Opportunity Village

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Severtson

I was able to get job training quickly when I moved here.

Custodial Services (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsYou get paid training which helps when you have to travel by bus, they help with ANY concerns, and have LOTS of activities to engage in like Magical forest & UNLVino events.

ConsVery limited areas for work. Only custodial jobs are job connected. I wanted to go into culinary but no training was available at the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they can open culinary training for those who want to try to expand in their job training or cross training it would be great as I have cooking & baking skills.

Changes need to be made..

Personal Support Professional (Current Employee) Clear Lake, IA

ProsThe relationship you build with the clients is excellent and inspiring.

ConsUpper management seems uninterested in new ideas. Morale is low. You aren't compensated nearly what you should be (OV knows this, as well). Most supervisors have proven they aren't qualified for their jobs. Same supervisors preach/push relational skills but then lack severely when it comes time for them to display them to clients and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your support professionals with more DIGNITY and RESPECT. We're the pillars of this facility. Have supervisors work on their relational skills and make sure they're doing their jobs correctly and that they have the proper training. Push consistency with supervisors and PSPs in cottage life and at the KLC.

Opportunity Village has lost its way...

Persona Assistant (Current Employee) Clear Lake, IA

ProsHere you are given the opportunity to support persons with developmental disabilities. The clients really need honest, caring staff who are willing and able to help them improve their daily living skills.

ConsIt can be a rewarding experience for staff willing to endure the stifling management which seems to be ever-diligent to punish you for seemingly minor "offences" and rarely rewards the staff for a good job.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of constantly stifling new ideas, be open to and actually consider the ideas of new staff. It seems that in Opportunity Village, there is a "core" of "old-timers" who are now in their leadership positions not based upon merit or training or background, but simply because they have put in the time at the Village. This has resulted in the Village remaining stagnant and backward-looking ( remember the "good old days? ) instead of vibrant and cutting edge. The clients deserve MUCH more than they are getting. Oh, there is SO MUCH more the Village could be doing to provide excellent services to our clients, but too many upper management are either incapable or unwilling to change enough to allow the Village to evolve and grow.

Worked for Opportunity Village? Contribute to the Community!