Opera Solutions

Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann
Bernhard Nann

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A OK company but not good.

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many smart people in the company. Projects are diverse, and you can learn a lot.

Cons

Poor management. Policies keeps changing, e.g., the bonus. I have never received bonus in 2 years. Many times the promises are simply promises (and never come true). Bad benefit.

Your experience can be extremely fascinating or the typical consulting work depending on the project type.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Work with smart people, with blue-chip clients, using cutting-edge technology.

Cons

The company is not very focused in direction; there are a lot of projects in many different verticals, which may be great for an analyst fresh out of school but not for an organization trying to do something completely new and disruptive.

Focus on one vertical and try to perfect that particular technology solution before expanding to other verticals.

Bad management is killing the company

Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Lead in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of talented people in the company, through many of them are leaving now. The projects are fun and challenging, you can learn a lot and build your experience.

Cons

Bad management, policies changed all the time, and didn't live up to the promise. The salary is lower than the market. The benefit is not competitive as well.

Treat the employee well. Give them what they deserved.

It began well and turned into several years of failed business plans and un-kept promises.

Former Employee - Support Services in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Support Services in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is full of nice, smart people. They're fun to be around, although smiling faces had become few and far between in the past couple of years.

Cons

Company description that changes as often as most people change their underwear. Products and services that either don't deliver as promised, or do at a price that's totally unprofitable to the company.

Resign. They offer nothing to the people they hope will make the company work.

Opera Solutions provides innovative big data solutions

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opera is very flexible. The management is laid back. They are not afraid to be experimental. It feels like working at a startup with the stability of a major company

Cons

Business models often seem to change on a whim leaving everyone feeling uncertain

Every level of the organization needs more accountability

Great People and Opportunities; Leadership Needs to Continue to Make Improvements

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: Super-talented line managers and teams in this company who get things done. Our junior team members are outstanding and get a chance to step up and make a difference, get exposure and gain great experience almost from day one. It is truly an amazing group of people. I don’t work with all the different teams, but my experience with teams in our Services, Healthcare, Government and Risk and Financial Services practices have been wonderful. Products get developed and out the door, customers’ needs get met and things get done. Middle managers have a lot of discretion and the problems we are tackling are interesting; we get a chance to solve some of the most fascinating and complex problems our clients are facing today. In my area, our customers seem very satisfied and are renewing/expanding.

Cons

Upper management still needs to get better aligned so teams and middle managers can be even more effective. Getting better, but still…

Reach consensus on business decisions before implementing. Put the strategy down on paper so everyone is aligned. Communicate it better, and stick to it so line managers can execute

Enough complaints, already - new year, new dawn

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazingly smart and committed people, great IP, one of the best customer lists (with significant relationships) in the Big Data space. True success stories to point to. Much more focused direction (finally - took a long time!) and we've stripped down to fighting weight and lost some of the expenses that were dragging us down. Real progress on technology, too, hitting milestones and goals.

Cons

Still a pretty grumpy place to work, even though CEO has taken the right actions (IMHO). Naysayers need to either get with the program or find a place they can believe in.

Be sure to keep focused and keep communicating.

Turning the Corner with Momentum Building

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

Cons

Competition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Stay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

Good people...(data science) bubble-economy decisions.

Former Employee - Staff Scientist
    Former Employee - Staff Scientist

I worked at Opera Solutions (more than an year)

Pros

Smart scientists, fun atmosphere, great managers, good place to learn a semi-rigorous approach to data science. Of course I complained about management while there, but since leaving I see that they were comparatively pretty good.

Cons

Fake products such as vektor (that were targeted to impress investors rather than actually do anything) were demoralizing. Lack of profits or great projects led me to seek work elsewhere. The research group was completely disconnected from other groups, which sucked because everyone wanted a little research and a little product development. The focus on PhDs rather than engineers slowed down product development.

You get out what you put in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Whether you're into business, software, or data science, this is place where you can create your own opportunities in a small enough environment to make meaningful contributions in anything you do. It's not a place where you can scrape by putting in 35 hours a week and hope to expand your growth or make an impact. As with any burgeoning market entrant, growing pains abound. If you're the type to see opportunity in the face of uncertainty, enjoy a good challenge, and can perform under stress and constraints, you'll succeed and be rewarded. If not, you'll quickly become frustrated and end up somewhere else, which isn't a bad thing (though watch out for these reviews). Subtle pros: free lunch every Friday, great culture, high quality colleagues, lasting friendships and professional relationships easily built.

Cons

Communication is the biggest con. Most of the time we are completely in the dark about what's going on in the company. It's tough to be motivated when performance bonuses dried up over time. They are allegedly coming back based on individual project performance, but we'll have to see to believe. Benefits are completely terrible, and salaries could be better (promotions help a bit). Hours vary widely, and allocation of work can be very unbalanced within teams.

Explain what is going on! Stop the rumors and address the big issues that bother people the most. Motivate your top performers so they don't leave and empower them to become advocates for your vision.