Opinion Search

Updated October 6, 2014
2.4

Ed Hum

Consistent and satisfactory job

Former Employee - Market Researcher (Interviewer)/Onsite Interviewer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Opinion Search part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours as well as very regular hours. I was among the top 2 tiers in daytime so hard to compare to evening workers, but in daytime you really did get consistent hours and management didn't bother you to take on extra shifts or question why you wanted less. You did the surveys so many times you almost memorized them (this was really only good in helping with your quality). Almost never got demerit points or quality demerit points, most of which were for attendance. The supervisors, monitors and co-workers were very friendly. My supervisor in particular was great, took interest in your productivity and performance. Very supportive and encouraging. Opportunity to receive bonuses, which I did receive with fair regularity.

I know many people didn't have to opportunity to, but working onsite was fantastic. We would get a slight pay increase for those shifts and get to go out to locations in the city to conduct interviews in person. My supervisor for these shifts was exceptionally friendly and supportive. Very understanding about hours and did not push if you said no.

Cons

Very boring. Some respondents are very hard to handle, I even cried a few times out of stress but never felt like the supervisors were aware of cared about this. After the change to working at home they became very stingy about breaks and bathroom time. I remember making sure I ran to the bathroom or coffee maker and purposefully taking slightly longer to edit open-ends just to get a slight break for a moment. Only minimum wage (110% of min wage as a home worker, which is by law). Some supervisors could be a bit rough / uncaring.

Let people get up and get a drink of water / go pee while not cutting into our break time!! I would strongly encourage a buddy system or group meeting once a week or so to discuss issues with the surveys or bad experiences with respondents / potential respondents. It becomes very high stress to deal with and we should be able to take a minute to calm down and chat with someone rather than trudge right back into the grind.

A good first job

Former Employee - Market Researcher (Interviewer) in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Opinion Search part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Easy interview process
    -Script provided to conduct surveys

Cons

-no room for advancement
    -scheduling is not as flexible
    -high stress especially when project due dates are coming up

-Please reevaluate priorities to reduce turnover rate. Consulting advice can help to retain employees

Interviewer

Current Employee - Market Researcher (Interviewer) in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Opinion Search part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make your own schedule
    Air conditioning in the summer
    Break room
    Easy work
    Some friendly management
    Sitting down ( I personally am someone who likes to move around and be active so this is more up to person to person based on preference)

Cons

Some unfriendly management
    Boring
    Repetitive
    Unreliable hours, you don't always get the hours you request. Many of your shifts will be denied.
    You can go through a whole day without getting one survey, and even though it is conditions that are out of your control, you will be penalized for it.
    People are rude and uncaring on the phone. You will often be hung up on and yelled at.
    Bonuses that are meant to motivate often deplete by the end of your shift due to the fact that they decrease during the hours that your there. Ex: you work a 3 hour shift, in the first hour you happen to get someone who actually wants to do a survey, you get a bonus of 40$. By staying at work and not getting any more surveys done you frantically attempt to keep the bonus there, being refused by 100s of people, and at the end of the shift you have actually lost most or all of this bonus.
    You get demerits easily
    Some of those monitoring you make fun of you on your calls.
    Are seen as annoying when you ask questions, but are penalized when you make a mistake.

Really depressing at times, end up going home very upset.

Improve bonus system
    Be more personally connected to your employees
    Improve un-reliable hours system...

Interviewer

Former Employee - Interviewer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Opinion Search part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and okay compensation

Cons

Not very organized and bad mananagement

Work here if you like sitting in the same spot for hours on end.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Opinion Search part-time

Pros

If you can speak, read and write English they will hire you.

Cons

They closed the call center and forced everyone they did not fire to work from home. You get one 15-minute break for every shift you work. So if you work 2 shifts in a row totaling, say 7 hours, you only get 30 minutes of break time to eat, go to the washroom, get water, stretch your legs, etc. After that it is unpaid time, and if it goes over more than 15 minutes you get in trouble. If it takes you more than 1 minute to log a call and a "pattern" of this is developing, a supervisor will literally watch the amount of time it takes for you to log every single call, and send you a message every time this happens- to the point where it borders on harassment, after which point you will again get in trouble. If you like being a grown adult with a babysitter, this is the place for you!!!

You advertised this change as giving us more freedom, but it does not feel that way at all. At least when the call center was open a bathroom pause did not count as scheduled break time. It is painfully obvious how little value you place in your employees. Just close the Virtual Call Center and put Ottawa out of its misery....PLEASE.

Although doing surveys can be very boring, I appreciated this job for its flexibility and easiness.

Current Employee - Interviewer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Opinion Search part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to make your own schedule. Can call in sick without affecting any of your co-workers, you only get "infractions" on your file. You can change up your schedule from week to week if you want to. Supervisors are very friendly for the most part. You can do sudokus and other crossword puzzles to make the time pass. You are seated. They've implemented incentives, and if you do really well these can be quite high.

Cons

Can be very boring. Getting yelled at by rude people over the phone. Some surveys are very unpleasant.

Interviewers should be allowed to read magazines, books in between calls. This wouldn't affect quality and would make the job a lot more enjoyable.

Market Researcher

Current Employee - Market Researcher (Interviewer) in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Opinion Search full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Do not need to be Bilingual !!! English OR French is fine. Easy job, low stress...

It's an office job and it requires zero skills. It's easy and stress-free. Most people do about 8 surveys a day, so as long as you can get someone to answer your survey per hour, you will be fine. Sometimes I even make up answers, no one checks :D

The flexible hours are the best features. You never have to miss a party or miss your friends and you will always have money to spend, it's pretty cool.

Cons

Low pay... 10 bucks an hour? That's only slightly better than McDonalds. However, it IS an easy office job, so that's a plus.

Pay us more please... We will work harder.

Market Research Interviewer

Current Employee - Market Researcher (Interviewer) in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Market Researcher (Interviewer) in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Opinion Search part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible hours, laid back team

Cons

Opinion Search does not give out character reference because they give out reference on performance. Supervisors and Monitors cannot give out references only the Human Resources department can and the HR department does not see the interviewer ever at work..they sit on a different floor!

be flexible about providing references

A job against my professional belief

Current Employee - Marketing Interviewer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marketing Interviewer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Opinion Search part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-good for students looking to fill their free time slots
    -get some pocket money

Cons

-paid to bother people to acquire free information
    -some supervisors are arrogant and cocky
    -almost impossible-to-get ''bonus'' system
    -hardly interaction with colleagues
    -workplace is not well-lit; some computers are not even LCD: you know what happens what these two are together

Market Research Interviewer

Former Employee - Market Researcher (Interviewer) in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Opinion Search part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hire easily, friendly environment, snack room

Cons

Don't give too many hours to new employees

Don't hire too many people, value the ones you do have.