Opera Solutions

Employer Engaged

Time to abandon ship

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart academic ideas - Phd. brains from Ivy league

Cons

Lacks leadership and execution, inexperienced people in key roles

Do not lie and play games with employee.

Promising ideas, mediocre execution

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Unique approach to solving large business problems by combining consulting and analytics/software, at least as an idea
    - Very smart, personable, kind and creative people with high willingness to learn and teach
    - Good place to learn how to do a little of everything, although that is partly due to massive lack of formal structure
    - Decent compensation and work hours flexibility

Cons

- Highly disorganized organizational structure that changes every few months
    - Lack of communication and transparency
    - Lack of clear and consistent career ladder - expectations are always shifting and employees are expected to hit moving targets each review cycles
    - Too many product ideas with nearly not enough staff to execute on them - no good products firm was built by chasing 10+ targets
    - Some people in senior management are trying to do some good, but it may be too late

- Communicate honestly with your employees and trust that they can help turn the company around - you hired them because they are smart and capable, you use them to solve clients' problems, so why not your own
    - Pick 2-3 products, at most, and invest in them
    - Identify a growth strategy and stick with it
    - Make HR do it's job of actually helping people manage their careers

Loads of potential and talented people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is positioned on the leading edge of a booming industry, no doubt about it. We are constantly asked to solve incredibly complex questions for some of the best known companies in the world. The work is challenging and changes frequently, like at any successful start-up.

Cons

We need to accelerate the transition from a consulting model to being a repeatable solution company. This is critical to growth and scale. Many of us know this is the correct path, but some people are confused or hesitant about how the changes will affect them. There's a ton of great technology and science being developed, can make prioritization tough at times for a company of this size.

Speed up the transition process. Communicate clearly and frequently. Put some opportunities on the back burner and execute on a few truly great ideas.

Confusion starts from the top

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not having to stay late

Cons

Not having to stay late - also

Make your exit quick and reward your employees

Opera has what other companies lack

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

Opera Solutions is full of young, smart, optimistic people. Maybe too optimistic. As someone who's worked at several companies and in a completely different industry, I find many of the things that others are disgruntled about at Opera refreshing. The company is trying to redefine itself from a consulting firm to a product-based company, which is a very difficult task. But instead of just laying off consultants (and those who are a bit stuck in the consultant mindset), the company (from my perspective at least) seems to be trying to hold onto them, valuing its people more than any other company I've worked at. After many rounds of layoffs at other companies, this is a nice change of pace, even if it is to the temporary detriment of others.

The CEO is incredibly smart. He knows big data, he knows business, and he's smart enough to know what he doesn't know—and hires the best scientists and domain experts to make his vision a reality. I find him refreshingly honest, able to admit to his mistakes and humble enough to learn from them and move on. The company is forging through uncharted territory, and you need a leader who is willing to self-correct.

My favorite part about Opera is the employees. The company spares no expense in the hiring department (it seems), and that is a huge benefit. Many companies hire the least expensive people who can barely do the job that's necessary in order to save money. When that happens, growth is impossible, as no one can excel or learn, and the company becomes stagnant and dies. Here, you have a company full of overachievers--Ivy League grads, some with years of experience in their fields who can really help shape the careers of the younger staff. In my experience, this is no longer the norm most places.

Other quick notes from my perspective:

--My hours are great. There has been some evening and weekend work, but on average, I'm home an hour earlier than was I used to be.

--While I haven't participated in many of the extracurriculars, that there are any is rare. A company that volunteers, has happy hours, reaches out to the community, etc. speaks to the forward-thinking company culture, as well as to the level and type of employees here.

--This is a fluid, dynamic environment. While that may make some people crazy (and it makes me crazy sometimes, too), it also means that employees can move around a bit. I think some employees give managers too much power to control their experience here. *Everyone* contributes to the overall dynamic, and each of us is ultimately in charge of our own experiences. Those who are willing and able to take on additional responsibility and/or leadership roles seem to move up very quickly. This is rare and should be seen as a benefit and opportunity.

Cons

The "flat" organization isn't really flat--nor is it beneficial. It just makes transparency that much more difficult.

Take some management courses. As with most companies, you're all adept in your fields, but managing people isn't it. Get on the same page and provide a clear, unified company structure and direction, and then stick to it.

Lost in space? No future for the company or it's people.

Current Employee - Senior Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. Not anymore. Consulting that never grew up.

Cons

CEO is completely lost. His strategy is flawed.
    Any new and existing investors will regret every looking at this company. They will loose it all.

The CEO needs to leave. He is clueless.

Smart, motivated, excited junior employees...wasted

Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People at manager and below levels are great
        - Smart: top schools, top performers
        - Personable: normal people you'd want to grab a drink with
        - Creative: willing to suggest new ideas, and try to learn new things rapidly (as the firm shifts focus)

The idea behind "predictive analytics" is a good one. That said, so is the idea to time travel. Success takes more than an idea. You need to be able to execute on it. Execution is not hiring a bunch of smart people. You need leadership and direction.

