Opower Reviews

Reset
4.3
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • Opower is a great place to learn how to work with different kinds of super-smart people all while working for a noble cause (in 11 reviews)

• Great company culture that has been maintained as the company has grown (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 9 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 6 reviews)

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

- meaningful and high-impact mission - great well-lit office with open floor plan - excellent benefits & vacation - lots of free food & fun activities - coworkers are smart and friendly - nice equipment for engineers (top of the line MBP with 3 monitors, standing desk, ergo KB/mouse) - excellent work/life balance with freedom to work from home (though you won't want to)

Cons

- software is a bit hacky and not truly SaaS - lot of office politics and too many meetings about meetings - overly focused on process improvement - too much reorganization - typical growing pains of startup

Advice to Management

Talk less and do more.

Lots of fun....but poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work; free lunch; great, smart people

Cons

This was the first job for most of the folks that were executives and that shines through when dealing with a lot of issues. Want to play with the big boys in the SaaS world, but leadership wants to be involved in every single decision- process slows down- too much focus on fun and being cool and not enough work actually being done.

Advice to Management

Lead from the front and not with an iron fist... don't only promote people when they put in their notice. Would be excellent to see some women in leadership roles to break up the good ol' boys club.

Great Place to Work - People, Mission, Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and encouraging work environment with a great team of people. Very smart and passionate employees who care about each other and the companies success. Its a fun place to work, and offers a ton of opportunity to learn and develop in areas of your interests. Has a sense of team effort to continuing to grow the company and generate results.

Cons

No 401k match Salary could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

Fun place to work, but market and product seem limited in growth.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great to work with. The focus on energy efficiency is important

Cons

Growth is slowing and product seems to be a little stale.

Advice to Management

Focus on Energy Efficiency first.

Opower is great for interns!

Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, smart people everywhere, cute puppies, free food, lots of activities and a lot of room to grow. You can learn a lot from people who are always willing to be helpful and collaborative. My team is amazing and I really enjoy helping others through my work here. Even as an intern, I have just as much responsibility on my shoulders as the rest of my team and serve a very important role. I also like that my work is appreciated and that I am pushed to bring ideas and help make this place better even though I'm "just an intern". Thanks for providing a great hands on internship!

Cons

Honestly I don't have anything bad to say about Opower.

Advice to Management

Keep being encouraging and great role models for interns.

Mar 24, 2015 – Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to Opower and the Ossociates program! Thanks for such a great review.

Some good, some bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, generally engaged co-workers Opportunities for mentorship and learning from some of the best Unique company at the intersection of energy and technology Outside brand recognition and interest in company Contrary to what others say, good work/life balance compared with consulting/banking, probably bad when compared with working a more general "industry" role

Cons

Increasingly confused mission, value proposition of original energy efficiency product was direct and marketable, but increasing forays into broader aspects of utility operations have less clear value proposition from the outside and are problematically moving the company away from its pure play roots and focus on double bottom line Frustratingly, there's also a pervasive thread of elitism in the organization, which manifests itself in management seeming ignorant of significant problems with employee satisfaction and the company's product/mission (not sure if this is purposeful of not). This needs to change! There's also a huge amount of pressure on middle managers and lower level employees to deliver value through improving products and thinking of new products to design, build, and sell. However, there's so much pressure that some pretty shaky ideas move up through the organization, while the tenuous nature of these ideas is hidden behind powerpoint slides and other charades. Finally, compensation and perks are just not satisfactory. Many employees complain of taking a big compensation hit when they moved to Opower. While this may have been okay in the early days when the company had start up value and a sole double bottom line mission, now that it's an established company and the equity isn't doing all that great, compensation needs to be commensurate with the caliber of people Opower is trying to hire.

Advice to Management

Own up to what's going wrong with this company, show humility, and fix it. There's a lot of value to be had with all the client relationships, data, and products, but think deeply about what the industry needs and don't try to sell snake oil. The original ee product had clear, tangible value proposition. You have a behavioral design hammer that worked at least once, but the company needs to be more flexible than applying this hammer to every problem. You have the brand recognition, and breadth and diversity of talent to pursue many paths to growth in this industry. I'm really excited about what this company can accomplish, but there has to be change.

Fast paced cloud company with a real mission

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

Great place to both learn and implement the things one already knows. Young people get a chance to tackle complex issues in ways I have not seen before. The culture is strong and vibrant with a real sense of purpose. Closest thing to SF in DC...

Cons

With the fast pace, you often find yourself working at that speed, which is great because you get to see things happening right in front of you. It does pose a time challenge every now and again, though.

Advice to Management

Continue with the radical transparency also after having gone public.

Mar 11, 2015 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! Happy to hear you're having a great experience.

Love-Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

When I started the people were completely amazing - smart, passionate, ambitious. The culture is great, and I love that I get to work at a company that uses behavioral science to make the world better. You have to be type-A to do well at Opower, but if you fit the personality type, it can be really exciting. You will never be bored. The company also cares deeply about what employees think - feedback (in aggregate) is taken very seriously. And Alex Laskey is wonderful! Does he still know everyone's name?

Cons

There are some serious gender bias issues. It often appears that men are promoted based on their potential (ex: I have a great idea) whereas women are promoted based on performance (ex: doing one job + another job and demonstrating that you're great at both, and having great ideas). As a woman, it's frustrating to look at people at the director level and higher. There are only a handful of women - this says to me that there's not much of a future here for me. In the past year or so, many of the really amazing people have left. As we've grown many of the newer hires aren't quite as inspiring. Opower is a young company that has grown really quickly. So, there are a decent number of growing pains in figuring out how to increase efficiency, reduce redundancy, and maintain the culture. But we really need to figure it out. We need to make sure that the people who built this company feel that it's worth sticking around.

Advice to Management

I really love Opower, and so do most people who work here. I want Opower to be a leader in energy efficiency & behavioral science, but also as an employer. Make it worth staying here for a while through 1) compensation, 2) straight forward career trajectories, 3) manager improvement (or removing ineffective managers).

Opower Response

Feb 24, 2015 – SVP, People (Sandy Hynes)

Thanks for taking time to leave us a sincere review and offer your perspective. We love hearing how much you enjoy the people at Opower. I couldn’t agree more. The future is bright for Opower as we ... More

Smoke and Mirrors Hide the Unpleasant Reality

Former Employee - Director, Client Solutions in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Director, Client Solutions in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There are some very bright people - EE and conservation are critical societal goals

Cons

- Arrogant, dismissive attitude towards market and utility clients...and some colleagues sadly - Limited opportunity for professional development - Corrosive internal politics - Many of the leaders are very reactionary, play obvious favorites - Work life balance is poor

Advice to Management

- Treat clients and employees with respect and openess - Set expectations and hold to them - Don't reward backstabbing, petty politics

Opower Completely Spoils Me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opower culture is the best part of working here. You work with smart people who do what they say they'll do and care about the planet. The company is not shy about spending money on morale. There seems to be at least one company-sponsored lunch, happy hour, or event a week, in addition to Friday lunches, massages, snacks, etc. In general, management will support you and help you grow your career. There is decent work-life balance here, although facetime is valued more than at other engineering organizations I've worked for.

Cons

We're still figuring out how to scale, so processes are in flux. The company has a very young culture and, although it doesn't seem to have a sexist culture, the Engineering and Product directors are all male (except one) and upper management includes only one female, so that seems to speak for itself. I believe they are working on this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and promote your savvy female employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed