies in the company transparent. Folks who are complaining about these policies, are the ones who were getting benefited with lack of clear policies. I am very happy knowing exactly what we focus on as a company, and how we are doing in realizing the dream.

5) Open Channel to Management - I have not seen any company where you could connect with CEO/ Chairman directly, and you get response within a day. I love this initiative taken by Opera 6 months back. Most of the folks on this portal - who are complaining - should try working in any of the big names around the world and try to connect with their CEOs. In any case, company has a large talent pool and they are driven to bring change both internally and externally - the complacent ones are finding themselves misfits and are either requested to leave or realize that this is not a place for them. Bottom line - the company becomes better and better each day with clear accountability across the ladder.

6) Challenging Problems/ Cutting edge research - One of the reasons that we attract best talents in the world is with the the nature of work - the firms get you to work on one of the toughest problems in the world, and be part of the change. I have seen new joinees sitting in front of the clients and getting exposed to the real world problems here - and not stuck with "client is only for senior team members" syndrome.

7) Above Par Pay Scale - Opera has been one of the better paying firms - compare it with any of the competitors and you will realize that you work hard and you earn more - seems like a proposition in line with DNA of the highly driven people - work hard, get paid better.

I can go on and on, but this will give you an idea of how a company - driven with a passion to innovate (as our DNA) - can be the one stop address for the most complex industry problems - put forward by clients. They trust us and we deliver on their trust....

Cons

No firm is perfect, and a small firm like Opera has some improvement areas too. It is part of the change that will happen over time. I think it is important that you take yourself as one of the levers to push these changes. Some of the improvement areas in my list for the firm are:

1) Lack of Dedicated Sales Resources - Though I don't mind playing multiple roles at mid-management position as it gives me an opportunity to learn and I love doing that, but not having dedicated sales team impacts company's market reach. Also, it distracts Account Management and Delivery teams from their core focus areas. Management has repeatedly mentioned that they understand this problem, and step in themselves (150%+) to support key client pitches - in fact, most of the large accounts are attracted by the name of the management team. This is one of the areas I would like to see improving over years as we invest in sales team. If you want to join Opera, be careful that you will be requested to support some of the ongoing client pitches - so if you are one of the lazy 8-4 guy, Opera isn't a place for you .. may be one of the larger ones with ton of money to keep resources on bench would be a better choice for you.

2) No Clear Firing Policy - One of the things I think this company should adopt is a really good firing policy. I have seen that resources are given enough chances to grow before they are asked to leave - there should be a quick firing if the resource can't cope up with the job requirements. Why waste everyone's time and frustrate the peers. Something I would like Management to seriously think about in the near future. PIP program exists on paper - but rarely used.

3) Training Programs - this is one of the areas where initiatives like Opera University has covered some ground, but in general, the company could focus more on training employees. Most of the training programs currently run informally - when you are around smart folks you learn skills on the feet as well. This is one of the initiatives that will be taken up by the firm in near future. If you are looking for formal certificates so that you can switch jobs, then Opera is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

1) As company transitioned from being a Consulting firm to a Big Data Platform company, lot of employees could not cope up with the transition. They wanted to sit back and relax, and earn free salaries - the management was smart enough to track individual performances, and let go employees who were simply misfits. It was not an easy transition, but management did an awesome job in steering ship to different waters.... My suggestion is to keep identifying the misfits and either put them on PIP Programs or ask them to leave.
    2) Clearly Defined Firing Policy and Training Program (covered in detail in Cons)

Best of luck with the momentum. There are always employees - who look for easy bucks, but the ones who understand potential of the idea and want to be part of the change - will always stand right next to you.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Solutions Associate in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to work, very good peer group, interesting projects

Cons

still figuring out internal policies

Beware of posts from ex-employees let go from Opera (posing as current employees) and throwing darts from their new home

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Doing big things in a white hot space.

Highly entrepreneurial culture and fluid work environment - you will grow faster at Opera than almost anywhere.

Cons

Lack of clearly structured environment and defined processes is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Stay the course - we'll get there

Great people to work with. Passion driven

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Friendly environment, everyone is ready to help. Promotions totally based on merit.
    Performance based incentives at the end of the year

Cons

No major challenges as such, as it is a young firm process is evolving and with the pace of growth, things will fall into place.

Getting better!

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New upper management. Seems like they’re starting to listen to their staff and making real changes, starting at the top. New CEO seems to be focused on communication and transparency with weekly emails, which is greatly needed. I’m encouraged by his approach to take stock of the company and fill us in on his findings as he goes. I have high hopes for him and believe he’ll be able to effect real change.

Cons

Many processes are still too slow. Middle and upper management needs to provide more timely feedback and communication for staff.

Advice to Management

Try to remember your people are your greatest asset. “Thank you” and honest communication about next steps regarding promotions, projects, and reassignments go a long way. Even if you don’t have the answers we want, letting us know where you are in the process is a step in the right direction.

Advice to fellow employees: This company hires a lot of people fresh out of school, which means they’re young millennials with high (unrealistic) expectations and little perspective. While things at Opera have not been perfect, they could be so much worse. We’ve gone through a huge transition — or three — but I’ll take that over a “this is the way it’s always been done” mentality any day.

RSS Feed </> Embed