Opower Reviews

• Arlington, VA
4.3
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

1. Opower is great for interns!

Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, smart people everywhere, cute puppies, free food, lots of activities and a lot of room to grow. You can learn a lot from people who are always willing to be helpful and collaborative. My team is amazing and I really enjoy helping others through my work here. Even as an intern, I have just as much responsibility on my shoulders as the rest of my team and serve a very important role. I also like that my work is appreciated and that I am pushed to bring ideas and help make this place better even though I'm "just an intern". Thanks for providing a great hands on internship!

Cons

Honestly I don't have anything bad to say about Opower.

Keep being encouraging and great role models for interns.

Mar 24, 2015Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to Opower and the Ossociates program! Thanks for such a great review.

Fast paced cloud company with a real mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

Great place to both learn and implement the things one already knows. Young people get a chance to tackle complex issues in ways I have not seen before. The culture is strong and vibrant with a real sense of purpose. Closest thing to SF in DC...

Cons

With the fast pace, you often find yourself working at that speed, which is great because you get to see things happening right in front of you. It does pose a time challenge every now and again, though.

Continue with the radical transparency also after having gone public.

Mar 11, 2015Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! Happy to hear you're having a great experience.

Opower Completely Spoils Me

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opower culture is the best part of working here. You work with smart people who do what they say they'll do and care about the planet. The company is not shy about spending money on morale. There seems to be at least one company-sponsored lunch, happy hour, or event a week, in addition to Friday lunches, massages, snacks, etc. In general, management will support you and help you grow your career. There is decent work-life balance here, although facetime is valued more than at other engineering organizations I've worked for.

Cons

We're still figuring out how to scale, so processes are in flux. The company has a very young culture and, although it doesn't seem to have a sexist culture, the Engineering and Product directors are all male (except one) and upper management includes only one female, so that seems to speak for itself. I believe they are working on this.

Keep up the good work and promote your savvy female employees.

Opower is a Slam Dunk

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opower truly is a great place to work. We have dogs in the office, food that is stocked everyday in the kitchen, massages onsite once a week, happy hours, and we get to work around some of the smartest people in the DC area. Generous equity and PTO. Plus we get off for a "winter break" it's like being in college all over again! The work is challenging, and if you are not challenged, there is always more work to be done. Another thing that I personally love is the people. People here are willing to lend you their knowledge if they have worked here for a while, and you have questions. Overall, I think it is an awesome place to work in the DC area and the best place I have worked for in my career.

Cons

- no 401k match
    - priorities change often

Mission driven, fast paced - buzz words but true!

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The passion that drives what we do is contagious. It can make some of those long days feel worth it and brings some of the most unique, creative individuals to Opower. The work is demanding but rewarding and if you are looking to make a career move this is the place. You will learn things faster and be a part of monumental change.

Cons

It is a post-IPO start up organization so things can change on a dime. It's not necessarily a con if you know how to deal with it and keeps you on your toes. You just have to be the type of person that enjoys change and can "live in the gray".

Dec 8, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your perspective and your loyalty to Opower. We appreciate you taking time to share!

Great people, great mission

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are the most talented I have ever worked with. I have learned so much after working here, and I am still constantly challenged to do my best.

Cons

It's a very challenging environment, and for some, this may be a turn-off.

Nov 3, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Thanks for being an O!

Awesome company

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome and the work is great. There is always a collaborative atmosphere that enables you to communicate with many different intelligent individuals. The employees are all passionate, intelligent and are the best of the best. I actually don't dread going to work as I used to.

- Tons of Benefits
    - Great People who are passionate about what they do
    - Awesome and challenging work
    - You get out of it what you put into it
    - Very laid back yet professional setting

Cons

There is a lot of work. And that means you'll probably have to stay late.

- Long hours
    - Average Pay

Jul 31, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and great feedback. We take it to heart and will be sure to share it with cOmpany leaders.

