OppenheimerFunds Reviews

Reset

1. Assistant Supervisor

Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Supervisor in Centennial, CO

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Very collaborative environment. Lots of room to move up or laterally. Great organizational development department with lots of great trainings.

Cons

Starting pay is below average. Compensation philosophy is to provide great benefits and opportunity for bonuses and profit sharing, but with low base pay. Great for a good year, but falls short in low performing years.

Advice to Management

If base pay were increased for people coming in the door OppenheimerFunds would hold on to more top talent.

2. A bit of old school still.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Centennial, CO

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

The entire benefits package is competitive and I can really steer my work in a lot of different directions.

Cons

There are security issues, so I'm unable to maintain Slack and I have to use company computers. I don't have the flexibility to use sandbox the entire internet when the need arises.

Advice to Management

Think about embracing the idea that programming is more of a type like art or music composition. Work environments should support and nurture this type.

3. Great place to work in the tech arena

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and bonus structure. Opportunities for self motivated abound

Cons

The amount of overtime was challenging. They would rather have their employees work 50-60+ hours on a regular basis than hire additional staff. There is not a lot of opportunities for advancement because of how long people stay with the company

Advice to Management

none

Not an IT friendly company. Not a good place to learn technology or grow your IT career.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

Stable company with OK compensation, although bonuses went down around 2007, long-timers still enjoy higher bonuses. Decent location in South Denver.
    I am surprised to see many good reviews from business side of the company, hopefully they are doing better than IT.

Cons

Extremely political and bureaucratic company. Management is not interested in employees opinions and ideas.

IT organization is dysfunctional due to bloated and bureaucratic middle management, who is always ready to blame their staff for anything. Upper management has no interest in developing healthy IT organization. There is no direction or vision for IT, there is no established SDLC, no service level agreements between departments. The IT looks like several disparate departments working towards their own goals. New ideas are normally shut down by management.

There are no real cross-functional teams, which prevents healthy SDLC and professional growth.
    Project Management Organization is in direct conflict with IT interests (systems quality, reliability, maintainability etc) and provide zero value for IT projects because they do not report to IT . PMO is strictly date-driven and do not care about technology and proper approach.

Low quality software deployed to production necessitates constant 24/7 production support. Management considers this normal and is not willing to dedicate time and projects to fix/upgrade/replace failing systems. The company does not compensate for long sleepless nights or weekend work.
    Work-life balance is terrible.

Critical software systems run on 10-15 year old technology. Infrastructure is outdated. Working environment was remodeled over the past several years and now it is an "open plan" type with 4-6 employees per single desk inside large glass-enclosed areas and no cubicles. This does not promote deep thinking or concentration for software developers or any other IT professionals.

HR is useless and is only there to protect upper management.
    No career opportunities. Impossible to move across departments because management is afraid to disappoint its peers.

Advice to Management

I am not positive that OppenheimerFunds needs or wants to be up to date with their software systems and infrastructure or have relatively agile IT organization, and therefore this may explain the current state of IT. However, if upper management wants to bring IT into 21st century, then they need to start with creating a vision for IT organization, which appeals to employees and makes sense to business partners.
    Then follow with hiring/placing smart leaders into key positions and giving them mandate to establish and maintain proper business processes (SDLC, SLA etc) and relationships instead of having to play politics and bureaucracy games. Open up dialog with your employees - trust us: your engineers know better how to get you where you need to go.

Good company, smart people

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

OppenheimerFunds is a great place to work for smart, self-starter. The people here are smart, friendly, and there is little enough bureaucracy that work and ideas move faster than at larger financial services companies. People are approachable willing to try out your recommendations. There is good focus on development. Performance Management is done well.

Cons

Because it is small and flat, there is limited upward mobility. Opportunities for promotion can be limited. This is a place to stay for 3-5 years, get great experience and then see what is next (are all places like this these days?). It is a somewhat competitive environment. Management skills vary. This is a place for someone who is confident and self-directed, there isn't patience for people who want hand holding.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits for working mothers (current policy is not competitive in NY). Be willing to help clarify roles and responsibilities (who owns what? what do you want from whom?) It can be painful and unproductive to just let people work it out amongst themselves.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - 529 Specialized Service Associate in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - 529 Specialized Service Associate in Aurora, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

I worked here almost 5 years and left because I moved. I can honestly say I miss working there. The people I worked with were great. There are great opportunities for advancement within the company. Benefits are great. Pay was good and vacation time given was also good. It is a place that really values their people and it shows.

Cons

Knowing when you are allowed to question a policy etc without being looked down upon.

Advice to Management

The only advice I would have is to allow those who are not in management positions to have more of a voice. I had a few managers I worked for that did not like when you challenged the normal routine or policies... however the last manager I had did a great job at allowing new ideas.

8. Sr.Quality Analyst

I worked at OppenheimerFunds full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Responsible for software quality assurance and testing in a wide variety of projects and environments. Integrated knowledge and working experience with test planning, test execution and test results analysis based onBusiness Requirements.

Cons

You must enter at least 5 words for Cons

9. Overall positive experience, but limited growth options

Former Employee - Fund Accounting Analyst in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Fund Accounting Analyst in Centennial, CO

I worked at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

Team environment and pretty good work/life balance, especially for a financial services firm. Highly focused on training and constant improvement. Reward based on merit, not seniority. Aimed at doing "the right thing" on a regular basis, no cutting corners or poor performance issues.

Cons

Lots of competition for promotions, with limited availability. The top concern is the bottom line; if the company is better off by cutting your job, they won't hesitate to do that.

10. Best company I have worked for in my career

I have been working at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

- Stable company with established reputation, strong core values and mission
    - Generous total compensation package (salary and bonus are competitive, good vacation policy, benefits, etc.)
    - Part of a supportive team with a great manager and director
    - Opportunities for growth & development
    - Senior management communicates to employee population

Cons

- Very few cons - Denver campus could improve (although recent renovations are impressive) - cafeteria and fitness facility leave a lot to be desired.

No growth opportunities and worst management!

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at OppenheimerFunds

Pros

Good work life balance other than when you are on call.

Cons

Almost no career opportunities, non-existent training, terrible technology infrastructure, and overly bureaucratic. Unimaginative senior management that is always reacting to competition. Bloated middle management while under investing in products, services, and line employees that actually drive revenues. Management has no clue what they are doing and absolutely no leadership qualities. Worst tech department and I haven't seen HR live so lavishly in any other organization.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your tech and bring your business processes and products into the 21st century.

RSS Feed </> Embed