Opera Solutions

Updated November 16, 2014
2.6

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann
Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• Friday lunches, happy-hour, high-tea (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Bad management is killing the company

Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people in the company, through many of them are leaving now. The projects are fun and challenging, you can learn a lot and build your experience.

Cons

Bad management, policies changed all the time, and didn't live up to the promise. The salary is lower than the market. The benefit is not competitive as well.

Treat the employee well. Give them what they deserved.

Great People and Opportunities; Leadership Needs to Continue to Make Improvements

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: Super-talented line managers and teams in this company who get things done. Our junior team members are outstanding and get a chance to step up and make a difference, get exposure and gain great experience almost from day one. It is truly an amazing group of people. I don’t work with all the different teams, but my experience with teams in our Services, Healthcare, Government and Risk and Financial Services practices have been wonderful. Products get developed and out the door, customers’ needs get met and things get done. Middle managers have a lot of discretion and the problems we are tackling are interesting; we get a chance to solve some of the most fascinating and complex problems our clients are facing today. In my area, our customers seem very satisfied and are renewing/expanding.

Cons

Upper management still needs to get better aligned so teams and middle managers can be even more effective. Getting better, but still…

Reach consensus on business decisions before implementing. Put the strategy down on paper so everyone is aligned. Communicate it better, and stick to it so line managers can execute

Opera Solutions provides innovative big data solutions

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opera is very flexible. The management is laid back. They are not afraid to be experimental. It feels like working at a startup with the stability of a major company

Cons

Business models often seem to change on a whim leaving everyone feeling uncertain

Every level of the organization needs more accountability

Turning the Corner with Momentum Building

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

Cons

Competition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Stay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

Good people...(data science) bubble-economy decisions.

Former Employee - Staff Scientist
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist

I worked at Opera Solutions (more than an year)

Pros

Smart scientists, fun atmosphere, great managers, good place to learn a semi-rigorous approach to data science. Of course I complained about management while there, but since leaving I see that they were comparatively pretty good.

Cons

Fake products such as vektor (that were targeted to impress investors rather than actually do anything) were demoralizing. Lack of profits or great projects led me to seek work elsewhere. The research group was completely disconnected from other groups, which sucked because everyone wanted a little research and a little product development. The focus on PhDs rather than engineers slowed down product development.

Enough complaints, already - new year, new dawn

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly smart and committed people, great IP, one of the best customer lists (with significant relationships) in the Big Data space. True success stories to point to. Much more focused direction (finally - took a long time!) and we've stripped down to fighting weight and lost some of the expenses that were dragging us down. Real progress on technology, too, hitting milestones and goals.

Cons

Still a pretty grumpy place to work, even though CEO has taken the right actions (IMHO). Naysayers need to either get with the program or find a place they can believe in.

Be sure to keep focused and keep communicating.

You get out what you put in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Whether you're into business, software, or data science, this is place where you can create your own opportunities in a small enough environment to make meaningful contributions in anything you do. It's not a place where you can scrape by putting in 35 hours a week and hope to expand your growth or make an impact. As with any burgeoning market entrant, growing pains abound. If you're the type to see opportunity in the face of uncertainty, enjoy a good challenge, and can perform under stress and constraints, you'll succeed and be rewarded. If not, you'll quickly become frustrated and end up somewhere else, which isn't a bad thing (though watch out for these reviews). Subtle pros: free lunch every Friday, great culture, high quality colleagues, lasting friendships and professional relationships easily built.

Cons

Communication is the biggest con. Most of the time we are completely in the dark about what's going on in the company. It's tough to be motivated when performance bonuses dried up over time. They are allegedly coming back based on individual project performance, but we'll have to see to believe. Benefits are completely terrible, and salaries could be better (promotions help a bit). Hours vary widely, and allocation of work can be very unbalanced within teams.

Explain what is going on! Stop the rumors and address the big issues that bother people the most. Motivate your top performers so they don't leave and empower them to become advocates for your vision.

Very good people, terrible salaries

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Nice culture, nice people, decent work life balance

Cons

CEO too in love with SW products

Make better decision

Top Management needs major changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good learning environment and to get your feet wet so you can prepare yourself to jump ship for better opportunity.

Cons

Too much internal rift between the departments is pulling the company apart. Considering its still a small to medium sized company which is still trying to get out of the start-up mode it should set it priorities straight. Instead of concentrating on what’s good for the company and being responsible/reasonable, top management is fighting internal/personal battles. Some top managers also have pompous attitude, but in fact they don’t have the knowledge or the experience. Also I know my department head would lie to me from time to time. The top leadership of the company wastes money like drunken alcoholics, and then when the funds are running low, they start lay off employees.

Enjoy the party spend the $$ and then file for bankruptcy. Unless all management changes, who want the company to survive.

We just hit an iceberg - quick, let's rearrange the deck chairs!

Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright and diligent Business Analysts, Data Science pros, and interesting client projects to service. Very effective marketing team.

Cons

- Senior management infighting
    - Lurching from funding round to funding round in choppy waters makes the oarsmen seasick

Senior management infighting over limited resources leads to failure. Would suggest that investors clean house, but since most of the best talent has already left the company, likely too little too late.