Opera Solutions Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Not as good as management reviews would indicate, but also not as bad as fleeing employee reviews would indicate either

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I should caveat this review by saying that I was a US based resource and experiences can be very different in other offices. Also, there is a ton of variance between good projects and bad projects so two individuals in the same office with the same title can have a very different experience. I was fortunate to land some good projects with some strong teams. I received great exposure to predictive analytics / machine learning and consulting while at Opera. I worked on some very challenging and interesting projects. Predictive analytics / machine learning / Big Data is a very hot space right now so experience in these areas allows for a lot of flexibility. I also met some great people (also see cons). Work-life balance was very reasonable for me. The worst is probably behind the company as the company hit a bottom 6 months to a year back and Opera seems to be building some positive momentum. We'll see if that lasts.

Cons

A few years back this company was attracting top talent both across the globe. That's not the case anymore, though some talented folks still remain. It was painful to see the difference between 2 years back and now since there were so many highly talented, awesome people to be around. There are much fewer that remain. Bonuses inconsistent / nonexistent, though perhaps that is a thing of the past. Promotions not really merit based and generally inconsistent. Senior management has generally been pretty terrible in the past.

Advice to Management

Replacing your lost US talent with resources from India and China is not a good long term solution. You must start hiring more US resources.

Improved focus on what matters

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to leading edge projects at some the world's best companies. I have not had any issues with personal growth, there are plenty of opportunities for those willing to expand their skills and try new things. In my experience I've found the exec team to be very approachable if you reach out to them with an idea. As more companies learn of our capabilities we'll have more work than we can handle at current staffing levels.

Cons

The company is geographically dispersed, which has pros and cons (such as timezones). Seems as though many people are so focused on their individual projects that they don't see the big picture and vision for the company.

Advice to Management

Double-down on the technology and projects that matter most. Our capabilities have been proven valuable and we need to maintain our leadership in a growing market. This means applying more resources to developing core technology that will appeal to a growing number of mainstream customers.

Detailed Notes on my experiences with Opera

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love this company due to many reasons, some of which I have tried to outline below in detail: 1) Highly Talented Peer Group - I have worked in many firms both in US and India, and with that experience, I must say that I have been highly impressed by the talent pool here in Opera. It comes from the fact that the firm hires from the best schools across the globe, with specific DNA in the employees. It is due to this fact that you will always find resources at Opera coming up with innovative and smart solutions to the difficult and complex industry problems. No matter how crucial the opening is - it is emphasized to hire ONLY "right" candidate. My top reason to vouch for this ambitious and smart talent pool. 2) Freedom to choose Career Paths - In Opera, I started with Process re-design Consulting 3 years back for one of the top financial US institutions, then I decided to move to Procurement practice area and Opera supported me with this move. I worked with clients in US, Europe and India on multiple procurement initiatives. And then - figuring out my passion - I decided to move to Product Management and I started working with one of the top Products team as a Product Manager - I led development of leading products in supply chain industry. After 3 years, I decided to move to the core Products Group - and the firm supported my move. Where else would I have found such support - only at a place where employer understands power of playing employees to their strengths. It is completely different at Opera, where I get to choose what I love, and company is open in helping me find my passion. My experience with my last large US based employer (top Consulting firm) was completely different where I was stuck with an Account and a Practice Area - the attitude there was that I was too small to be cared. I think being entrepreneurial is one of the DNAs of a typical successful Opera resource. 3) Respect for Talent - I was going through some of the other posts on this site, and noticed that most of the posts seem to be written by ex-Operaites who could not cope up with the talented peer group - I could not stop but smile (knowing that the firm is not meant for all and management knows that). As a company, I have high regard for Opera and its management - since only resources - who are smart and highly driven to bring change in client environments - are respected at Opera. Others - either leave or are requested to go - seem to be writing on these portals. So much negativity for a place where only smart people survive - if it is too much for an average Joe, then s/he never understood the core DNA of Opera. I would provide an alternate to anyone reading these reviews - simple way to test waters is to connect with any of the top universities in the world and get feedback from the seniors/ peers. 4) Clear Vision/ transparent policies - I had concerns like everyone else, but ever since Company came up with a clear vision statement [correct move], I have realized that all decisions are focused in line with our vision. Also, the management made all the policies in the company transparent. Folks who are complaining about these policies, are the ones who were getting benefited with lack of clear policies. I am very happy knowing exactly what we focus on as a company, and how we are doing in realizing the dream. 5) Open Channel to Management - I have not seen any company where you could connect with CEO/ Chairman directly, and you get response within a day. I love this initiative taken by Opera 6 months back. Most of the folks on this portal - who are complaining - should try working in any of the big names around the world and try to connect with their CEOs. In any case, company has a large talent pool and they are driven to bring change both internally and externally - the complacent ones are finding themselves misfits and are either requested to leave or realize that this is not a place for them. Bottom line - the company becomes better and better each day with clear accountability across the ladder. 6) Challenging Problems/ Cutting edge research - One of the reasons that we attract best talents in the world is with the the nature of work - the firms get you to work on one of the toughest problems in the world, and be part of the change. I have seen new joinees sitting in front of the clients and getting exposed to the real world problems here - and not stuck with "client is only for senior team members" syndrome. 7) Above Par Pay Scale - Opera has been one of the better paying firms - compare it with any of the competitors and you will realize that you work hard and you earn more - seems like a proposition in line with DNA of the highly driven people - work hard, get paid better. I can go on and on, but this will give you an idea of how a company - driven with a passion to innovate (as our DNA) - can be the one stop address for the most complex industry problems - put forward by clients. They trust us and we deliver on their trust....

