OppenheimerFunds

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
3.5

Arthur P. Steinmetz

Pros
  • work life balance unless you are in a group that requires being on call (in 23 reviews)

• Great benefits and an extremely fun working environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance, personal growth, busy culture (in 6 reviews)

• There are absolutely no career advancement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work in the tech arena

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and bonus structure. Opportunities for self motivated abound

Cons

The amount of overtime was challenging. They would rather have their employees work 50-60+ hours on a regular basis than hire additional staff. There is not a lot of opportunities for advancement because of how long people stay with the company

none

Intern Review

Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Awesome intern activities with speakers
    -Flexible hours, could work when I wanted
    -Assigned various projects with enough help to succeed
    -Supervisors very helpful in teaching new skills

Cons

-Department assigned to was not my favorite

-Allow interns to work for all departments with small projects

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - 529 Specialized Service Associate in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - 529 Specialized Service Associate in Aurora, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

I worked here almost 5 years and left because I moved. I can honestly say I miss working there. The people I worked with were great. There are great opportunities for advancement within the company. Benefits are great. Pay was good and vacation time given was also good. It is a place that really values their people and it shows.

Cons

Knowing when you are allowed to question a policy etc without being looked down upon.

The only advice I would have is to allow those who are not in management positions to have more of a voice. I had a few managers I worked for that did not like when you challenged the normal routine or policies... however the last manager I had did a great job at allowing new ideas.

Good company, smart people

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

OppenheimerFunds is a great place to work for smart, self-starter. The people here are smart, friendly, and there is little enough bureaucracy that work and ideas move faster than at larger financial services companies. People are approachable willing to try out your recommendations. There is good focus on development. Performance Management is done well.

Cons

Because it is small and flat, there is limited upward mobility. Opportunities for promotion can be limited. This is a place to stay for 3-5 years, get great experience and then see what is next (are all places like this these days?). It is a somewhat competitive environment. Management skills vary. This is a place for someone who is confident and self-directed, there isn't patience for people who want hand holding.

Improve benefits for working mothers (current policy is not competitive in NY). Be willing to help clarify roles and responsibilities (who owns what? what do you want from whom?) It can be painful and unproductive to just let people work it out amongst themselves.

Lead QA analyst

Current Employee - Lead QA Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead QA Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great working environment, friendly people, well work and life balance. You can have longevity of career here and find internal opportunities

Cons

It may takes a while to climb the cooperate ladder. Most team structure is flat. They aren't many promotion opportunities

Sr.Quality Analyst

I worked at OppenheimerFunds full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Responsible for software quality assurance and testing in a wide variety of projects and environments. Integrated knowledge and working experience with test planning, test execution and test results analysis based onBusiness Requirements.

Cons

You must enter at least 5 words for Cons

Overall positive experience, but limited growth options

Former Employee - Fund Accounting Analyst in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Fund Accounting Analyst in Centennial, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

Team environment and pretty good work/life balance, especially for a financial services firm. Highly focused on training and constant improvement. Reward based on merit, not seniority. Aimed at doing "the right thing" on a regular basis, no cutting corners or poor performance issues.

Cons

Lots of competition for promotions, with limited availability. The top concern is the bottom line; if the company is better off by cutting your job, they won't hesitate to do that.

Best company I have worked for in my career

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

- Stable company with established reputation, strong core values and mission
    - Generous total compensation package (salary and bonus are competitive, good vacation policy, benefits, etc.)
    - Part of a supportive team with a great manager and director
    - Opportunities for growth & development
    - Senior management communicates to employee population

Cons

- Very few cons - Denver campus could improve (although recent renovations are impressive) - cafeteria and fitness facility leave a lot to be desired.

No growth opportunities and worst management!

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

Good work life balance other than when you are on call.

Cons

Almost no career opportunities, non-existent training, terrible technology infrastructure, and overly bureaucratic. Unimaginative senior management that is always reacting to competition. Bloated middle management while under investing in products, services, and line employees that actually drive revenues. Management has no clue what they are doing and absolutely no leadership qualities. Worst tech department and I haven't seen HR live so lavishly in any other organization.

Upgrade your tech and bring your business processes and products into the 21st century.

Continue to look if you are wanting a career/job in the financial industry.

I worked at OppenheimerFunds full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer ample time off, profit sharing, 401k, medical, dental and other benefits.

Cons

The company prides themselves on integrity of which they have little. The company is run off of politics and not performance. Morale boosters and change will be put in place and followed by management for a brief time so things go back to the way they were. Front line management is not given the credit they deserve, they are overworked and under paid. Upper management would rather talk behind peoples backs than speak to them like adults and offer constructive criticism. If you like doing things as it has been written for the past 40 years than this is the company for you, just try not to look for improvements in processes or guidelines or this will be frowned upon.

Listen to people's ideas and form your own opinions. Don't take one persons opinion as gospel. When it comes to training individuals for management give them tools that will help them succeed and don't just throw them to the wolves. I have learned over many years that the littlest amount of praise goes a long way. Don't give praise or even constructive criticism via email, take the time to show an employee that the are human beings and not just machines. You would be surprised how much a handwritten note means to someone. Take the time to hire the right individuals for the future, not just the bandage to cover up the immediate damage. Your front line employees are your best asset, get their input on ideas and improvements you would be surprised the amount of great ideas that are out there. Last, but definitely not least, respect others and they will respect you.