Opower

Updated January 16, 2015
4.2

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people (in 11 reviews)

• Probably the "coolest company" in Virginia if you're looking for a Google-esque company culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 9 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Smoke and Mirrors Hide the Unpleasant Reality

Former Employee - Director, Client Solutions in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Director, Client Solutions in Arlington, VA

I worked at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- There are some very bright people
    - EE and conservation are critical societal goals

Cons

- Arrogant, dismissive attitude towards market and utility clients...and some colleagues sadly
    - Limited opportunity for professional development
    - Corrosive internal politics
    - Many of the leaders are very reactionary, play obvious favorites
    - Work life balance is poor

- Treat clients and employees with respect and openess
    - Set expectations and hold to them
    - Don't reward backstabbing, petty politics

Love-Hate Relationship

I have been working at Opower

Pros

When I started the people were completely amazing - smart, passionate, ambitious. The culture is great, and I love that I get to work at a company that uses behavioral science to make the world better. You have to be type-A to do well at Opower, but if you fit the personality type, it can be really exciting. You will never be bored.

The company also cares deeply about what employees think - feedback (in aggregate) is taken very seriously. And Alex Laskey is wonderful! Does he still know everyone's name?

Cons

There are some serious gender bias issues. It often appears that men are promoted based on their potential (ex: I have a great idea) whereas women are promoted based on performance (ex: doing one job + another job and demonstrating that you're great at both, and having great ideas). As a woman, it's frustrating to look at people at the director level and higher. There are only a handful of women - this says to me that there's not much of a future here for me.

In the past year or so, many of the really amazing people have left. As we've grown many of the newer hires aren't quite as inspiring. Opower is a young company that has grown really quickly. So, there are a decent number of growing pains in figuring out how to increase efficiency, reduce redundancy, and maintain the culture. But we really need to figure it out. We need to make sure that the people who built this company feel that it's worth sticking around.

I really love Opower, and so do most people who work here. I want Opower to be a leader in energy efficiency & behavioral science, but also as an employer. Make it worth staying here for a while through 1) compensation, 2) straight forward career trajectories, 3) manager improvement (or removing ineffective managers).

Great move for me...

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Opower

Pros

Moving from a rather large energy company to Opower was a great and refreshing move for me mid-career. This company moves extremely quickly, with a sense of urgency and hires very talented teams. The leadership will challenge you daily and will make you better. Atmosphere in the office is relaxed, but motivating...if you want a Google environment, but an energy start-up feel...this is the place for you.

Cons

Need to set up smaller satellite offices for remote sales

Stay the course and don't let what got you to the first $100M detract you from getting to the next $100M....

Opower Completely Spoils Me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opower culture is the best part of working here. You work with smart people who do what they say they'll do and care about the planet. The company is not shy about spending money on morale. There seems to be at least one company-sponsored lunch, happy hour, or event a week, in addition to Friday lunches, massages, snacks, etc. In general, management will support you and help you grow your career. There is decent work-life balance here, although facetime is valued more than at other engineering organizations I've worked for.

Cons

We're still figuring out how to scale, so processes are in flux. The company has a very young culture and, although it doesn't seem to have a sexist culture, the Engineering and Product directors are all male (except one) and upper management includes only one female, so that seems to speak for itself. I believe they are working on this.

Keep up the good work and promote your savvy female employees.

Felt like home within the first couple months!

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I've only been here a short time and I ALREADY feel like I've been here for MUCH longer! And that's a good thing. I've learned so much and the people doing the training are excellent. The OpowerU sessions were extremely helpful, and a great way to personally get a feel for each area of the company and ask questions. The benefits Opower offers are wonderful and the fact that they offer supplemental PAID maternity leave is something that lots of companies aren't doing. It's GREAT and says a lot about what the company thinks is important.

Cons

401k matching would be nice but I'm sure that's coming down the pike at some point. I'll have more in this section as my employment continues.

Stay engaged with your staff, of all levels. Walk around, introduce yourself, talk to people on a personal level and ask questions. Most people who loves their jobs think they have a GREAT boss. Be that boss!

If you value job satisfaction, this is the place for you

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opower is a company that truly believes in being double bottom line - helping its customers succeed while cutting carbon emissions.

There is very few companies at the intersection of clean tech and advanced data analytics that have earned the respect of the market and the admiration of their clients like Opower has. More importantly, fewer companies value their people like Opower does. It is not uncommon to celebrate an employee's 4-year anniversary with a personalized gift OR give away surprise trips as part of a holiday raffles and employee referral bonus programs.

The Perks are great and the salaries are on par with market. Most of all, the people here are smart and genuinely interested in making a difference to how energy efficiency is thought about in the US of A as well as globally. Opower is an Owesome experience and probably one of the best places to build a career in CleanTech and Software right now.

Cons

The O-team has always believed in working hard and playing harder. However, the recent IPO has left teams unclear on what the future budgets for expansion are going to look like. There has been a lack of focus on training until recently as well - now there is a rush to correct course and make up for it !

If you want teams to focus on long term growth, vote with their budgets.

Dynamic company with a lot of moving parts

I have been working at Opower

Pros

Opower is not perfect but it's a company that has fun, believes in its product and attracts great people. I quickly learned how to adapt i a results-driven environment; if you're not comfortable juggling competing priorities and being kept on your toes, this isn't the place for you. The collaborative work culture is awesome - every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise. Great mission, too! Other perks: catered lunches, weekly massages, semi-annual "Innovation Days," generous PTO policy, can bring your dog to the office, etc...

Cons

There have been a number of re-orgs lately (read: management shifts), which have been awkward. All signs point to things improving soon, though.

Glad to be an Oployee

I have been working at Opower

Pros

Very intelligent, driven co-workers
    Senior management is very friendly and receptive to ideas
    Most employees are highly engaged with the Company's mission
    Dog-friendly workplace
    Cool downtown location in a historic building in downtown SF (but moving to a bigger, better space soon)

Cons

Everyone's main complaint is the lack of a 401k match. (Management is aware and has addressed this head-on, so my guess is that it'll be added some day.)

Get to the 401k match sooner, not later.
    Continue the path on management development for managers.
    Continue to hire smart people!

Owesome place to work!

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

- Great perks including weekly massages, catered lunches, casual dress and dogs in the office!
    - The employee population is really smart and passionate about that mission of the company
    - Growing company so get exposure to all different parts of the business and have the ability to make the most of your career growth
    - The company is at a good size which gives you the ability to bring in best practices and make changes for a more efficient work place
    - Try work hard / play environment

Cons

- No 401K match
    - Hours can be long but your hard work is rewarded

Opower is a Slam Dunk

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opower truly is a great place to work. We have dogs in the office, food that is stocked everyday in the kitchen, massages onsite once a week, happy hours, and we get to work around some of the smartest people in the DC area. Generous equity and PTO. Plus we get off for a "winter break" it's like being in college all over again! The work is challenging, and if you are not challenged, there is always more work to be done. Another thing that I personally love is the people. People here are willing to lend you their knowledge if they have worked here for a while, and you have questions. Overall, I think it is an awesome place to work in the DC area and the best place I have worked for in my career.

Cons

- no 401k match
    - priorities change often