Opera Solutions Reviews

Reset

Time to wrap up

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Management Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Management Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Three CEO in three Years, three business plans in three years. Management is most confused consulting or product development ? Sr. Data scientist or junior developer. They still have free Boos and ping pong table :).

Cons

Telent is leaving faster then snow comming down in Boson. nothing left on floor all empty. Please do not read other reviews which are total bogus. No one cares what you doing ? Hiring and firing on month to month bases. Less revenue then fire, new project then hire... Keep it simle is their motto. Pardon me for being point blank.

Advice to Management

NONE. Pack up your bags and enjoy summer, Since you are not paying any vacation pay or severence, enjoy all the saved money. Karma will catch up to you soon,

2. Lots of free time but lots of autonomy

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Good peer group, eventual opportunities to go abroad

Cons

Meandering pace of work, projects are too long

Not good to start your career

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Noida (India)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friday meals, cab facility after 8, work from home, phone provided by company, internet bill reimbursement

Cons

Managers dont know how to behave, some managers are given high privileges in spite of knowing they don't know anything

Advice to Management

Hr's please be active, Bad management, please hire some good managers

Great technology - Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent technology
    Strong Value sell
    Well defined offering

Cons

Poor leadership
    Loose and ambiguous decision-making process
    Does not "tolerate" long sales cycle

Advice to Management

to line up a team of professional software sales management executive

Strong momentum, collaborative work culture, great people

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

High Growth Market Space - Big Data:. After observing Opera’s work closely in big data analytics projects in marketing domain, the phrase has finally come to mean more than a buzzword to me.
    Positive Client Feedback: Opera has clearly defined its focus on Signal Hub - it is encouraging to see extremely positive feedback from clients for the firm’s analytics capabilities and IP.
    Great People: Opera has amazing talent - there are a lot of positive vibes and energy around teams working on ongoing projects. With many new deals kicking in and momentum picking up again, it is an exciting time to be a part of the firm!
    Approachable Senior Leadership: While working on a strategic initiative, I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable senior leadership at the head office is!

Cons

Lack of awareness about Opera’s core offering - Signal Hub - at India Office. Optimism needs to percolate to India office.
    Under-utilization of resources from India office on analytics projects
    Work culture at India office can become better- existing flexibility in working hours should be maintained, senior leadership at India office needs to be more approachable
    Too much effort going into a few ongoing non/marginally profitable projects

Advice to Management

Build on the ongoing momentum and target a steep growth trajectory
    Share your views, optimism and expectations company-wide - especially with India office. Frequency and medium are very important.
    Chalk out and implement a comprehensive talent management program to check attrition

Exciting 3 Years in terms of Learning and Meeting Talent in Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Multiple challenging and exciting ongoing engagements to drive your career trajectory - interestingly if you have right mindset and neck to learn, you will have ton of choices to drive your career path.
    2) Learning curve is really steep here as you have a choice to pick from science, analytics and consulting work ... I switched my core focus from Consulting to Analytics and Scientists in the company were really helpful, especially the Chief Scientist and she supported my choice. Thankfully, I have performed to Management's expectation and I got steep learning in return (which is priceless in my opinion).
    3) Talented Peer Group - It is amazing to notice diverse and talented peer group here - answer to any complex industry problem reside around you (it sounds an overstatement but it is true). Lot of codification is done in terms of signals/ insights - having said that, you can't codify Human Brain - and one of the best Pro in Opera is an extremely Talented Resource pool

Cons

1) Inflow of large projects have not been consistent, and it opens up bandwidth in the workforce. More multiple years deal need to be signed to ensure that resources remain engaged. Couple of my friends were poached by a competitor firm, which I found annoying especially since exposure here in Opera is way more than any other company could offer.
    2) Flow of resources between Consulting And Analytics should be streamlined - I was lucky but there might be other resources who might be good and might be thinking about making move to Analytics - it should be formalized.

Advice to Management

We should invest more time on hiring and retaining scientists. Another suggestion is that we should focus on identifying resources who are smart and might be tuned to be great in Analytics - can those be trained through proper training programs?

