Optimizely Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
5.0

Optimizely Co-Founder & CEO Dan Siroker
Dan Siroker

Learn a lot very quickly

Current Employee - Customer Success Team  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for less than a year

Pros

Unlimited time-off, work-life balance is great, mostly the culture is awesome, you get to learn a LOT and the opportunities to "own" something are endless

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind, I just hope that as the company grows so quickly we don't lose sight of our core values

Keep up the amazing work.

Truly the best place to work in San Francisco!

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for less than a year

Pros

1) By far some of the best perks. Breakfast, Lunch (Catered), Dinner (Seamless) and the gym provided by the company is 2.5 blocks away.
    2) Great people... I find myself learning, laughing, and smiling everyday.
    3) Fun: Challenge others in FIFA on the xbox or ping pong in the afternoon.
    4) The company is growing fast and there are many opportunities

Cons

I don't have much to say for this because I love every detail about this company.

I love the foundation you guys have built! Please keep up with the great work.

One of the "Best Places to Work." Period.

Current Employee - Director of Employee Happiness  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Employee Happiness in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

San Francisco Business Times named Optimizely #1 among medium sized businesses for 2014, and for good reason.

Working at Optimizely is a true joy because everyone around you cares: about the work and customers, about the company and about each other. It's really incredible. We're not perfect. In fact we're growing fast and experience growing pains. But everyone wants to keep making this place better. It's so refreshing and encouraging. Optimism abounds here.

Cons

You have to keep up! This company is on track to make a dent in the universe in record time, so things move fast.

Don't lose sight of what makes this place special!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible company with amazing people!

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for less than a year

Pros

Love love LOVE working here! The culture is transparent, passionate, and fun. There's never a dull day at Optimizely. The perks are awesome (catering, benefits, Clipper card, gym membership), but I never feel pressured to sacrifice my work-life balance in exchange for them. We're given a high level of ownership over our roles.

Cons

We're going through some growing pains as we expand our team so rapidly in regards to processes and career development.

The BEST place to work!

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for more than a year

Pros

Optimizely provides an amazing environment for all of the employees. We are fortunate to have a leadership team who genuinely cares about the well being and professional growth of the company. I am provided with guidance, resources, and mentorship by my manager to ensure that I can grow within my career. My coworkers here are not just coworkers but have also become lifelong friends. Everyone is truly passionate about being here and that really shines on a daily basis.

Cons

The challenges here are those any start-up faces when they grow rapidly. Our founders Dan & Pete have done a great job on being transparent about what is going on with the company as well as taking ownership when employees may be unhappy about something. I wouldn't say there is any REAL con here. The challenges we face are all being addressed, which is most important.

Great place to work

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smartest team I've ever worked with, all the standard perks, great culture.

Cons

Growing very fast comes with growing pains. Need to slow down every once in a while.

Please focus more on retaining top talent and preserving our culture as we grow.

Great, fast-growing company to be working at.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Optimizely full-time

Pros

I get to work with people who are not only smart but also wonderful people. It's a unique place to be working at--growing fast, but still relatively young. It's an exciting place to be, and there's lots of learning opportunities and chances to take on more responsibility.

Cons

It's growing larger, feels less like a startup nowadays than it used to. Because it's growing so fast, there are some growing pains that go with that. There's never as much structure as is needed, we're constantly playing catch up in that arena.

Great, young company with lots of opportunities!

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great, growing company with a huge business opportunity and an awesome culture. Everyone who works here is excited about coming into work every day. Coworkers help break down walls rather than build them up. People act as owners and ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

Cons

It's a growing company, and as of this writing (12/14/13), the facilities are still coming along. Conference rooms are not always well-equipped and supply closets are sometimes empty. Not a major complaint – just a minor annoyance in an otherwise awesome company.

Keep up the good work!

I couldn't be any happier

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for more than a year

Pros

I work with amazing people. I went to a top-tier university, but I'm more impressed by the people I work with now. Everyone is so super smart, and they're all fantastic people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Our culture is why I love it here; we're transparent, hard-working, fearless, passionate people. I love that I get to work on challenging technical problems every day with such phenomenal men and women.

Cons

The pains of growing can be frustrating at times, but they are also really exciting at the same time. We may have a few more people than when I started, but we excel at hiring the right people.

Don't drop the bar on hiring.

Focused on the right things

I have been working at Optimizely full-time for less than a year

Pros

For a company that's grown this fast, Optimizely has done a remarkable job maintaining and even improving its focus on the product, customers, and employees. Yes, there are all the start-up perks and then some. But there's also a level of transparency that you don't see at companies of this size, and an infectious sense of humility that comes straight from the top, but encourages a bottom-up culture. Every employee here has a chance to make a difference and own the success of the company. Every employee has a chance to delight our customers. Leaders have high standards, but they don't bark out orders so much as listen carefully and tie things together. We hire incredibly talented people and they are expected to perform at a high level. You can see the commitment to building a truly great company in the little details, such as sending out meeting notes to the company that would usually be classified, or the ratio of HR/Ops staff to total employees. Keep this up, and be vigilant, and the company will get even better.

Cons

Common startup stuff, nothing major. With so many people moving this fast, and especially so many newer employees, we could afford to coordinate our efforts more. We're starting to put more emphasis on scale, process, and focus, as well as performance management and expectation setting for employees. We need to keep heading in that direction.

At our size and reputation in the market, it's going to get harder, not easier. Keep trusting your employees and inspiring them to succeed, keep the level of transparency, don't be afraid to make tough decisions when managing and measuring our performance, and don't give in to the temptation to start messaging to us or to customers. You've built an amazing culture, so please keep it up.

Worked for Optimizely? Contribute to the Community!