OppSource

Updated February 21, 2015
4.1

Dan Metzger

Great entrepreneurial work environment

I have been working at OppSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company where the pace is fast and where you get to wear lots of hats. So many great things are happening and a great group of employees who care deeply about our clients. If you want a work environment where you can make a difference and grow your career, this is a nice place to work.

Cons

Management has too much patience with bad contractors and employees. The bad apples tend to spoil the morale of us good employees. the too long.

As we grow, focus on hiring employees with positive attitudes, smart, strong work ethic and who are a cultural fit.

Started great, went downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at OppSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of potential to do some great things. Big ideas, great background from the founders, plenty of sales opportunity in a diverse Minneapolis market.

Cons

The leadership is very difficult to navigate. The three founders do not always agree and decisions can be reversed as quickly as they are made. The two halves of the company are very separate and it's difficult to feel like you're a part of a solid team. Communication is lacking almost entirely.

A Great Place To Work

I have been working at OppSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some of the former employees who have left seem to want to vent their frustrations by abusing the anonymous nature of this site's reviews. The truth of the matter is that most of the issues they complain about seem to have disappeared since they've left the company. Maybe that is just coincidence, maybe they were part of the problem. In either case, I find this company a wonderful place to work where anyone can step up, make a difference and get recognized for it.

Cons

Small company where everyone knows everyone's business. If you don't like a small companies where sometimes you wear lots of hats, have lots of change, and sometimes have lots of work to do -- you should probably avoid this company.

Keep searching for and hiring talented people and focus on making sure they all know how and when to row.

Lack of communication

I have been working at OppSource full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was nice considering the level of experience I had when I first started with the company. Very close team in my department. I enjoyed the people on my team. It was sad to see so many go, yet happy they moved on to a better place.

Cons

No communication what so ever with upper management, even after a special meeting was held to tell us there would be more communication and openness. Constant blame for failure put on one department of the company when there was very little knowledge of that department's interactions from those placing the blame. This created a lack of vision for company goals and in the end loss of motivation as well. Clear separation between call center and the rest of the company. For a company of only about 25 employees I find it very sad that you could pass someone in the hall and they could barely make eye contact with you if you were from another department.

Become more in tune with what is going on within the "whole" company. Stop playing favorites because it is blinding you.

Disgruntled former employee always seem to abuse Glassdoor

I have been working at OppSource

Pros

Startup atmosphere that is fast paced, challenging and fun! Very collaborative environment and opportunity to learn across a range of marketing and technology disciplines.

Cons

Same as all other growing small companies - balancing resources against pace of growth.

Stay focused on what you do very well and continue to work on putting talented people in key positions.

Difficult situation sadly

Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Team Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at OppSource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have smart people that have industry experience and decent vacation package.

Cons

I agree with the former employees reviews from a few years back. Unfortunately things have gotten worse. Back then it sounded like clients would stay for a year and now it's down to six months on average. I was a top performer but let go due to a major client leaving, which also resulted in three other being laid off at the same time. There is a major disconnect between managers and employees. Sadly I don't see this company staying afloat for too long.

Please please keep managers for more than 3 months and focus better on client needs. Constant turnover is hurting this business that could have been a good one.

OppSource is positioned to do well in their industry. I Enjoyed the small company culture and expert leadership.

Former Employee - Senior Business Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Business Executive

I worked at OppSource full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There was a lot to be learned from the management.

Cons

The cons are not really specific to this company. They are the cons of any sales/agency environment. Sometimes the client is most important. You just accept that and do what it takes to do what's best for your clients.

Excellent Company Culture-Start Up

Former Employee - Demand Creation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Demand Creation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at OppSource full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Leadership listened to my ideas and implemented some of them. I respected their experience and direction. I felt the company was headed for growth.

Cons

Can take over a year to move out of the call center role. I would say it is worth the wait if you're patient. Start Up feel leaves many opportunities for advancement.

Get rid of problem clients.

Fast paced - High Energy - Fun workplace

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at OppSource

Pros

We get to share our ideas, we are recognized for our contributions, and it is a fun place to work. We do have some tough assignments but are given resources and support to achieve our objectives. Our President calls us together every Monday morning to recognize a huge contributor for the past week, give an update on the week ahead, and provide a forum for sharing ideas.

Cons

It is a small business and your work (or lack thereof) is highly visible. It is no place to work if you expect to just "hang out" and not work hard.

Keep selling more deals so we can keep on growing. I love my job!

Not Sure, But Might Be Best Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at OppSource

Pros

We are a small nit team albeit growing quickly, that is very passionate about what we do. We are all here to make a difference and we enjoy the challenge of helping our clients grow.

Cons

As a small company, we have to wear lots of hats sometimes.

Keep up the great work! We love it here.