Working with with best

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than a year)

Pros

--Great company culture that has been maintained as the company has grown.
    --Senior management team is very strong, great vision for the company.
    --Exciting place to work. It is electric in the office; everyone is working hard and working towards the same goal.
    --Working with exceptionally bright people: Across the board, top to bottom, Opower finds and hires the smartest and best people. Ideas are flying and you are encouraged to think outside the box.
    --Room to grow, not only vertically, but also across the company.

Cons

--Processes are not always completely set in stone. If you don't have an agile personality/mentality in the office, you may have some difficulty flourishing. This con could actually be seen as a positive if you are interested in coming in and making Business Process changes.
    --I have noticed a hiccup in the way that middle management handles some situations. They seem to be more reactive than anything else and it can look as though they were unprepared for certain situations (ie--restructuring of teams, promotions, etc)

May 27, 2014Employer Brand Manager

All great info to share. Thanks for the review and being part of the team!

Software company that improves both the world and the lives of employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are 3 huge reasons to work for Opower.

1. Opower makes a real difference in the world. Currently Opower is savings over 1 Terawatt hour (TWh) per year and this should continue to grow exponentially for years to come. To put this in context the US Energy Information Administration estimated the entire US solar generation for 2013 to be just over 9 TWh, so Opower as a single company is producing 1/10th of the energy that the entire US solar industry is producing. Being part of this company for a few of years you will directly create more energy savings than you will likely consume in your entire efficiently lived life. That is amazing!

2. Opower is an huge financial opportunity. In the last few years the company has more than 10x'ed its value and it is very possible for Opower do this again in the next few years. This growth is certainly not a given, but Opower has a better chance at doing it than most companies out there and for those who hold on to their Options it can be a life changing financial opportunity.

3. Opower is a great work environment. Friday lunches, massages, tons of snacks, showers and bike racks at work, the list goes on. I guess for SF this sort of list is expected but in Arlington and most other places in the world perks like these are incredible and I definitely appreciate them. Also, the most important part of a great work environment is working with a bunch of smart, energetic, positive people and Opower certainly has this.

Cons

Opower is a pretty great place to work but it has some cons.

1. No 401K match, official justification is that Opower does Options grants instead. I get this but honestly I would accept a lower salary to be able to get that same amount of money in an untaxed 401k match and get above the 17.5K personal contribution limit in my 401k and would appreciate that as an option.

2. There can be friction between teams at times. Maybe Sales wants to sell something that the Product Team doesn't want to make, or the Dev team wants to make stricter data specs for easier coding while the Ops team wants looser specs for easier implementations. These conflicts can get a bit uglier and snarkier than they should and it is a drag on all involved. That being said cross team collaboration has greatly improved the last few years but it is still a work in progress.

3. Not enough emphasis placed on growing from within. Opower has grown a ton in the last few years and while there is now a framework for growing from within and a rising tide of internal promotions, there have still been many times in the past when outsiders have been hired directly into senior roles that have lead to reports basically training their own managers and a lot of wasted time. Hopefully as the company continues to grow it will continue to improve its internal talent pipelines and be less tempted by outsiders with exciting resumes.

Stay aggressive with evaluating managers and replacing those who are not amazing. Having great managers is the key to having a great company and if a manager isn't working out they must be transitioned out to keep the company moving forward. Senior management has done a good job of doing this in the past, making some tough decisions on key managers who were good but not great. Now, as Opower reaches the next stage of its growth, it is even more important to ensure it has the strongest managers. Keep providing both management and non-management career paths and if a manager is not doing well aggressively push them to switch to non-management or leave.

May 27, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Wow! Thanks for so much detail. All of this is very valuable to know for our continued success. I'll pass along your thoughts to senior management.

Great people, stimulating work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are down to earth, smart, and the best part of working at Opower. Of course the cereal bar and other perks are nice too. The work is stimulating, with more than enough challenges to keep me busy.

Cons

The pay is average and there's not a ton of room for moving up the ranks since the company is relatively small.

When can we get some 401k matching up in here!?

May 21, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and the advice! Passing your feedback on up!