Operation Homefront

Jim Knotts

Give me a break

Anonymous (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsNONE! This is a joke

ConsThis is a toxic place to work. They will not support you as a employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the doors

Hectic!

Chapter President (Former Employee)

ProsThey genuinely help military families and wounded soldiers.

ConsThere is always more that can be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the truth, always!

If you value your professionalism, don't work here!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission but in the last 10 years there have been so many military charities popping up locally and regionally giving a personal touch to their service, that Operation Homefront is falling behind in its services to help families.

ConsLeadership consists of CEO who had no non-profit or CEO experience prior to taking the job and the organization and staff suffer for it. His senior staff is composed of cronies including even a married couple in senior positions, causing the ranks of employees to consider the CEO to be unethical and bias. He surrounds himself with 'yes men/women' who will not cross him instead of bright talented experienced non-profit executives who actually know how to run a non-profit. The ranks feel unsupportive and undervalued and have constant fear of watching over their shoulders to see what possible misstep is going to cause them to be fired. The work in fear rather than inspiration. Organization chart is constantly changing and the hire/fire causes a revolving door that's hard to keep up with. They interview with a chart to check-off rather than really discussing the job with the applicant and seeing if its a match that will work within the organization so it can move forward and the applicant can thrive in the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to the board - clean house of the executive management and bring in a proven nonprofit CEO and team that knows how to run an organization and manage a team of professionals; or merge Operation Homefront into Wounded Warriors and save money in order to help more military families.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OH - a Great Place to Work! Supporting Military Families and a Pay Check! Who could ask for more?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThey do great work serving military families. A great place to work! They are building a better HR department and doing a better job orienting and communicating with employees. They are continually expanding their benefits to better meet the needs of their families.

ConsThey grew too fast and had some HR things to catch up on but that has greatly improved since the strategic plan was put in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to add structure to the organization including the chapters.

These folks have issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsDecent pay. Casual work enviroment.

ConsWow. If you see these folks you need to run away. It may look like good money but you will be worked at least 60+ a week .The management will want timely responses to their ridiculous questions on Sat Sun Evenings etc. You will not be performing tasks on your job description. You will be doing many jobs that have nothing to do with your title. These people use and use and then throw away. They have a very very high turn over for a reason. Beware folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign! It would be the most professional and honest thing you could do.

Lots of Skeletons in this Agency's Closet

ProsAssists military families and has a variety of feel-good programs. Tries to enhance quality of life for troops and their families.

ConsWhere to begin? This place is ravaged with problems, swept under the carpet in the guise of doing good work. Incompetent top mgt. Promotion of equally incompetent managers at state sites. Poor communication. Very bad infrastructure. Just google various chapters and see the gems that you find.

Advice to Senior ManagementYikes! Start over again from the beginning and do it with integrity.

A Mess, Covered in the Glory of its Mission

ProsEveryone agrees that serving military families and our nation's wounded warriors is an honor. The folks at the chapters are good people, and you make some life-long friends.

ConsEthical issues abound at the top. Where there aren't ethical issues, the skill set of senior leadership is underwhelming at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine your misssion. Spa days for military spouses, backpacks, and Easter baskets are a waste of time and money when resources can be put towards helping kids coming back from the wars who have been hurt. And this whole notion that being military means you celebrate Christmas ad Easter is outdated--more and more of our military observes other religious holidays. Get with the times.

Operation Homefront--Toxic Stuff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCaring for our nation's military families is great. And many staff members are really nice.

ConsThis is a place that fires people willy-nilly and doesn't give the benefit of the doubt. Leadership skills are very weak--people like to micromanage and employees are frequently rude and disrespectful to each other. There have been three CEOs in the past five years and the chapters are very distrustful of national--which should tell you something right off the bat,

Advice to Senior ManagementResign.

Operation Homefront--A Winner

ProsServing military personnel and their families is probably the highest honor anyone can have. And there are some really good supervisors in this organization,

ConsLike any non-profit, you'll never get rich at this job. Plus if you're looking for corporate-style perks, forget it. The reward here is in serving others.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing a great job. I'm proud to see that the organization is becoming increasingly professional at a time when there will be so much more work to do over the next few years.

Worked for Operation Homefront? Contribute to the Community!