Opportunity Partners

Updated September 27, 2014
Updated September 27, 2014
2.9

Armanda Camacho

Opportunity Partners is a great organization, mission focused and cares about its staff

I have been working at Opportunity Partners full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is wonderful to work for an organization that is making a difference in the lives of people with disabilities. The company has made many improvements in terms of leadership, staff development, communications and culture.

Cons

The pay is not great, but not surprising since this is a nonprofit organization. The company has tried hard to advocate at the legislature for higher wages and we did all get 5% raises July 2014 as a result of a rate increase by the state.

Our new CEO is moving us in the right direction by focusing on people, enhancing the culture, listening to staff and people served, and making improvements one step at a time. Keep this up and staff will be less likely to leave. Pay will always be an issue but keep trying to work on this so staff don't leave for higher paying jobs elsewhere.

Great mission, but management is dysfunctional and company morale is low

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Opportunity Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company's mission is great.

Cons

Leadership is lacking and dysfunctional. Pay is low compared to similar companies. Overall company morale is very low. There has been a ton of change in upper-management the last few years due to various reasons and there is a huge divide culturally between different locations. Also, internal communications is very poor.

Increase internal communications and work on overall company morale. Staff need to feel appreciated to stick around. We definitely do not get the pay, so we must feel appreciated and we must be given opportunity to grow within our roles and the company.

Where are we going?

I have been working at Opportunity Partners

Pros

People we serve are the reason to stay. There are good people and managers here that work hard.

Cons

Lately is been all about billing and getting reimbursed sure to funding changes at the State. I don't know what the big picture is outside of getting revenue stabilized.

Identify the hard workers and do everything you can to nurture and train them. Communicate what's going on directly with staff and don't just let it trickle through management.

Good to build experience but not a career

I have been working at Opportunity Partners

Pros

Very mission focused and staff are very friendly. Leading the way with a lot of new programs and willing to experiment with new ways of delivering services.

Cons

Limited advancement options, they will go external for positions higher than supervisor and little build up of future leaders. Will often promise then not deliver such as promising a 401B match depending on the end of year budget then blaming workman's comp on why they can't . More emphasis on the people served than on the staff.

Need to develop the internal leaders rather than going outside.

Opportunity Partners is a Non-Profit with a Meaningful MIssion & Dedicated People

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Opportunity Partners as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The work done at OP for their clients is outstanding and they are a very caring team with some outstanding leaders and contributors.

Cons

As with all non-profits, there are those who are there because they believe in non-profits -- not because they are really believing in OP's mission.

At times, it's useful to bring in those who are not career non-profit people to help re-assert the need to be "customer driven". For those senior managers who are open to change and willing to lead change, my advice would be to strongly continue to encourage them and to compensate them and recognize them accordingly.

Stagnant, fake, and unreliable.

I worked at Opportunity Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Some what flexible with your schedule or a very predictable schedule.
    - Health Partners benefits

Cons

- No chances for movement within the company unless you "fit" in.
    - No vision other than making money, if you have passion for people with disabilities, do not work here.
    - 2 years of dedication and no raise in the near future
    -Low pay, for a job one supervises people with disabilities.
    - Management cuts because of the "lack of budget" but since their budget has to be public, they are not in the negative.
    - Previous CEO George Klause, up and left expectantly. Since then many upper, upper management who had developed and supported the vision at OP have left, leaving money hungry "business" orientated people who are not making a humanities non-profit into a LLC.

None, since they cannot make changes anyway, but I would not cut the biggest departments management, give them a smaller space to work in, and take away raises because of "workmen's comp".

Close down OP

I have been working at Opportunity Partners

Pros

Few staff are nice and it's a very good site

Cons

Pay by the percentage of what the client do very unfair very rude service planners Service planners if you have one they don't do very well try to help you out finding a job outside of OP

Fire service planners and hiring new service planners

I have been working at Opportunity Partners full-time

Pros

humor of people served on a daily basis

Cons

logistics of program, managers, zero professional development, no connection to executives or upper management

Great Mission and People

Current Employee - Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Opportunity Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful mission, committed passionate employees, solid business plan

Cons

Funding is based on the state legislature and needs to be increased

Keep looking for more ways to be efficient and stretch our funding as far as possible

It's good; the department treats me well and I love the job I'm doing.

Current Employee - Semi-Independent Living Skills Specialist in Coon Rapids, MN
    Current Employee - Semi-Independent Living Skills Specialist in Coon Rapids, MN

I have been working at Opportunity Partners full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm working to help people who are in need of semi-independent living services. For some people, I'm helping them to learn how to balance their checking account. For others, I'm helping them find a job. For others, I'm helping to find medical treatment or apply for Medical Assistance. It's rewarding in the sense that I'm making first-hand changes to people's lives.

Cons

As a non-profit company, there are few merit-based rewards and wage increases.

Try to cut down on the turnover... And the lowest-paid employee should rightfully be earning no less than a 33% of the top executives.