Opportunity International

2.9

Vicki B Escarra

Intern

I have been working at Opportunity International

Pros

Even though I was an intern at Opportunity International everyone treated me with the respect you would give to a full-time employee.

Cons

The amount of research, while necessary for the company, became redundant and boring.

Three years working for Opportunity International

I worked at Opportunity International

Pros

Great mission, great people. Opportunity is a very visionary organization that is always seeking to improve the work they do.

Cons

Not clear path for professional growth within the organization. HQ office tends to lack technical expertise and doesn't attract top leaders in the field of economic development.

Used to be good, new CEO has nearly ruined the organization

I worked at Opportunity International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great long term staff (those that are still around), wonderful work overseas, strong Christian focus in many of the field offices; strong volunteer leadership at the board level.

Cons

New CEO tried to do too much to fast and change the culture drastically; monumental mistakes occurred in many areas at her direction. New leaders bullied a lot of good people.
    Blew a lot of money out of the gates and then fired a bunch of people because there was no money left. Upper management pretends to be Christian and aren't to say the least.

It's too late for that. They don't listen.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great vision and mission

Former Employee - Regional Director  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Director in San Jose, CA

I worked at Opportunity International

Pros

Great vision and mission - helping the poorest of the poor get financing to start their own businesses and thus have meaningful productive work.
    Great colleague, committed, thoughtful, fun, hardworking.

Cons

Unrealistic quotas, lack of communication from overseas.

Very bad time to be at this company

I worked at Opportunity International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Solid vision and mission. Company is doing good things in Africa. Many good people who want to make a positive impact on the world.

Cons

Current CEO and new team members have had serious negative impact on the organization, especially the U.S. headquarters. Have made sweeping changes to the company at great cost. High stress and low morale in much of the company. Corporate culture has taken a big turn for the worse. There is a general lack of confidence in senior leadership.

Intern experience-absolutely awful

Former Employee - Business Development Intern  in  Shuyang, Jiangsu (China)
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Shuyang, Jiangsu (China)

I worked at Opportunity International as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The company declares itself as a nonprofit and has very effective people in the main leadership positions and has locations all over the world.

Cons

The local management is terrible. The job description and interviews are highly misleading, down to lying about what interns role was and what the company was paying for. High cultural barriers in the China branch and no one is available to speak English. After completing all work for the week and planning a short trip which would mean leaving early on Friday, they threatened to fire me from a position which I was not being paid for and which actually cost a thousands of dollars of my own money, after finishing a project that would have otherwise cost them hundreds of dollars. When trying to reason with them and explaining there was no more work to be done, they told me to quit and to be out of the apartment in the next few hours.

Gain a better understanding for the interns coming into the company. Be clear about the job and not misleading until it is too late. Live up to the agreed contract. Know the actual goings on in local offices.

Worked for Opportunity International? Contribute to the Community!