Opower

Opower Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates

Daniel Yates

Pros
  • smart people, inspiring mission, business model that works(in 5 reviews)

• Opower is a great work environment(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care(in 8 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space(in 5 reviews)

Fun environment, talented people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe environment here is extremely collaborative and trusting. The training and onboarding processes are fast-paced, however new employees are given strong support from all areas. My managers have been flexible with hours and time off, and (almost) always leave the office by 6:00. Great open work space - every employee is near a window and has a smorgasbord of choices for healthy office furniture. There are many smaller/quieter work spaces available, a great kitchen, and friendly office dogs too. The employees here have varied backgrounds and interests, all of which are often showcased in one way or another at work. While Opower strives for a double bottom line, management is pragmatic and evidence-driven in setting their energy efficiency goals.

ConsCompensation is not competitive and there is no 401K matching; I'm hoping that the recent fundraising round will help to boost some salary and benefits. The hiring process and HR team seemed a little overwhelmed at times, however I attributed that to an extremely rapid ramp-up in employees.

Jun 23, 2014

Thanks for the review! We love hearing how happy you are at Opower and appreciate your suggestion.

Simple

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly interviewers, god management, feel welcomed

ConsNot technical enough and office space is not that large to accommodate people

O-Powered Up

ProsRecent IPO, current employees are intelligent, passionate and truly encompass the company values, hyper-growth mode, unique culture, several cool perks, double bottom line mission/vision.

ConsAs the company has grown there is an even greater need for management/leadership training, better benefit offerings, and more flexible work options to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Jun 13, 2014

Thanks for the review! We're happy to hear you're happy! You are right - as we grow rapidly, we need to have more leadership training in place. I'm happy to report that is an initiative the People ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great mission and vision, let down by internal politics and ways of working...

(Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsDesigned to do good for environment, utilities and utility customers.

First impression - fun loving, easy going and incredibly intelligent workforce.

ConsWork life balance is very poor. Always on culture.

The company suffers from ivy league syndrome, lots of employees in their first job, hungry for success but with little work or real life experience. No true team spirit, a lot of folk are just out for themselves.

You have to watch your back!

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage better team working and collaboration across lines of business.

Better communication about organisation changes. People just disappear!

Prepare for staff turnover, no longer the promise of IPO wealth.

Jun 12, 2014

We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review. We're happy to hear you've been enjoying our 'do good for the environment' approach and time spent working with other intelligent people ... More

Great people, stimulating work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe people are down to earth, smart, and the best part of working at Opower. Of course the cereal bar and other perks are nice too. The work is stimulating, with more than enough challenges to keep me busy.

ConsThe pay is average and there's not a ton of room for moving up the ranks since the company is relatively small.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen can we get some 401k matching up in here!?

May 21, 2014

Thanks for the review and the advice! Passing your feedback on up!

Great mission, great people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun environment- lots of great people who are funny, smart, and passionate about what they are doing
    Technology is great...a true SaaS company with an inspiring mission
    Great perks like beautiful office, good food and beer, bicycle and dog friendly, great location
    Opower invests in their people--promotion rate is really high, people are rewarded for great work
    Still has small company feeling and a great culture of accountability

ConsNot the most diverse culture, mostly young, white and male.
    Senior management isn't ready to run a public company--they are in over their head

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to prove that they can run a mature, public company. They need to accept that bureaucracy is a necessary evil, and let go of some of their old ways in order to scale this company.

May 29, 2014

Appreciate the review and Owesome ratings! Thanks for the advice too- I'll be sure to share it with Senior Management.

Working with with best

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros--Great company culture that has been maintained as the company has grown.
    --Senior management team is very strong, great vision for the company.
    --Exciting place to work. It is electric in the office; everyone is working hard and working towards the same goal.
    --Working with exceptionally bright people: Across the board, top to bottom, Opower finds and hires the smartest and best people. Ideas are flying and you are encouraged to think outside the box.
    --Room to grow, not only vertically, but also across the company.

