Opower

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Unorganized and Snobby Management

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsCulture, young crowd, company just went public and is growing immensely,
    Cool office space with great kitchen (watch video online)

ConsUnorganized HR department, leaves employees without answers to offers, very pretentious (not in a good way), many employees are very snooty

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so snobby and unorganized

Opower Employer Brand Manager responded to this review Mar 17, 2014 EditDelete
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience at Opower. Please feel welcome to talk to any HR representative about your concerns. Thanks for the review and feedback - and sharing your perspective.

Great mission and vision, let down by internal politics and ways of working...

(Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsDesigned to do good for environment, utilities and utility customers.

First impression - fun loving, easy going and incredibly intelligent workforce.

ConsWork life balance is very poor. Always on culture.

The company suffers from ivy league syndrome, lots of employees in their first job, hungry for success but with little work or real life experience. No true team spirit, a lot of folk are just out for themselves.

You have to watch your back!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage better team working and collaboration across lines of business.

Better communication about organisation changes. People just disappear!

Prepare for staff turnover, no longer the promise of IPO wealth.

Opower Employer Brand Manager responded to this review Jun 12, 2014 EditDelete
    We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you've been enjoying our 'do good for the environment' approach and time spent working with other intelligent people ... More

Once a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsYou can feel good that the work you do helps people save energy, and through that, helps protect the natural environment.

ConsA lot of mediocre managers, no real career path/growth/opportunities, no real HR department, no 401(k) match, unimpressive salaries and stock options, very little diversity, headquarters is in suburban Virginia.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more grown-ups who know how to inspire, motivate, and manage staff. Be less passive-aggressive when working assumptions are challenged. Add women/people of color/gays to your all-male management team.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The people are nice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsThe best reason to work at OPOWER are the startup culture, the nice managers, and the friendliness of the employees.

ConsThe downside of working at OPOWER is that it is growing so fast that there are some real culture and process issues from the difference generations of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell them to try to better structure departments and define roles. It can be hard to keep employees if they end up doing work different from what they were hired to do or are put so far out of their comfort zone, they are destined to fail.

Incredible company with growing pains

Senior Engineer In Client Services and Operations (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsSmart people. Seriously, the people here are nigh brilliant. The culture is infectiously energetic, the business model works and even gives you warm fuzzies when you go to bed at night. This stuff makes people's lives better. It's a great place to work with a bunch of people who are really sharp, really care, and are really open about it.

ConsThe hours and the stress are brutal, and the expectations around that don't seem to be changing. Growing from a tiny company to a big one is always about communication, management, and administrative challenges. Opower is still struggling with these challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe very careful about balancing the risks between continued rapid growth and addressing limitations of scale based on more growth oriented choices in the past.

If Opower remains a place where only die-hards can hope to endure, you may lose more people than you can really afford to.

Opower Employer Brand Manager responded to this review May 16, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the review and you are right, we are growing rapidly. I will be passing your feedback along to senior management. Your insight is valuable.

A meritocracy and an empowered employee base.. need I say more?

Arlington, VA

ProsThis is the first place where I have seen employees challenge their seniors, including the CEO, and is received well, for the better. This company really believes in motivating its team members thru hiring the best and challenging them with hard problems. You are given the room to fail and rope to grow.

Fun culture, young work force, lots of energy, pranks, food, beer and fun events for various times of the year like halloween competition, worst-sweater-competition, cinco-de-mayo fun. Oh, innumerable happy hours, some company sponsored, some dutch, but still all fun. Routinely see team members going out as a group for lunch/dinner outings. Company has more than 20 activity groups like wine lovers, yoga lovers, biking, golfing etc.

ConsSince it grew so quickly, not all ducks are in a row, so unless you are a self-starter or can thrive in chaos, keep away. Directions shift quickly, processes come and go.. nothing is set in stone. If it does not work, we throw it and retry. No ego/no hurt/no shame. That is a pro, but for some, this can be a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst time people managers should be given more people manager type training, so they are not just learning by the seat of their pants.

