Opower

Updated August 28, 2014

4.4

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • smart people, inspiring mission, business model that works (in 5 reviews)

• Opower is a great work environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 8 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall great company, but culture is changing

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Upward mobility and opportunity to explore different roles and responsbilities

Cons

Work culture in the San Francisco office is lacking camaraderie, and there is a lack of manager training (and therefore several ineffective managers).

Invest in the people more, development, training, and compensation.

A great place to learn

I worked at Opower

Pros

A really fun place to work with really smart people. The environment fosters collaboration and learning. Plus the mission is obviously Owesome!

Cons

There is so much work to be done and not enough people to do it! They need more people.

Still a decent place to work

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Very smart people. Lots of very intelligent, very dedicated people. Most have a good attitude and make it enjoyable to collaborate.
    * Great company mission.
    * President Alex is very inspiring and a true leader.
    * Good location in Arlington. Not far from DC with lots of restaurants and housing options for those who move to the area.
    * Fun office distractions -- lots of parties, happy hours, free shwag, to keep things exciting and wow employees who have never seen anything similar at a workplace.
    * Many opportunities to perform well and earn promotions.

Cons

* Work-life balance is terrible. People are expected to be always on and prepared to produce under unrealistic deadlines.
    * Client delivery teams perpetually operate under impossible deadlines and their chaos drives people out of that organization. It's also hard to attract the right kind of talent here. Chaos rains down on other parts of the company from the delivery teams.
    * Compensation is not very competitive, and Opower is stingy with stock. S1 filing indicates that the founders own 39% of the company still, but nearly every employee, new or old, was granted a negligible number of options.

Still a pretty decent place to work. Try to be more generous with stock and compensation because it will give employees a feeling of ownership and loyalty. We are generous with our time and effort on a daily basis and want to feel valued. Try to get more training for your middle managers, some of them are making their employees lives miserable.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Owesome!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people. The open environment is great for collaboration and learning. There is a ton of team and company events. Lots of work but lots of play as well.

Cons

They need more people. There is so much work to do and the company is doing so well that it is hard to keep up with the demand. For every one person they hire they need 2 just to keep up.

Harness the current employee talent and potential and grow them. Don't let the great people get burned out and leave.

Aug 6, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate the review and feedback!

A company that ENGAGES.. Addictive!

Current Employee - Sales Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people... I've been working in Intel and Oracle before and the professional level in Opower is even higher. In addition you really feel valued and the management is really helpful. By the way, it's the first time that I enjoy working for a company and I don't mind answering emails on the weekend... Dan and Alex got it! :)

When you feel that you are working for a nice company with nice people around and you are decreasing the climate change... What else can you ask for??? :)

I would like to add that even the brand is amazing. We have some goodies that are really nice and Opower is now a real brand with some marketing that is awesome!

Cons

There are two tiny issues I would complain for... First, there are a lot of internal reviews in a bad moment of the year. Second, the goodies that are sent to the offices out of the States are really poor... We don't get the good ones! ;)

Send more goodies to Europe!

And now seriously, please book the review times more wisely :)

Jul 31, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for this review and such helpful feedback! We've grown so much and want to keep the O experience the same as much as possible across the globe. I'm passing your review feedback to HR today ... More

Awesome company

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are awesome and the work is great. There is always a collaborative atmosphere that enables you to communicate with many different intelligent individuals. The employees are all passionate, intelligent and are the best of the best. I actually don't dread going to work as I used to.

- Tons of Benefits
    - Great People who are passionate about what they do
    - Awesome and challenging work
    - You get out of it what you put into it
    - Very laid back yet professional setting

Cons

There is a lot of work. And that means you'll probably have to stay late.

- Long hours
    - Average Pay

Jul 31, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and great feedback. We take it to heart and will be sure to share it with cOmpany leaders.

Simple

I worked at Opower

Pros

Friendly interviewers, god management, feel welcomed

Cons

Not technical enough and office space is not that large to accommodate people

Amazing. Unbelievable really.

Current Employee - Sales Director  in  Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

Been in IT for 15 years working with and for what I reckon to be the best companies in the industry. So I thought. I continue to be simply amazed by Opower, never seen anything quite like it. When considering a new opportunity I go through a checklist of parameters, including market in which company competes, market position, funding, leadership, compensation, personal development possibilities, betterment of the world ("nice" to have. Always if possible inspiring if one can contribute to the betterment of humanity) simply adds a little bit more meaning, but was/is not mandatory by any means.

Coming into the job, Opower scored pretty much full score. Never seen that before, so I had to look into it again...same result, only more conclusive. Could it really be !? More research. Now Zi am onboard since a month, not only have I do far gotten confirmation, things have proved to be even better. Never had that before. In disbelief really.

That's is all I can say to this point. Unbelievable.

Cons

Yet to find...and I keep looking. And bare in mind, I am not a positive guy ! I usually find the bad stuff quick, even though I shouldn't. I am sure there must be, and I will come back as soon as I find it. Believe this.

Keep on doing what you are doing !

Jun 27, 2014Employer Brand Manager

wOw! What a fantastic thing to read. We appreciate your enthusiasm and the time you took to leave a review. Welcome to O!

Fun environment, talented people

I have been working at Opower full-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment here is extremely collaborative and trusting. The training and onboarding processes are fast-paced, however new employees are given strong support from all areas. My managers have been flexible with hours and time off, and (almost) always leave the office by 6:00. Great open work space - every employee is near a window and has a smorgasbord of choices for healthy office furniture. There are many smaller/quieter work spaces available, a great kitchen, and friendly office dogs too. The employees here have varied backgrounds and interests, all of which are often showcased in one way or another at work. While Opower strives for a double bottom line, management is pragmatic and evidence-driven in setting their energy efficiency goals.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive and there is no 401K matching; I'm hoping that the recent fundraising round will help to boost some salary and benefits. The hiring process and HR team seemed a little overwhelmed at times, however I attributed that to an extremely rapid ramp-up in employees.

Jun 23, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! We love hearing how happy you are at Opower and appreciate your suggestion.

O-Powered Up

I have been working at Opower full-time for more than a year

Pros

Recent IPO, current employees are intelligent, passionate and truly encompass the company values, hyper-growth mode, unique culture, several cool perks, double bottom line mission/vision.

Cons

As the company has grown there is an even greater need for management/leadership training, better benefit offerings, and more flexible work options to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Jun 13, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! We're happy to hear you're happy! You are right - as we grow rapidly, we need to have more leadership training in place. I'm happy to report that is an initiative the People ... More

Worked for Opower? Contribute to the Community!