Optaros Reviews in Austin, TX

3.8

Optaros President & CEO Robert Willms
Robert Willms

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great place for growth, learning

Current Employee - Associate User Experience Consultant  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate User Experience Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Optaros

Pros

sink-or-swim mentality mixed with healthy doses of support. tremendously fun culture, a small company vibe with the opportunity to work with the top of the Fortune 500. They value talent, smarts, creativity, development of skills. Interesting, challenging work. Encourage writing exceptional code. Client facing work came quickly to me, as a young person I can't think of anywhere I'd rather work in Austin.

Cons

Projects can start to get redundant (nature of the sales process) - may be on the same technologies for a while unless you push pretty hard to move on to something else. Communication from home base in Boston to the Austin office is sometimes a little difficult

Know what you want out of the job before you take the job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Optaros

Pros

Flexibility, lots of work travel (plus if you are young and single), heavy use of open source software specifically in CMS engagements (plone, alfresco, zope and php). Great place to build your chops if CMS is your thing.

Cons

Erratic leadership, focused more on short term bottom line revenue rather than long term customer satisfaction. I encountered integrity violation while on the job when it came to dealing with customers. They do have smart, seasoned and mature leadership but they seem to be out voted by the more "dodgy" ones. The dog that barks the loudest gets the most attention syndrome was present while I worked there. Also growing within the company seemed more of a popularity contest rather than mature business execution.

Try not to be flash in the pan and repeat Sapient. Maybe focus more on true differentiation and leadership when it comes to growing employees.

Optaros a great place to work

Current Employee - Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Optaros

Pros

The people you work with are great, everyone is really smart and willing to share their knowledge. The company focuses on implementing solutions using open source technologies which is something a big fan of. Senior management is always available if you have questions or suggestions. I really like the flat organizational structure. Also working with all the latest technologies is a big plus for me.

Cons

The benefits are alright but they could be better. It's a consulting company so there are times when there could be a ton of travel. This could be a positive or a negative for a lot of people. I like the travel, but if you have a family, pets etc. it could be a bad fit.

Try to maintain the small company culture as size of it continues to grow.

Worked for Optaros? Contribute to the Community!