Cons--Processes are not always completely set in stone. If you don't have an agile personality/mentality in the office, you may have some difficulty flourishing. This con could actually be seen as a positive if you are interested in coming in and making Business Process changes.
    --I have noticed a hiccup in the way that middle management handles some situations. They seem to be more reactive than anything else and it can look as though they were unprepared for certain situations (ie--restructuring of teams, promotions, etc)

May 27, 2014

All great info to share. Thanks for the review and being part of the team!

Motivated team, fast-growing but tough business! Need a thick skin to weather the storm...

Director, Client Solutions (Current Employee)

ProsLearning opportunities are phenomenal; Being part of a fast-growing and visible company and doing well has its long-term advantages. This is no more a startup, but a young company.

Expect long hours as there is a lot of whitespace and lack of structure (which is a good thing!); Expect to be dropped into the water and learn to swim yourself (also a good thing for the right person!)

ConsLong recruiting process (but feels good to get thru at the end of it); Lot of travel (esp. for Sales roles)

May 16, 2014

We appreciate the review and will pass it along to recruiting and senior management.

Software company that improves both the world and the lives of employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThere are 3 huge reasons to work for Opower.

1. Opower makes a real difference in the world. Currently Opower is savings over 1 Terawatt hour (TWh) per year and this should continue to grow exponentially for years to come. To put this in context the US Energy Information Administration estimated the entire US solar generation for 2013 to be just over 9 TWh, so Opower as a single company is producing 1/10th of the energy that the entire US solar industry is producing. Being part of this company for a few of years you will directly create more energy savings than you will likely consume in your entire efficiently lived life. That is amazing!

2. Opower is an huge financial opportunity. In the last few years the company has more than 10x'ed its value and it is very possible for Opower do this again in the next few years. This growth is certainly not a given, but Opower has a better chance at doing it than most companies out there and for those who hold on to their Options it can be a life changing financial opportunity.

3. Opower is a great work environment. Friday lunches, massages, tons of snacks, showers and bike racks at work, the list goes on. I guess for SF this sort of list is expected but in Arlington and most other places in the world perks like these are incredible and I definitely appreciate them. Also, the most important part of a great work environment is working with a bunch of smart, energetic, positive people and Opower certainly has this.

ConsOpower is a pretty great place to work but it has some cons.

1. No 401K match, official justification is that Opower does Options grants instead. I get this but honestly I would accept a lower salary to be able to get that same amount of money in an untaxed 401k match and get above the 17.5K personal contribution limit in my 401k and would appreciate that as an option.

2. There can be friction between teams at times. Maybe Sales wants to sell something that the Product Team doesn't want to make, or the Dev team wants to make stricter data specs for easier coding while the Ops team wants looser specs for easier implementations. These conflicts can get a bit uglier and snarkier than they should and it is a drag on all involved. That being said cross team collaboration has greatly improved the last few years but it is still a work in progress.

3. Not enough emphasis placed on growing from within. Opower has grown a ton in the last few years and while there is now a framework for growing from within and a rising tide of internal promotions, there have still been many times in the past when outsiders have been hired directly into senior roles that have lead to reports basically training their own managers and a lot of wasted time. Hopefully as the company continues to grow it will continue to improve its internal talent pipelines and be less tempted by outsiders with exciting resumes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay aggressive with evaluating managers and replacing those who are not amazing. Having great managers is the key to having a great company and if a manager isn't working out they must be transitioned out to keep the company moving forward. Senior management has done a good job of doing this in the past, making some tough decisions on key managers who were good but not great. Now, as Opower reaches the next stage of its growth, it is even more important to ensure it has the strongest managers. Keep providing both management and non-management career paths and if a manager is not doing well aggressively push them to switch to non-management or leave.

May 27, 2014

Wow! Thanks for so much detail. All of this is very valuable to know for our continued success. I'll pass along your thoughts to senior management.

Work Hard, Play Hard

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsOpower has built a great company culture and group of talented, interesting employees. It feels good to know that the work we are doing is truly helping the world at large. I am happy with my compensation and the flexibility to work remotely when I need to.

ConsThere is a lot of snark, which can be off putting to those who don't care to engage in it. Some people have complained about issues of work/life balance, but I think that is more of a complaint in other teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementPOW!

May 16, 2014

Thanks for the review - we appreciate you taking the time to share your perspective.

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!