Opera Solutions

Updated January 27, 2015
2.7

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann
Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Opera Solutions totally sucks!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Good Work-life balance (That's it). Nothing else is spectacular about Opera Solutions India

Cons

Very High Attrition (upto 75%) for IIT Hires in India, as a result no good managers are left, only mediocre leadership is left at the firm. A lot of discrimination between US and India Employees (promotions, work-life balance, responsibility), NO Travel for majority of the India office, Every few months people say the company will improve but all efforts go down the drain. Dearth of projects (half the office sits unstaffed), no opportunities for growth. Was once a good consulting firm, but this new data analytics space that they want to function out of is totally in the air!

Talk to your employees - lot of insecurity out there, improve the office culture, hire managers and leaders

I like this company right now.

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

• Small company atmosphere, where you can dive in and help without hitting barriers that you’ll meet in more established companies. At the same time the company has well-established infrastructure in IT and support so you can get your work done. You don’t have to wear all the hats, but can (and probably will) work on various projects so you can both learn and contribute.
    • Established solutions to build on, you don’t have to start from scratch.
    • Competitive health benefits and excellent compensation.
    • And of course opportunities. This company is growing and it’s in a very hot space with data and analytics. Opera has many solutions running at fortune 500 companies and there’s more than enough work to drive the growth.
    • Through the ups and downs, successes and failures, the Signal Hub vision has not only survived, but matured into a core part of the many solutions being delivered. This is cool emerging technology that has huge potential for growth.

Cons

• An effective layer of management between the highest executives and the project-focused workers is still under construction. It’ll get there, but at this time if you need a manager to run to, your probably not going to fit in.
    • Workforce is global, literally. Communications and managing work across so many time zones is challenging.

In addition to all the stuff you are already doing, strive to find/build that functional layer between you and "everyone else" through with you can effectively and regularly communicate.

Worked at Snapdeal

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

Open Culture. Flexible Work timing and challenge work

Cons

they should work on peer equity to maintain peer satisfaction

Upper management should be transparent to convey the vision of company

No sense of direction

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure, greater responsibilities and hence learning, great peer group, outstanding work life balance, above average pay for initial years

Cons

senior management lacks vision and direction..bunch of quickly promoted personnel not mature enough to run india operations..discrimination in promotions based on geography (india employee in us/uk based client project will be promoted above peer working out of india office for india client project)

1. provide better career guidance and convey company's sense of direction
    2. when bringing changes, prove relevance to all service lines
    3. address promotions as incentive for good work and not a tool to retain disgruntled employees

Lack of management guidance, limited investment into the company, minimal infrastructure

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people below the management layer

Cons

Management head completely in the sand, no understanding of the 'Big Data' marketplace or client opportunities

Improve business development organization, hire better delivery resources, focus on marketplace to guide product development

Improved focus on what matters

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to leading edge projects at some the world's best companies. I have not had any issues with personal growth, there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to expand their skills and try new things. In my experience I've found the exec team to be very approachable if you reach out to them with an idea. As more companies learn of our capabilities we'll have more work than we can handle at current staffing levels.

Cons

The company is geographically dispersed, which has pros and cons (such as timezones). Seems as though many people are so focused on their individual projects that they don't see the big picture and vision for the company.

Double-down on the technology and projects that matter most. Our capabilities have been proven valuable and we need to maintain our leadership in a growing market. This means applying more resources to developing core technology that will appeal to a growing number of mainstream customers.

Good momentum building...

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The analytic talent and ability to deliver effective solutions is amazing. Opera's capability to provide deep and effective predictive and prescriptive analytics is way beyond just another "Big Data" bolt-on play. A lot of companies are touting Big Data effectiveness, but no one is doing what Opera is doing. The quality of people at Opera is phenomenal hence our ability to do things that other companies can not.

Cons

The old "consulting culture" is changing as more systems & structure are put into place, but it can't change quickly enough. It seems that there is not a system in place, so the "silo-ed" business functions don't have a way to share progress and success across the entire company (beyond water-cooler talk or a paragraph in an email).

Continue to seek and find the "outlier" talent... not just people with the big-name company pedigree, but the builder, the self-motivator, the driven-by-heart not numbers player. Continue to strive towards excellence to celebrate and demonstrate our effectiveness so everyone is proud of our "wins". Continue the struggle towards culture change.

Dodgy practices by HR and Management

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

None. The COOs do deals that make no sense and only prop up their own egos.

Cons

Are known for not paying people for untaken vacation time when laid off or fired - whick is illegal. The COOs are famous for running people into the ground and then firing them. The current theory is they have compromising photos of the board otherwise they'd be fired. No one knows why they're still allowed to be there.

Close your doors.

Great Place

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

work-life balance, small teams, good salary and perks

Cons

upper management level politics,

Directionless organization with no respect for junior workforce

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

1 .Flexi Timing
    2. Young and dynamic work force

Cons

1.There is no concept of work life balance in the organisation- its either no work or work till 3 am and on weekends kind of situation
    2. Company has no idea where its headed towards, we take up anything and everything that comes our way even if we don't have resources or expertise to complete the task. The result- point 1 for resources involved and then usually projects don't go beyond the POC stage and the effort goes in waste
    3. Junior resources have no say or aren't kept in consideration for any policy change in the company. No clear growth structure, no encouragement to venture out of their respective BUs to discover their interest areas and don't expect any benefits or respect if you are working at anything junior then a business analyst level. They say they have a very flat hierarchy but that is just on paper and whatever exists, only exists at the senior management level.

There are alot of good things that get proposed every 6 months but I haven't seen anything concrete happening. Also you need to look beyond the senior management. Also if you don't realize that you have an opportunity to groom your junior resources to take up bigger roles and responsibilities and treat them with respect, soon enough you will be back to the attrition rate you were looking at last financial year.