Great Company; Bad work life balance

Associate (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsAwesome coworkers - everyone is an A player, smart, hardowrking, and fun. We have an Owesome social life together
    Fantastic Mission - if you're environmentally focused, this is a data proven way to make a difference on Climate Change.
    Good Perks - Bring your dog to work, food in the kitchen, etc.

ConsLessening Growth Potential - so many stars that it's becomign harder to move up, even if you put in 150%. Everyone at Opower is a superstar and there are only so many steps upward. We hire really overqualified people too.
    Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care. Folks here work 60 -70 hour work weeks on average. It's not sustainable, and there isn't space to keep folks who want to do a good job, but also have a family life. Opower can get A players at low cost bc of the mission and brand name, so Mgmt isn't willing to help balance work/life issue. Instead, people leave when they can't handle it and are replaced.
    Decreasing Perks - post IPO company has grown and perks seem less and less budgeted for.
    Less and Less transparent culture - esp post IPO. Mngmt seems to lack clear idea of what they want to share and how they'll communicate. Seems to be conflict in how to do this.
    Loosing Innovation and Defined Values

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more transparent -seem to be loosing that over the past 2 years.
    Find ways to encourage employees to take risk / manage independantly / create solutions bottom up / innovate
    Realize that you can't keep hiring over qualified, 70 Hr a week A-players indefinitely. Eventually you need to come up with a work-life balance and roles that keep your star performers at Opower. We love the company, but need you to value us and keep us around!
    Find ways to increase professional development

Opower Employer Brand Manager responded to this review May 16, 2014 EditDelete
    This is all valuable insight. Thanks for sharing your review and I'll be sure to pass along your advice to Senior Management.

Watch your back

Director (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsGreat mission driven company (energy efficiency really matters). Most of the individual contributors are smart and hard working.

ConsThe management team is duplicitous at best. If you're Director level or higher, watch your back. The C-level team fired a ton of Directors in the 2 years prior to IPO. It didn't matter how much you'd contributed to the company's growth and success. If you were middle management, your head was on the chopping block. Maybe things are better now the IPO has happened, but who knows?

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some integrity. Respect your team. Reward managers for hard work.

Great Place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsExtremely smart people - I learned so much from the people I work with.
    Laid back environment - No dress code, dogs in the office, ping pong table, video games, seated massage Wednesdays, free lunch Fridays ....
    Reasonably competitive pay.

ConsPeople can get very highly opinionated.
    As the company grows larger, the fun things that were once considered important to the company are getting lost.

Opower Employer Brand Manager responded to this review Mar 28, 2014 EditDelete
    Happy to hear you're happy - and for the feedback! We have grown very rapidly and maintaining our company culture is a #1 priority - so thank you for sharing your perspective.

Passionate

Arlington, VA

ProsThe people are all A-list and care about at least one of the two aspects of the dual bottom-line mission: profit and energy use reduction. The CEO & President genuinely care about everyone in the company. The stocked breakroom, group lunches, various clubs, and happy hours are a plus.

ConsOver the past two years, the coupany has tripled in number of employees. Perhaps because of this, politics between parts of the company has ranged from confusing to nasty in the past few months. Some middle-managers are more focused about their rank and position when they should be supporting people on their team or focusing on bottom-line results. The result is an environment is one where lower-level employees tend to get things done despite their respective bosses as well as a bit of fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementDan and Alex should take a hard look and their second-level direct reports and ask not only if they have the technical skills but the people skills for a growing company.

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!

Opower Videos

Opower – Why Work for Us?

We partnered with our first utility client in 2007 from a rented desk in San Francisco. Since then, we’ve grown into a well-capitalized business with more than 500 employees, and offices in Arlington, Virginia, San… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opower reviews and ratings in Arlington, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Opower CEO Daniel Yates. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Opower employees.