Fast Learning Curve, Exposure to work on Big Data - Cool Company

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High Paying Job in comparison to other firms in Advanced Analytics / Big Data Space

- Flexible Work Hours - as expected when I joined Opera, I noticed that extreme care is taken to deliver exemplary work but what surprised me is that Managers here are highly flexible and sensitive to your personal time / work hours. Managers you work with are just like you - smart, Knowledgeable, witty and extremely helpful

- Focus on attracting and nurturing right talent - as a school champion, I have seen the rigor which goes into candidate interviews, and attracting right talent / mindset - an important reason which I think will keep this company ahead of market for years to come. Another interesting aspect I noticed is that mentors here keep an eye on your goals (it comes without saying that you are responsible for your on Growth, but if you have questions about what to pick, which areas to explore, there will be senior managers to guide you).

- Exposure to advanced data analytics solutions - the Big Data Platform - Signal Hub - is very powerful and unique. Also, it forms the core of company investment and rightly so, as more this platform matures, better it is for the industry and delivery teams.

- As a Company DNA, Opera only attracts smart and bright candidates, so high-quality deliverable is never an issue.

- Exposure to work with Market Leaders across Industries - the accounts are pretty big and are market leaders. It feels comforting when you notice that you are the science behind lot of campaigns ongoing in the market - it is like "INTEL INSIDE" :)

Cons

- As widely discussed, this company has made a transition from Consulting to Big Data firm, and it has both pros and cons - pros being that there is emphasis on Problem Solving, Discussions and Ideas. The Con is that sometimes it does not feel right to invest time in problem solving every minor detail. It is too much of intellectual concentration - which sometimes seem to be distracted by focus on over-solving EVERY problem.

Advice to Management

1) Focus on sales and expand work with other large companies (I am sure this might be already being done, but thought I should outline).
    2) Start Certification Programs with External Vendors - SAS, R etc.

Not as good as management reviews would indicate, but also not as bad as fleeing employee reviews would indicate either

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I should caveat this review by saying that I was a US based resource and experiences can be very different in other offices. Also, there is a ton of variance between good projects and bad projects so two individuals in the same office with the same title can have a very different experience.

I was fortunate to land some good projects with some strong teams. I received great exposure to predictive analytics / machine learning and consulting while at Opera. I worked on some very challenging and interesting projects. Predictive analytics / machine learning / Big Data is a very hot space right now so experience in these areas allows for a lot of flexibility.

I also met some great people (also see cons). Work-life balance was very reasonable for me.

The worst is probably behind the company as the company hit a bottom 6 months to a year back and Opera seems to be building some positive momentum. We'll see if that lasts.

Cons

A few years back this company was attracting top talent both across the globe. That's not the case anymore, though some talented folks still remain. It was painful to see the difference between 2 years back and now since there were so many highly talented, awesome people to be around. There are much fewer that remain.

Bonuses inconsistent / nonexistent, though perhaps that is a thing of the past. Promotions not really merit based and generally inconsistent.

Senior management has generally been pretty terrible in the past.

Advice to Management

Replacing your lost US talent with resources from India and China is not a good long term solution. You must start hiring more US resources.

10. Average Company

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

Work culture is good, managers are very supportive in nature
    Provide good platform to freshers
    Give good learn opportunities to the employees who wanted to learn and work hard
    People are very friendly and warm welcoming in nature

Cons

Senior Management is very bad
    They consider their employees as if they are their slaves
    HR is useless
    Lots n lots of politics
    Compensation wise they pay you very less then the current market

Opera Solutions totally sucks!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Good Work-life balance (That's it). Nothing else is spectacular about Opera Solutions India

Cons

Very High Attrition (upto 75%) for IIT Hires in India, as a result no good managers are left, only mediocre leadership is left at the firm. A lot of discrimination between US and India Employees (promotions, work-life balance, responsibility), NO Travel for majority of the India office, Every few months people say the company will improve but all efforts go down the drain. Dearth of projects (half the office sits unstaffed), no opportunities for growth. Was once a good consulting firm, but this new data analytics space that they want to function out of is totally in the air!

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees - lot of insecurity out there, improve the office culture, hire managers and leaders

RSS Feed </> Embed