Opower

Updated September 22, 2014
4.3

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people (in 9 reviews)

• Competitive pay, fun work environment, senior management is very approachable, great coworkers (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 9 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

So happy to be an O!

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

As an employer, Opower is great. There is a real focus on employees and making this a fun, challenging, "Owesome" place to work. I've received really great training and guidance on the utility industry and markets, and I have learned a ton in my short time here. There is also a real focus on creating a diverse, integrated, respectful work environment; something I really appreciate after years in the IT industry.
    Working here, you're surrounded by really smart, capable people. There is a genuine desire from the team here to carry out Opower's mission. People are invested in doing their part in making the world a better place. It's not lip service, and it's great to be part of a dedicated team like this one.
    Finally, the dogs! There are wet noses to smooch, ears to scratch, and play bows and wagging tails to make you smile.

Cons

- Lack of 401(k) matching. This is a very odd benefit not to have, especially given the otherwise robust benefits package offered.
    - For all the "Owesome" stuff, it's clear that Opower is going through some growing pains. There's a lot to do, and not always enough hands to do the work. If you're willing to speak up and roll up your sleeves at times, your hard work and recommendations will be heard and recognized.

Keep investing in corporate diversity and integration, and managerial training. Also, 401(k) MATCHING! C'mon peeps!

Sep 22, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. All are being taken to heart with new diversity roundtables and happy hours underway, management training in the works, and there's a team ... More

Great people, evolving org structures

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people with whom is awesome to work with, be challenged by and as a result grow

Cons

Too much work can get in way of personal growth

Focus on employee retention as much as employee acquisition

Overall great company, but culture is changing

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Upward mobility and opportunity to explore different roles and responsbilities

Cons

Work culture in the San Francisco office is lacking camaraderie, and there is a lack of manager training (and therefore several ineffective managers).

Invest in the people more, development, training, and compensation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to learn

I worked at Opower

Pros

A really fun place to work with really smart people. The environment fosters collaboration and learning. Plus the mission is obviously Owesome!

Cons

There is so much work to be done and not enough people to do it! They need more people.

Owesome!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people. The open environment is great for collaboration and learning. There is a ton of team and company events. Lots of work but lots of play as well.

Cons

They need more people. There is so much work to do and the company is doing so well that it is hard to keep up with the demand. For every one person they hire they need 2 just to keep up.

Harness the current employee talent and potential and grow them. Don't let the great people get burned out and leave.

Aug 6, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate the review and feedback!

Still a decent place to work

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Very smart people. Lots of very intelligent, very dedicated people. Most have a good attitude and make it enjoyable to collaborate.
    * Great company mission.
    * President Alex is very inspiring and a true leader.
    * Good location in Arlington. Not far from DC with lots of restaurants and housing options for those who move to the area.
    * Fun office distractions -- lots of parties, happy hours, free shwag, to keep things exciting and wow employees who have never seen anything similar at a workplace.
    * Many opportunities to perform well and earn promotions.

Cons

* Work-life balance is terrible. People are expected to be always on and prepared to produce under unrealistic deadlines.
    * Client delivery teams perpetually operate under impossible deadlines and their chaos drives people out of that organization. It's also hard to attract the right kind of talent here. Chaos rains down on other parts of the company from the delivery teams.
    * Compensation is not very competitive, and Opower is stingy with stock. S1 filing indicates that the founders own 39% of the company still, but nearly every employee, new or old, was granted a negligible number of options.

Still a pretty decent place to work. Try to be more generous with stock and compensation because it will give employees a feeling of ownership and loyalty. We are generous with our time and effort on a daily basis and want to feel valued. Try to get more training for your middle managers, some of them are making their employees lives miserable.

Awesome company

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are awesome and the work is great. There is always a collaborative atmosphere that enables you to communicate with many different intelligent individuals. The employees are all passionate, intelligent and are the best of the best. I actually don't dread going to work as I used to.

- Tons of Benefits
    - Great People who are passionate about what they do
    - Awesome and challenging work
    - You get out of it what you put into it
    - Very laid back yet professional setting

Cons

There is a lot of work. And that means you'll probably have to stay late.

- Long hours
    - Average Pay

Jul 31, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and great feedback. We take it to heart and will be sure to share it with cOmpany leaders.

Simple

I worked at Opower

Pros

Friendly interviewers, god management, feel welcomed

Cons

Not technical enough and office space is not that large to accommodate people

Fun environment, talented people

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment here is extremely collaborative and trusting. The training and onboarding processes are fast-paced, however new employees are given strong support from all areas. My managers have been flexible with hours and time off, and (almost) always leave the office by 6:00. Great open work space - every employee is near a window and has a smorgasbord of choices for healthy office furniture. There are many smaller/quieter work spaces available, a great kitchen, and friendly office dogs too. The employees here have varied backgrounds and interests, all of which are often showcased in one way or another at work. While Opower strives for a double bottom line, management is pragmatic and evidence-driven in setting their energy efficiency goals.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive and there is no 401K matching; I'm hoping that the recent fundraising round will help to boost some salary and benefits. The hiring process and HR team seemed a little overwhelmed at times, however I attributed that to an extremely rapid ramp-up in employees.

Jun 23, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! We love hearing how happy you are at Opower and appreciate your suggestion.

O-Powered Up

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Recent IPO, current employees are intelligent, passionate and truly encompass the company values, hyper-growth mode, unique culture, several cool perks, double bottom line mission/vision.

Cons

As the company has grown there is an even greater need for management/leadership training, better benefit offerings, and more flexible work options to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Jun 13, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! We're happy to hear you're happy! You are right - as we grow rapidly, we need to have more leadership training in place. I'm happy to report that is an initiative the People ... More

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!