Opower

Updated September 6, 2014
4.4

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • smart people, inspiring mission, business model that works (in 5 reviews)

• Opower is a great work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 8 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

40 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unorganized and Snobby Management

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, young crowd, company just went public and is growing immensely,
    Cool office space with great kitchen (watch video online)

Cons

Unorganized HR department, leaves employees without answers to offers, very pretentious (not in a good way), many employees are very snooty

Don't be so snobby and unorganized

Mar 17, 2014Employer Brand Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Opower. Please feel welcome to talk to any HR representative about your concerns. Thanks for the review and feedback - and sharing your perspective.

Great mission and vision, let down by internal politics and ways of working...

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Designed to do good for environment, utilities and utility customers.

First impression - fun loving, easy going and incredibly intelligent workforce.

Cons

Work life balance is very poor. Always on culture.

The company suffers from ivy league syndrome, lots of employees in their first job, hungry for success but with little work or real life experience. No true team spirit, a lot of folk are just out for themselves.

You have to watch your back!

Encourage better team working and collaboration across lines of business.

Better communication about organisation changes. People just disappear!

Prepare for staff turnover, no longer the promise of IPO wealth.

Jun 12, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you've been enjoying our 'do good for the environment' approach and time spent working with other intelligent people ... More

Once a great place to work

I worked at Opower full-time

Pros

You can feel good that the work you do helps people save energy, and through that, helps protect the natural environment.

Cons

A lot of mediocre managers, no real career path/growth/opportunities, no real HR department, no 401(k) match, unimpressive salaries and stock options, very little diversity, headquarters is in suburban Virginia.

Hire more grown-ups who know how to inspire, motivate, and manage staff. Be less passive-aggressive when working assumptions are challenged. Add women/people of color/gays to your all-male management team.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Still a decent place to work

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Very smart people. Lots of very intelligent, very dedicated people. Most have a good attitude and make it enjoyable to collaborate.
    * Great company mission.
    * President Alex is very inspiring and a true leader.
    * Good location in Arlington. Not far from DC with lots of restaurants and housing options for those who move to the area.
    * Fun office distractions -- lots of parties, happy hours, free shwag, to keep things exciting and wow employees who have never seen anything similar at a workplace.
    * Many opportunities to perform well and earn promotions.

Cons

* Work-life balance is terrible. People are expected to be always on and prepared to produce under unrealistic deadlines.
    * Client delivery teams perpetually operate under impossible deadlines and their chaos drives people out of that organization. It's also hard to attract the right kind of talent here. Chaos rains down on other parts of the company from the delivery teams.
    * Compensation is not very competitive, and Opower is stingy with stock. S1 filing indicates that the founders own 39% of the company still, but nearly every employee, new or old, was granted a negligible number of options.

Still a pretty decent place to work. Try to be more generous with stock and compensation because it will give employees a feeling of ownership and loyalty. We are generous with our time and effort on a daily basis and want to feel valued. Try to get more training for your middle managers, some of them are making their employees lives miserable.

The people are nice.

I worked at Opower

Pros

The best reason to work at OPOWER are the startup culture, the nice managers, and the friendliness of the employees.

Cons

The downside of working at OPOWER is that it is growing so fast that there are some real culture and process issues from the difference generations of employees.

I would tell them to try to better structure departments and define roles. It can be hard to keep employees if they end up doing work different from what they were hired to do or are put so far out of their comfort zone, they are destined to fail.

Great people, evolving org structures

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people with whom is awesome to work with, be challenged by and as a result grow

Cons

Too much work can get in way of personal growth

Focus on employee retention as much as employee acquisition

Owesome!

I worked at Opower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people. The open environment is great for collaboration and learning. There is a ton of team and company events. Lots of work but lots of play as well.

Cons

They need more people. There is so much work to do and the company is doing so well that it is hard to keep up with the demand. For every one person they hire they need 2 just to keep up.

Harness the current employee talent and potential and grow them. Don't let the great people get burned out and leave.

Aug 6, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate the review and feedback!

Incredible company with growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Engineer In Client Services and Operations  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer In Client Services and Operations in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people. Seriously, the people here are nigh brilliant. The culture is infectiously energetic, the business model works and even gives you warm fuzzies when you go to bed at night. This stuff makes people's lives better. It's a great place to work with a bunch of people who are really sharp, really care, and are really open about it.

Cons

The hours and the stress are brutal, and the expectations around that don't seem to be changing. Growing from a tiny company to a big one is always about communication, management, and administrative challenges. Opower is still struggling with these challenges.

Be very careful about balancing the risks between continued rapid growth and addressing limitations of scale based on more growth oriented choices in the past.

If Opower remains a place where only die-hards can hope to endure, you may lose more people than you can really afford to.

May 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and you are right, we are growing rapidly. I will be passing your feedback along to senior management. Your insight is valuable.

A meritocracy and an empowered employee base.. need I say more?

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the first place where I have seen employees challenge their seniors, including the CEO, and is received well, for the better. This company really believes in motivating its team members thru hiring the best and challenging them with hard problems. You are given the room to fail and rope to grow.

Fun culture, young work force, lots of energy, pranks, food, beer and fun events for various times of the year like halloween competition, worst-sweater-competition, cinco-de-mayo fun. Oh, innumerable happy hours, some company sponsored, some dutch, but still all fun. Routinely see team members going out as a group for lunch/dinner outings. Company has more than 20 activity groups like wine lovers, yoga lovers, biking, golfing etc.

Cons

Since it grew so quickly, not all ducks are in a row, so unless you are a self-starter or can thrive in chaos, keep away. Directions shift quickly, processes come and go.. nothing is set in stone. If it does not work, we throw it and retry. No ego/no hurt/no shame. That is a pro, but for some, this can be a con.

First time people managers should be given more people manager type training, so they are not just learning by the seat of their pants.

Great Company; Bad work life balance

Current Employee - Associate  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers - everyone is an A player, smart, hardowrking, and fun. We have an Owesome social life together
    Fantastic Mission - if you're environmentally focused, this is a data proven way to make a difference on Climate Change.
    Good Perks - Bring your dog to work, food in the kitchen, etc.

Cons

Lessening Growth Potential - so many stars that it's becomign harder to move up, even if you put in 150%. Everyone at Opower is a superstar and there are only so many steps upward. We hire really overqualified people too.
    Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care. Folks here work 60 -70 hour work weeks on average. It's not sustainable, and there isn't space to keep folks who want to do a good job, but also have a family life. Opower can get A players at low cost bc of the mission and brand name, so Mgmt isn't willing to help balance work/life issue. Instead, people leave when they can't handle it and are replaced.
    Decreasing Perks - post IPO company has grown and perks seem less and less budgeted for.
    Less and Less transparent culture - esp post IPO. Mngmt seems to lack clear idea of what they want to share and how they'll communicate. Seems to be conflict in how to do this.
    Loosing Innovation and Defined Values

Please be more transparent -seem to be loosing that over the past 2 years.
    Find ways to encourage employees to take risk / manage independantly / create solutions bottom up / innovate
    Realize that you can't keep hiring over qualified, 70 Hr a week A-players indefinitely. Eventually you need to come up with a work-life balance and roles that keep your star performers at Opower. We love the company, but need you to value us and keep us around!
    Find ways to increase professional development

May 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

This is all valuable insight. Thanks for sharing your review and I'll be sure to pass along your advice to Senior Management.

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!