Optimizely

Optimizely Reviews

Updated May 31, 2014

Optimizely Co-Founder & CEO Dan Siroker

Dan Siroker

One of the "Best Places to Work." Period.

Director of Employee Happiness (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSan Francisco Business Times named Optimizely #1 among medium sized businesses for 2014, and for good reason.

Working at Optimizely is a true joy because everyone around you cares: about the work and customers, about the company and about each other. It's really incredible. We're not perfect. In fact we're growing fast and experience growing pains. But everyone wants to keep making this place better. It's so refreshing and encouraging. Optimism abounds here.

ConsYou have to keep up! This company is on track to make a dent in the universe in record time, so things move fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose sight of what makes this place special!

Incredible company with amazing people!

San Francisco, CA

ProsLove love LOVE working here! The culture is transparent, passionate, and fun. There's never a dull day at Optimizely. The perks are awesome (catering, benefits, Clipper card, gym membership), but I never feel pressured to sacrifice my work-life balance in exchange for them. We're given a high level of ownership over our roles.

ConsWe're going through some growing pains as we expand our team so rapidly in regards to processes and career development.

The BEST place to work!

San Francisco, CA

ProsOptimizely provides an amazing environment for all of the employees. We are fortunate to have a leadership team who genuinely cares about the well being and professional growth of the company. I am provided with guidance, resources, and mentorship by my manager to ensure that I can grow within my career. My coworkers here are not just coworkers but have also become lifelong friends. Everyone is truly passionate about being here and that really shines on a daily basis.

ConsThe challenges here are those any start-up faces when they grow rapidly. Our founders Dan & Pete have done a great job on being transparent about what is going on with the company as well as taking ownership when employees may be unhappy about something. I wouldn't say there is any REAL con here. The challenges we face are all being addressed, which is most important.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

ProsSmartest team I've ever worked with, all the standard perks, great culture.

ConsGrowing very fast comes with growing pains. Need to slow down every once in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus more on retaining top talent and preserving our culture as we grow.

Great, fast-growing company to be working at.

San Francisco, CA

ProsI get to work with people who are not only smart but also wonderful people. It's a unique place to be working at--growing fast, but still relatively young. It's an exciting place to be, and there's lots of learning opportunities and chances to take on more responsibility.

ConsIt's growing larger, feels less like a startup nowadays than it used to. Because it's growing so fast, there are some growing pains that go with that. There's never as much structure as is needed, we're constantly playing catch up in that arena.

Great, young company with lots of opportunities!

San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat, growing company with a huge business opportunity and an awesome culture. Everyone who works here is excited about coming into work every day. Coworkers help break down walls rather than build them up. People act as owners and ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

ConsIt's a growing company, and as of this writing (12/14/13), the facilities are still coming along. Conference rooms are not always well-equipped and supply closets are sometimes empty. Not a major complaint – just a minor annoyance in an otherwise awesome company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

I couldn't be any happier

San Francisco, CA

ProsI work with amazing people. I went to a top-tier university, but I'm more impressed by the people I work with now. Everyone is so super smart, and they're all fantastic people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our culture is why I love it here; we're transparent, hard-working, fearless, passionate people. I love that I get to work on challenging technical problems every day with such phenomenal men and women.

ConsThe pains of growing can be frustrating at times, but they are also really exciting at the same time. We may have a few more people than when I started, but we excel at hiring the right people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't drop the bar on hiring.

Focused on the right things

San Francisco, CA

ProsFor a company that's grown this fast, Optimizely has done a remarkable job maintaining and even improving its focus on the product, customers, and employees. Yes, there are all the start-up perks and then some. But there's also a level of transparency that you don't see at companies of this size, and an infectious sense of humility that comes straight from the top, but encourages a bottom-up culture. Every employee here has a chance to make a difference and own the success of the company. Every employee has a chance to delight our customers. Leaders have high standards, but they don't bark out orders so much as listen carefully and tie things together. We hire incredibly talented people and they are expected to perform at a high level. You can see the commitment to building a truly great company in the little details, such as sending out meeting notes to the company that would usually be classified, or the ratio of HR/Ops staff to total employees. Keep this up, and be vigilant, and the company will get even better.

ConsCommon startup stuff, nothing major. With so many people moving this fast, and especially so many newer employees, we could afford to coordinate our efforts more. We're starting to put more emphasis on scale, process, and focus, as well as performance management and expectation setting for employees. We need to keep heading in that direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt our size and reputation in the market, it's going to get harder, not easier. Keep trusting your employees and inspiring them to succeed, keep the level of transparency, don't be afraid to make tough decisions when managing and measuring our performance, and don't give in to the temptation to start messaging to us or to customers. You've built an amazing culture, so please keep it up.

I never thought I'd enjoy work this much

Sales Development Representative (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe people here are amazing, the company culture is incredible, I would say on average I spend about 60% of my day smiling or laughing. In addition, the product is incredible, our customers are consistently delighted, all in all it's everything I wanted it to be and more. Not just that, transparency is huge here, as an employee I feel like I know exactly what's going on in every department.

ConsSometimes I worry that I'm enjoying work too much

Advice to Senior ManagementYou all are doing a tremendous job, thank you.

Fun and challenging environment loaded with exceptional people

ProsGreat culture built on transparency, ownership, and collaboration. Coming into work is truly fun each and every day. Constantly being challenged and picking up new information and skillsets.

ConsStill a growing company, so many of internal processes are still being developed. People that are used to more structure might find the environment a bit challenging at first.

Worked for Optimizely? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Optimizely reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Optimizely CEO Dan Siroker. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Optimizely employees.