Opower Reviews

113 reviews filtered by
4.0
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people (in 11 reviews)

• Probably the "coolest company" in Virginia if you're looking for a Google-esque company culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 9 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Dynamic company with a lot of moving parts

I have been working at Opower

Pros

Opower is not perfect but it's a company that has fun, believes in its product and attracts great people. I quickly learned how to adapt i a results-driven environment; if you're not comfortable juggling competing priorities and being kept on your toes, this isn't the place for you. The collaborative work culture is awesome - every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise. Great mission, too! Other perks: catered lunches, weekly massages, semi-annual "Innovation Days," generous PTO policy, can bring your dog to the office, etc...

Cons

There have been a number of re-orgs lately (read: management shifts), which have been awkward. All signs point to things improving soon, though.

Feb 24, 2015Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review! It's great hearing all the things you love about Opower and our outlook.

2. Contractor

Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Opower

Pros

Great work values & mission. Awesome people that inspire and motivate. Perfect balance between start up culture and effective infrastructure.

Cons

Need more of an international presence.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Great Place to Work - People, Mission, Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and encouraging work environment with a great team of people. Very smart and passionate employees who care about each other and the companies success. Its a fun place to work, and offers a ton of opportunity to learn and develop in areas of your interests. Has a sense of team effort to continuing to grow the company and generate results.

Cons

No 401k match
    Salary could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

Opower is great for interns!

Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, smart people everywhere, cute puppies, free food, lots of activities and a lot of room to grow. You can learn a lot from people who are always willing to be helpful and collaborative. My team is amazing and I really enjoy helping others through my work here. Even as an intern, I have just as much responsibility on my shoulders as the rest of my team and serve a very important role. I also like that my work is appreciated and that I am pushed to bring ideas and help make this place better even though I'm "just an intern". Thanks for providing a great hands on internship!

Cons

Honestly I don't have anything bad to say about Opower.

Advice to Management

Keep being encouraging and great role models for interns.

Mar 24, 2015Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to Opower and the Ossociates program! Thanks for such a great review.

Fast paced cloud company with a real mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

Great place to both learn and implement the things one already knows. Young people get a chance to tackle complex issues in ways I have not seen before. The culture is strong and vibrant with a real sense of purpose. Closest thing to SF in DC...

Cons

With the fast pace, you often find yourself working at that speed, which is great because you get to see things happening right in front of you. It does pose a time challenge every now and again, though.

Advice to Management

Continue with the radical transparency also after having gone public.

Mar 11, 2015Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! Happy to hear you're having a great experience.

7. Rising star in energy and utility sector

Current Employee - Vice President, Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Vice President, Sales in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Opower

Pros

Great work environment, people and career pathing

Cons

None so far. Will keep you posted as I go.

Thanks for the review!

8. Great move for me...

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Opower

Pros

Moving from a rather large energy company to Opower was a great and refreshing move for me mid-career. This company moves extremely quickly, with a sense of urgency and hires very talented teams. The leadership will challenge you daily and will make you better. Atmosphere in the office is relaxed, but motivating...if you want a Google environment, but an energy start-up feel...this is the place for you.

Cons

Need to set up smaller satellite offices for remote sales

Advice to Management

Stay the course and don't let what got you to the first $100M detract you from getting to the next $100M....

Mar 11, 2015Employer Brand Manager

There's definitely a correlation between the urgency of our day-to-day work at Opower and the urgency to make a positive impact on the environment. Thanks for leaving us a review and the suggestion ... More

Opower Completely Spoils Me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opower culture is the best part of working here. You work with smart people who do what they say they'll do and care about the planet. The company is not shy about spending money on morale. There seems to be at least one company-sponsored lunch, happy hour, or event a week, in addition to Friday lunches, massages, snacks, etc. In general, management will support you and help you grow your career. There is decent work-life balance here, although facetime is valued more than at other engineering organizations I've worked for.

Cons

We're still figuring out how to scale, so processes are in flux. The company has a very young culture and, although it doesn't seem to have a sexist culture, the Engineering and Product directors are all male (except one) and upper management includes only one female, so that seems to speak for itself. I believe they are working on this.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and promote your savvy female employees.

Felt like home within the first couple months!

I have been working at Opower full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been here a short time and I ALREADY feel like I've been here for MUCH longer! And that's a good thing. I've learned so much and the people doing the training are excellent. The OpowerU sessions were extremely helpful, and a great way to personally get a feel for each area of the company and ask questions. The benefits Opower offers are wonderful and the fact that they offer supplemental PAID maternity leave is something that lots of companies aren't doing. It's GREAT and says a lot about what the company thinks is important.

Cons

401k matching would be nice but I'm sure that's coming down the pike at some point. I'll have more in this section as my employment continues.

Advice to Management

Stay engaged with your staff, of all levels. Walk around, introduce yourself, talk to people on a personal level and ask questions. Most people who loves their jobs think they have a GREAT boss. Be that boss!

Mar 11, 2015Employer Brand Manager

This is great feedback! Thanks for leaving us a review and for being an O!

If you value job satisfaction, this is the place for you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opower is a company that truly believes in being double bottom line - helping its customers succeed while cutting carbon emissions.

There is very few companies at the intersection of clean tech and advanced data analytics that have earned the respect of the market and the admiration of their clients like Opower has. More importantly, fewer companies value their people like Opower does. It is not uncommon to celebrate an employee's 4-year anniversary with a personalized gift OR give away surprise trips as part of a holiday raffles and employee referral bonus programs.

The Perks are great and the salaries are on par with market. Most of all, the people here are smart and genuinely interested in making a difference to how energy efficiency is thought about in the US of A as well as globally. Opower is an Owesome experience and probably one of the best places to build a career in CleanTech and Software right now.

Cons

The O-team has always believed in working hard and playing harder. However, the recent IPO has left teams unclear on what the future budgets for expansion are going to look like. There has been a lack of focus on training until recently as well - now there is a rush to correct course and make up for it !

Advice to Management

If you want teams to focus on long term growth, vote with their budgets.