Cons

Employees are Mistreated
      - Pay is below market, especially for the hours put in
      - You work 80+ hour weeks, only to be told retroactively you won't get a bonus (3+ months after you were supposed to get it, with ZERO communication or lies in the interim)
      - I have been bonus eligible for 4 years here: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: No bonus in 2009 (financial crisis, understandable), decent bonuses in 2010 and 2011, No bonus in 2012 (even though we were told all year it was our best year ever). 50% bonus rate is unacceptable.
       - Management is sneaky, deceitful, and totally unethical: Both times we got zero bonuses, we were strung along by lies. Management would tell us bonuses were "delayed" for weeks, then months, then complete silence on the matter, then the hammer would drop and we'd be told the truth. They're literally just trying to squeeze water out of rocks.
       - More unethical practices: They closed the Paris office and told the employees they'd have the option to transfer. Then, they stopped answering all communications from the Paris employees, declared bankruptcy in France, and didn't offer transfers (after months of saying they would and leaving the employees in limbo). The French employees had to scramble to find jobs, after being lied to for months. On top of that, management told everyone that the French employees simply didn't accept the transfer offers.
       - You're still expected to work like a consultant, but be paid like

Horrible Execution by Management
       - Senior Management was tasked with facilitating the shift from "consulting" to "technology / product". They have failed. Horribly.
       - Whenever someone who knows what they are doing in the big data / product world (e.g. senior folks from SAP, Oracle, etc.) is brought in, they realize what a mess Opera is and leave within 6 months.
       - Many managers and principals are former consultants, and have no idea what they're doing in analytics projects or product driven projects. Not their fault - they're consultants, but it makes projects extremely frustrating. They haven't been trained, and many have no idea how to deliver a product driven project.
        - Horrible cash management: Hired tons of scientists and sales people who have yet to deliver anything really, while the consultants deliver project after project in "services", working typical consulting hours. Then there is no cash to pay the revenue generating consultants, because cash was burned on scientists, sales people, and failed products.
       - Everything is pretty much smoke and mirrors. Product names and ideas keep changing, but there is nearly nothing tangible to show for it. Consultants are then tasked with spinning this smoke and mirrors into something during business development and sales efforts

Offshore Model
       - The offshore model is extremely frustrating. On analytics projects, huge chunks of teams are in Shanghai and India
       - Hours become unmanageable if you want to be in any way productive due to time zone differences
       - Turnaround times are slow because of the timezones. Though the "24 hour model" is pitched, what it really means is everything takes at least twice as long to do because you can only talk to your team at the beginning and end of each day, and deliverables can then be reviewed, with more wait time in between
      - Communication can be very difficult and inefficient. Lengthy, detailed emails are required, compared to traditional consulting firms where you can just sit with your team, brainstorm, review data together in real time, etc. Huge waste of time, and very stressful, because if the communication is not clear, you lose an entire day of work from the offshore team
       - It is all stemmed from Opera's reluctance to bring teams to the same location to work (because this costs money)

Remember that your "resources" are people. Though we claim to be a technology and product firm, everyone knows we have basically no real ground breaking products or technology. The magic is in the analytics done on bespoke projects and in the delivery of services projects by consultants. Those results are driven by people. The people are what makes this firm tick, and you are driving your best people out.

Delusional management, no transparency, nepotistic disorganization

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Good people. Talented people but in short supply. The culture is communal and social within and among teams.

Cons

Talent leaving like running from a burning building.
    Management playing violins on the deck of the titanic.
    Lack of faith, trust and honesty from managers.
    If you're not in the inner circle, you're growth stops and your career dies.
    Every 1-2 months a marketing release goes out and it's about a product no one has seen and doesn't exist. It's in a powerpoint.

Make an attempt to restore faith in employees (and investors)
    Quit the hide-and-run management style
    Stop signing death-march deals and failing to reward your people

An Opportunity To Work With “A” Quality People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If there was one element about Opera Solutions that places it head and shoulders above the other "Big Data"/service players in the market, it’s the quality of the people I work with. Through all levels of the org, the company consists of a collegial atmosphere with some of the brightest minds I’ve had the pleasure of working with.

The company's CEO, Arnab, is a visionary in this space and has been the driving force behind the company's shift from its consulting roots to a software company. He has high standards for himself and the people around him. Those who aren't willing to give their all — to work harder and think more deeply — may have a problem with this. Personally, I like it.

Though a lot of reviews suggest the c-suite is disconnected from the trenches, I beg to differ as the hierarchy is relatively flat and management is helping drive initiatives daily.

Salaries remain competitive and if you do contribute top-notch work, you will be rewarded sooner rather than later. As one poster said “you get what you put in,” which means if you roll up your sleeves, prepare to work hard, and produce, your efforts will be recognized by senior leadership.

If you’re hungry there’s plenty of room to grow, by climbing “the ladder” and also by gaining experience at one of the top companies in the “Big Data” space.

Cons

Communication throughout the organization needs attention as “town hall” style Q&A meetings are rarely held and transparency is lacking.

Best-positioned company in Big Data analytics space

Current Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Vice President in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to be part of the most advanced company in the exploding Big Data arena
    Great people - accomplished, intelligent, fun
    Chance to be part of fluid, entrepreneurial culture, bring great products to new markets, and get in on ground floor of the Big Data economy

Cons

Definite growing pains - particularly in shedding the old consulting values and approaches
    Some grumpy and cynical old-style consultants who create a lot of noise and won't get on the new bandwagon
    Company has grown so fast that its processes and infrastructure have not kept up - it's harder to get things done than it should be

What the company represents in the market, and the traction it's gaining, is real. But management needs to do a better job of communicating it all internally, especially to the few folks who just don't "get it" and are creating a lot of needless angst.