Optaros

Nurture your connections

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boston, MA

I worked at Optaros full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to meet some smart people and make long lasting professional connections. Lots of people from the early company days moved on to start their own companies, so that speaks volumes about the caliber of people that join the company.

Cons

Can be staffed on projects you don't like for long periods of time. Company has changed directions and focus several times.

Pick a vision and go after it.

Company without a plan

Former Employee - Technical Developer
    Former Employee - Technical Developer

I worked at Optaros full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They've done a great job of building out a team of mostly intelligent and capable people, they've landed some big-name clients in the past, and the pay was OK. They do a pretty good job of being transparent inside the company. They will promote you fast.

Cons

Despite spending a lot of time on training and documentation around what the process for their projects should be, they end up re-inventing it with every project / every new hire. Some of the managers / directors are jerks just for the sake of being jerks. On several projects I was on the sales guys or project managers seemed to just, on their own, make up schedules and estimates for the project and expect us to hit them. They haven't really been very good at landing new clients lately; the clock is ticking on their main cash cow.

Focus on The Airport Test for hiring managers and make sure you'd actually want to spend 8 hours with them. This person will be the main point of contact for your staff and your clients, it's important they be likable and fair. You've lost some really great managers over the last year, people who really cared about their teams. Many of the managers who are left aren't really the sort of people the staff would ever want to have show up at a happy hour, and have reputations for throwing people under the bus if their projects starts to go sour. Managers should be human shields for their team, not slave drivers.

Lots of challenges, lots of opportunities

I have been working at Optaros full-time

Pros

Number one pro is great people, which has been true from the start. The company is also in a rapidly evolving market, which means fast-paced growth and lots of opportunities.

Cons

The growth also leads to wearing many hats (sometimes too many) and much of the team is stretched pretty thin. Executive team also struggles to be (and appear) aligned.

Find ways to align and lead better as a team. The company doesn't have to be a democracy but a unified message from leadership would go a long way.

Consultant

I worked at Optaros

Pros

Worked with awesome people smart, gifted people.

Cons

As a consultant you are expected to travel a lot and sometimes at a moments notice but you know this when you sign on.

Innovative work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, inspiring, innovative place to work

Cons

Sometimes requires wearing many hats

Optaros is a great company which really cares about its employees and does (mostly) pretty interesting work.

Current Employee - Technical Developer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office culture is amazing; everyone is extremely laid-back, interesting, and fun. Everyone is passionate about and highly engaged by the work that they are doing, and they collaborate constantly. The company is generous with salaries, time off, and other compensation. Plus, the company is very concerned about the happiness and careers of its employees, and continuously revises its career paths, policies, and processes to make role progression simple and effective.

Cons

Optaros is a consulting company so the work is not for everyone. Most of the projects focus on eCommerce, and the consequence is that the work can become repetitive. The future/vision of the company is somewhat ill-defined. It seems like the leadership has trouble finding itself.

Make it easier for individuals to do the work they need to do to get role progressions. If someone needs more client work, let them work with clients!

Great Company and Direction

I worked at Optaros

Pros

A great focus and client list. Plus really great people make this a great company to work for.

Cons

You need to enjoy the consultant lifestyle - travel, challenging projects, delivering when others could not.

It's 2014 Who are we now?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Optaros full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Location
    - Technology that is used for clients
    - Focus on commerce is smart

Cons

- Executive management is weak
    - Needs to attend to customer satisfaction

- Continue to hire subject matter experts to provide credibility to your brand

First job out of college and I absolutely love the amount of exposure and of projects from day one!

Current Employee - User Experience Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - User Experience Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Optaros full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture here at Optaros is really what keeps me around. Love the people and it really feels like you belong here. The amount of different types of work I've been doing since joining Optaros made me really feel like a contributing member of the team right out of college. They have challenged me to stretch myself beyond my current role since day one and have always kept an open ear to listen to me about what I want out of my career and how I would like to grow in the future. It really doesn't feel like I'm going to work every morning I wake up for work, which is something I would hope every company strives for.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges I feel happens here (in the Boston office at least) is the lack of mentorship on the technical side. There are plenty of opportunities to be client facing and work on your consulting skills, but as a developer it's hard to hone those technical skills at the same time without the proper mentorship.

My advice to management is to invest more time and energy in training for your developers internally in order to grow your team within just as much as you hire from outside to help fill those gaps in knowledge.

Moribund, and time to move on.

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Optaros full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee and lots of lunch opportunities.

Cons

Where to start? A company without direction and jaded management. They've gone from Open Source to Custom Implementation, and now to positioning themselves as eCommerce platform integrators.
    Lack direction much?