Opower Reviews

Reset
4.2
Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • Opower is a great place to learn how to work with different kinds of super-smart people all while working for a noble cause (in 11 reviews)

• Great company culture that has been maintained as the company has grown (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge (in 9 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 6 reviews)

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

- meaningful and high-impact mission - great well-lit office with open floor plan - excellent benefits & vacation - lots of free food & fun activities - coworkers are smart and friendly - nice equipment for engineers (top of the line MBP with 3 monitors, standing desk, ergo KB/mouse) - excellent work/life balance with freedom to work from home (though you won't want to)

Cons

- software is a bit hacky and not truly SaaS - lot of office politics and too many meetings about meetings - overly focused on process improvement - too much reorganization - typical growing pains of startup

Advice to Management

Talk less and do more.

Lots of fun....but poor leadership

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun place to work; free lunch; great, smart people

Cons

This was the first job for most of the folks that were executives and that shines through when dealing with a lot of issues. Want to play with the big boys in the SaaS world, but leadership wants to be involved in every single decision- process slows down- too much focus on fun and being cool and not enough work actually being done.

Advice to Management

Lead from the front and not with an iron fist... don't only promote people when they put in their notice. Would be excellent to see some women in leadership roles to break up the good ol' boys club.

3. Contractor

Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

Pros

Great work values & mission. Awesome people that inspire and motivate. Perfect balance between start up culture and effective infrastructure.

Cons

Need more of an international presence.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Great Place to Work - People, Mission, Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Comfortable and encouraging work environment with a great team of people. Very smart and passionate employees who care about each other and the companies success. Its a fun place to work, and offers a ton of opportunity to learn and develop in areas of your interests. Has a sense of team effort to continuing to grow the company and generate results.

Cons

No 401k match Salary could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing.

Fun place to work, but market and product seem limited in growth.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are great to work with. The focus on energy efficiency is important

Cons

Growth is slowing and product seems to be a little stale.

Advice to Management

Focus on Energy Efficiency first.

Unsustainable growth. Too many cooks.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting space. Product is unique. Lots of smart people. Decent culture.

Cons

The company sells itself on it's double bottom line, but it seems more and more propaganda like than anything else. There are cliques in the company and if you happen to be in the right one, you get ahead. If not, too bad. They hire smart people but in an attempt to "preserve" the culture, end up hiring too many type As so nothing gets done. There isn't a clear sense of ownership of tasks and things get done as there are good people who will work 90 hours a week to get things done. Chaotic environment and dissatisfied clients who complain about every little thing.

Advice to Management

Now that you have gone public, you need to figure out a sustainable growth strategy so the stock doesn't tank (It's down 70% from the IPO price at the time of writing this review. Also, operations can use fewer thinkers and more do-ers to make that department run better. Establish clear ownership structures and an propagate a better understanding of the client mentality if you want to keep renewing contracts.

Mar 24, 2015 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving us a review and offering a different perspective. I’ll be sure to pass your concerns to company leaders, the recruiting team, and HR business partners. We agree it’s important to ... More

Opower is great for interns!

Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA
    Current Intern - IT in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Opower as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly work environment, smart people everywhere, cute puppies, free food, lots of activities and a lot of room to grow. You can learn a lot from people who are always willing to be helpful and collaborative. My team is amazing and I really enjoy helping others through my work here. Even as an intern, I have just as much responsibility on my shoulders as the rest of my team and serve a very important role. I also like that my work is appreciated and that I am pushed to bring ideas and help make this place better even though I'm "just an intern". Thanks for providing a great hands on internship!

Cons

Honestly I don't have anything bad to say about Opower.

Advice to Management

Keep being encouraging and great role models for interns.

Mar 24, 2015 – Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to Opower and the Ossociates program! Thanks for such a great review.

Some good, some bad

I worked at Opower full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, generally engaged co-workers Opportunities for mentorship and learning from some of the best Unique company at the intersection of energy and technology Outside brand recognition and interest in company Contrary to what others say, good work/life balance compared with consulting/banking, probably bad when compared with working a more general "industry" role

Cons

Increasingly confused mission, value proposition of original energy efficiency product was direct and marketable, but increasing forays into broader aspects of utility operations have less clear value proposition from the outside and are problematically moving the company away from its pure play roots and focus on double bottom line Frustratingly, there's also a pervasive thread of elitism in the organization, which manifests itself in management seeming ignorant of significant problems with employee satisfaction and the company's product/mission (not sure if this is purposeful of not). This needs to change! There's also a huge amount of pressure on middle managers and lower level employees to deliver value through improving products and thinking of new products to design, build, and sell. However, there's so much pressure that some pretty shaky ideas move up through the organization, while the tenuous nature of these ideas is hidden behind powerpoint slides and other charades. Finally, compensation and perks are just not satisfactory. Many employees complain of taking a big compensation hit when they moved to Opower. While this may have been okay in the early days when the company had start up value and a sole double bottom line mission, now that it's an established company and the equity isn't doing all that great, compensation needs to be commensurate with the caliber of people Opower is trying to hire.

Advice to Management

Own up to what's going wrong with this company, show humility, and fix it. There's a lot of value to be had with all the client relationships, data, and products, but think deeply about what the industry needs and don't try to sell snake oil. The original ee product had clear, tangible value proposition. You have a behavioral design hammer that worked at least once, but the company needs to be more flexible than applying this hammer to every problem. You have the brand recognition, and breadth and diversity of talent to pursue many paths to growth in this industry. I'm really excited about what this company can accomplish, but there has to be change.

If you care about the mission, think twice about Opower

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Opower attracts a lot of bright, interesting employees. I enjoy the conversations I have with colleagues when I'm at work, and the office environment makes it easy to personalize your workplace experience (e.g., accommodations for bicycle commuters, dogs in the office, complimentary snacks, gym in the building).

Cons

Opower is shifting away from a double bottom line company. They are trending towards a company that supports utility companies in more ways than one, such as billing, it makes the daily work less and less rewarding. They frequently sell things that we as a company don't support, and then push all of the work onto teams that get compensated the least. Resources are weighted towards engineering and product teams, and teams that provide a lot of client services often aren't recognized for their work. It takes 3 months for the company to turn around performance reviews, which cuts into their efficacy. There are no clear career trajectories, and the lack of female role models in higher level positions is alarming. The ratio of men to women receiving promotions each performance review cycle is unsettling.

Advice to Management

Treat all of your employees equally, including non-technical folks.

Opower Response

Mar 11, 2015 – SVP, People (Sandy Hynes)

Thanks for the review and letting us know what's on your mind. We’re sorry to hear you're concerned we’re shifting away from being a double bottom line company, as that is not the case. Over the last ... More

Fast paced cloud company with a real mission

I have been working at Opower full-time

Pros

Great place to both learn and implement the things one already knows. Young people get a chance to tackle complex issues in ways I have not seen before. The culture is strong and vibrant with a real sense of purpose. Closest thing to SF in DC...

Cons

With the fast pace, you often find yourself working at that speed, which is great because you get to see things happening right in front of you. It does pose a time challenge every now and again, though.

Advice to Management

Continue with the radical transparency also after having gone public.

Mar 11, 2015 – Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review! Happy to hear you're having a great experience.

RSS Feed </> Embed