Oppenheimer Holdings

Be The First To
Add Photos

Oppenheimer Holdings Chairman and CEO Albert G. Lowenthal

Albert G. Lowenthal

Pros
  • 9-5 hours, easy work, good people(non-mangement)(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management, poor pay, no room to grow or to advance your career(in 4 reviews)

• Stingy benefit package: no 401k matching, very few vacation days, no tuition reimbursement, etc(in 3 reviews)

Good if one is not ambitious

ProsOverall there are not a lot of turnovers in the accounting dept.

ConsNo room for growth. They do not pay as competitors.

Good stepping-stone for career in equity research

Equity Research Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood place to work at if you choose the right Senior Analyst to work for.

ConsToo much politics. They treat "old" employees much better than new comers.

Great place to intern with great opportunities to learn the business of many different departments.

Options Trading Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- allowed to reach out to senior level management across all departments
    - weekly meetings headed by different department managers to teach and answer questions

Cons- once you get the assigned intern role you're stuck in it so be sure to apply for a position you want

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it was an opportunity of much learning.

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsStable firm to work many years for.

ConsGrowth can take many years as many people do not leave the firm.

Good Experience, So-So Environment

ProsA great experience working with high-level Executives and Legal Counsel.

ConsOut of pocket costs for benefits increased fourfold in just as many years - and not one salary increase (cost of living or otherwise) in this period of time. Making less when you leave than when you started seems counter-productive, no?

One you figure things out is is a good place to work.

Sales (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBroad scope of products to offer.

ConsVery much on your own. Difficult to locate necessary resources when first hired. No guidence.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't assume everything is simple. An hour or two of system training will save a lot of time down the road. Nothing is worse than not knowing and not knowing how and where to find something.

Nice work environment

Registered Client Service Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople are really nice and have lots of experience. Flexable schedule

ConsLow pay, so so benefits

Sales Associate

Registered Client Sales Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIf you work with a large production team, life will be great in the big city.

ConsManagement - get everything in writing and document as much as possible. Check FINRA broker check website for background on employees and firm complaints.

Worst work-related experience of my entire life.

Summer Analyst - IBD (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsI can honestly think of nothing. Work at any other bank and you will most likely be able to say something in this section.

ConsAs a former intern in the Investment Banking Division, I can honestly say this is the worst run company I have every worked for. There is 0 morale, the analysts will tell how much you don't want to work there, the culture is extremely abrasive, the brand is not at all respected, everyone is looking out for themselves and care only about themselves. I would not recommend this bank to anyone unless they enjoy being treated like crap and having work pawned off on them by the more senior analysts so that you have to stay until 3 AM every night and they can go home at 6 PM. I would take literally any internship/job offer from ANY bank over one with Oppenheimer. I have yet to talk to a single person who has worked for this bank in the Investment Banking Division who is not trying to leave at all costs and resents ever working for Oppenheimer. I have never in my entire life worked a job where I was treated with less respect, and worked for someone who cared less about their employees than Oppenheimer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo Wall Street and the world a favor and just close your doors.

I was only there for 6 months, then my group got canned.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood people, great teamwork. People were very helpful for someone just starting to work there.

ConsTechnology was awful and capabilities were out of date.

Worked for Oppenheimer Holdings? Contribute to the Community!