Cons

No firm is perfect, and a small firm like Opera has some improvement areas too. It is part of the change that will happen over time. I think it is important that you take yourself as one of the levers to push these changes. Some of the improvement areas in my list for the firm are: 1) Lack of Dedicated Sales Resources - Though I don't mind playing multiple roles at mid-management position as it gives me an opportunity to learn and I love doing that, but not having dedicated sales team impacts company's market reach. Also, it distracts Account Management and Delivery teams from their core focus areas. Management has repeatedly mentioned that they understand this problem, and step in themselves (150%+) to support key client pitches - in fact, most of the large accounts are attracted by the name of the management team. This is one of the areas I would like to see improving over years as we invest in sales team. If you want to join Opera, be careful that you will be requested to support some of the ongoing client pitches - so if you are one of the lazy 8-4 guy, Opera isn't a place for you .. may be one of the larger ones with ton of money to keep resources on bench would be a better choice for you. 2) No Clear Firing Policy - One of the things I think this company should adopt is a really good firing policy. I have seen that resources are given enough chances to grow before they are asked to leave - there should be a quick firing if the resource can't cope up with the job requirements. Why waste everyone's time and frustrate the peers. Something I would like Management to seriously think about in the near future. PIP program exists on paper - but rarely used. 3) Training Programs - this is one of the areas where initiatives like Opera University has covered some ground, but in general, the company could focus more on training employees. Most of the training programs currently run informally - when you are around smart folks you learn skills on the feet as well. This is one of the initiatives that will be taken up by the firm in near future. If you are looking for formal certificates so that you can switch jobs, then Opera is not a place for you.

Advice to Management

1) As company transitioned from being a Consulting firm to a Big Data Platform company, lot of employees could not cope up with the transition. They wanted to sit back and relax, and earn free salaries - the management was smart enough to track individual performances, and let go employees who were simply misfits. It was not an easy transition, but management did an awesome job in steering ship to different waters.... My suggestion is to keep identifying the misfits and either put them on PIP Programs or ask them to leave. 2) Clearly Defined Firing Policy and Training Program (covered in detail in Cons) Best of luck with the momentum. There are always employees - who look for easy bucks, but the ones who understand potential of the idea and want to be part of the change - will always stand right next to you.

Lack of management guidance, limited investment into the company, minimal infrastructure

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people below the management layer

Cons

Management head completely in the sand, no understanding of the 'Big Data' marketplace or client opportunities

Advice to Management

Improve business development organization, hire better delivery resources, focus on marketplace to guide product development

Great technology - Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent technology Strong Value sell Well defined offering

Cons

Poor leadership Loose and ambiguous decision-making process Does not "tolerate" long sales cycle

Advice to Management

to line up a team of professional software sales management executive

Was fabulous at one time

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

The flexibility you have, interaction with others culture was amazing

Cons

Management just awful. Not posibility for GA to growth within the company

Advice to Management

New management needs transparency and balance. A lot of promises and nothing happen, also keep in mind you need to value your loyal employees and GA also deserves respect like others

Very talented individuals at the junior level, CEO has a core vision of becoming a great Data Science Company

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Flexible work hours. Company is comfortable with a work from home policy - Great talent at pre-manager levels

Cons

- Company is transitioning from consulting services to Data Science - History of witholding bonus payments

Advice to Management

- Focus on core-areas for improvement - Provide enhanced training

Dodgy practices by HR and Management

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

None. The COOs do deals that make no sense and only prop up their own egos.

Cons

Are known for not paying people for untaken vacation time when laid off or fired - whick is illegal. The COOs are famous for running people into the ground and then firing them. The current theory is they have compromising photos of the board otherwise they'd be fired. No one knows why they're still allowed to be there.

Advice to Management

Close your doors.

Weird and bazaar place. Like working in a David Lynch movie.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Not sure. I like to find the good in everything but it would be a stretch here.

Cons

Management lacks emotional intelligence. Attrition is so high you meet someone one week, they are gone the next. No one seems to know who does what. Internal process is cumbersome and absurd. People walk around with scowls on their face. I would be very afraid to come here unless you are desperate for work and have no other options.

Advice to Management

Maybe the new CEO will change things but it wont happen soon. I would look very closely at management.....

Good place to start analytics career

Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Junior Analytics Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation, lots of career growth opportunities. Colleagues are smart and fun. Exposure to number of of top financial service companies

Cons

No work life balance, lots of travelling. Have to do conference calls in the night with colleagues from China or India. Struggling with transition from providing consulting service to selling products

RSS Feed </> Embed