Opera Solutions

www.operasolutions.com
Employer Engaged

Great People. Terrible Company & Management.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you will work with (especially at Manager and below levels) are wonderful, creative & very smart.
    You can (on occasion) get exposed to interesting problems at blue-chip clients and because there's very little organization there's an opportunity to step up
    New CEO (Bernhard Namm) is an excellent human being. Honest, smart, clear in his ideas and very cognizant of the multitude of problems the company has. I wish him the best but worry that he has inherited a poisoned chalice

Cons

In one word: Arnab Gupta (owner and previous CEO)
    By most accounts he's interested in 'big ideas' and his own bottom line but does not have the temperament or will to build a real organization that supports its employees and focuses only on those problems for which we are best suited
    Management has been a mess, part of it is that they are way out of their depth and that their positions have been earned through loyalty rather than merit

Empower Bernhard, he's the right leader with the right ideas. Become very focused in what we do and pay a lot more attention to internal talent management before everybody in the US office leaves.

Opera Solutions Response

Apr 28, 2014Manager

Thank you for your review. We agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment on Bernhard and are excited about the new clarity he is bringing and will continue to bring to the organization. But your ... More

Finally, something may change!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO, good news, even if he is bad, can't be worse than the previous one!
    The last one was a complete waste of time and money.
    It may be too late for us, but we can try to the end.

Cons

All the good people gone, some of the bad people are still around.

Clean up some of the bad management that is still with us. They "talk good" but can't deliver.
    Go back to our roots: Consulting.

Potential was high, but limited by the following factors.

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Had good product potential and some great people in R&D and Science

Cons

lack of focus, discipline, and leadership

A OK company but not good.

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are many smart people in the company. Projects are diverse, and you can learn a lot.

Cons

Poor management. Policies keeps changing, e.g., the bonus. I have never received bonus in 2 years. Many times the promises are simply promises (and never come true). Bad benefit.

Your experience can be extremely fascinating or the typical consulting work depending on the project type.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Work with smart people, with blue-chip clients, using cutting-edge technology.

Cons

The company is not very focused in direction; there are a lot of projects in many different verticals, which may be great for an analyst fresh out of school but not for an organization trying to do something completely new and disruptive.

Focus on one vertical and try to perfect that particular technology solution before expanding to other verticals.

Lots of experience that will be taken with me

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

The variety and level of clients we work with is pretty amazing. Anything from a smaller company in a rural setting to a fortune 500 company right in NYC. Not only that, but there are healthcare companies, state agencies, banks, credit card companies, manufacturers, etc. The people area really intelligent and from all over, making for a (mostly) enjoyable experience. The work environment is awesome and something I wish more companies had. Gives you a good sense of freedom compared to the typical corporate structure.

Cons

Where to start on the cons. There is a definitive struggle to find a working strategy here. I think we all know we want to be innovative and product solutions in some way that harnesses data, big/small/disparate/whatever. Though we can't seem to get past fancy marketing and smoke/mirror tactics and simply explain the real value that we provide. I feel like we sell ourselves short of what we really do with trying to make it look like this magical machine that spits out insights. Nobody really knows what is going on, though it is hard to stay positive with how things are.

Another review mentioned this, but while the variety of work is nice, the quality of project can vary greatly. Plus we're now in the spot with little room to move.

We need more transparency and a clear/concise plan. Pick one and let us work towards it.

It began well and turned into several years of failed business plans and un-kept promises.

Former Employee - Support Services in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Support Services in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of nice, smart people. They're fun to be around, although smiling faces had become few and far between in the past couple of years.

Cons

Company description that changes as often as most people change their underwear. Products and services that either don't deliver as promised, or do at a price that's totally unprofitable to the company.

Resign. They offer nothing to the people they hope will make the company work.

Bad management is killing the company

Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people in the company, through many of them are leaving now. The projects are fun and challenging, you can learn a lot and build your experience.

Cons

Bad management, policies changed all the time, and didn't live up to the promise. The salary is lower than the market. The benefit is not competitive as well.

Treat the employee well. Give them what they deserved.

Opera Solutions provides innovative big data solutions

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opera is very flexible. The management is laid back. They are not afraid to be experimental. It feels like working at a startup with the stability of a major company

Cons

Business models often seem to change on a whim leaving everyone feeling uncertain

Every level of the organization needs more accountability

Great People and Opportunities; Leadership Needs to Continue to Make Improvements

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: Super-talented line managers and teams in this company who get things done. Our junior team members are outstanding and get a chance to step up and make a difference, get exposure and gain great experience almost from day one. It is truly an amazing group of people. I don’t work with all the different teams, but my experience with teams in our Services, Healthcare, Government and Risk and Financial Services practices have been wonderful. Products get developed and out the door, customers’ needs get met and things get done. Middle managers have a lot of discretion and the problems we are tackling are interesting; we get a chance to solve some of the most fascinating and complex problems our clients are facing today. In my area, our customers seem very satisfied and are renewing/expanding.

Cons

Upper management still needs to get better aligned so teams and middle managers can be even more effective. Getting better, but still…

Reach consensus on business decisions before implementing. Put the strategy down on paper so everyone is aligned. Communicate it better, and stick to it so line managers can execute