Optivest Properties

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.1

Mark Van Mourick

Best work experience I have ever had!

I have been working at Optivest Properties full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly staff/ co-workers, positive work atmosphere, tons of opportunities to grow and learn, management takes the time to help and stay well connected with employees.

Cons

No 401 K matching and a crumby dental plan.

A good company but needs to hire better (and smarter) facility managers.

Former Employee - Consultant in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Optivest Properties part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Optivest is a good company to work for. I liked that they were VERY flexible with my school schedule. The pay is decent (as an entry-level worker) and anyone can execute the facility procedures. You just need to be trained. Give yourself a week working there and you'll master the procedures. However, learning the computer software will take longer. Working for the facilities that Optivest operates was super easy. Your responsibilities pretty much stay the same everyday. Optivest operates numerous facilities and I really liked the corporate management but I can't say the same for the managers they hire for the facilities they work with.

Cons

I worked at more than one facility and the facility managers I worked for usually had mediocre to below-average leadership abilities. Out of all the facilities I worked for, there was only one who demonstrated good leadership. But other than that one manager, all of them were uneducated, had no leadership traits, indecisive, (mostly) lazy, had no vision, made many mistakes, unable to handle difficult customers and computer illiterate. In essence, they really shouldn't have been managers but I'm aware why they get hired - because educated and successful-prone employees wouldn't work as a facility manager. So Optivest has to settle for mediocre candidates. Don't get me wrong though, because of their nature it made working there SUPER easy and stress-free. So that was a big plus. If you're one who doesn't care about that stuff (which is completely fine) then you would LOVE working there. Despite having mediocre managers I still recommend to work for them so as long as it's entry-level.

Hire better-quality facility managers. I'm not entirely sure what the interview process is like but it definitely wasn't a good system in my opinion.

Nov 7, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback - we appreciate it!

growth potential, rewarded for working hard

I have been working at Optivest Properties full-time (more than a year)

Pros

company values, opportunities to grow within the company, attainable goals, new training programs, they work to see what motivates you, your opinion matters.

Cons

if you aren't motivated, then you won't last here. storage itself is kind of boring and non- glamorous.

consider offering 401k matching in the future

Thanks for the feedback!

Be very aware you will not be appreciated as an employee.

Former Employee - Site Manager
    Former Employee - Site Manager

I worked at Optivest Properties full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very very difficult to be terminated believed to be because they don't want to pay unemployment.

Cons

Many cons. Do not pay enough. Greedy. Witnessed management retaliate against employees when harassment or other issues are reported. Witnessed on many occasions do not follow state mandates with OSHA. Creates unrealistic revenue goals believed to be because they don't want to pay bonuses. Limited training for new managers with no previous self-storage experience (two days).

I wouldn't know where to begin?

Nov 7, 2014Director, Human Resources

So sorry to hear this is how you perceived Optivest. We have an open door policy...please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss further.

not enough pay for the service u provide

I have been working at Optivest Properties part-time

Pros

nice staff overall to employes

Cons

expect to much for little pay spend more money on marketing

pay maintenance employees more money too much work not enough pay

Jun 12, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Our maintenance staff are a valued part of our team. Although we can't always pay as much as we'd like, we do appreciate you!

n/a

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Optivest Properties full-time (less than a year)

Pros

flexible work schedule alot of freedom

Cons

old school mentality when it comes to managing people

too many chiefs not enough indians

Jun 12, 2014Director, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Sorry that you did not have a great experience working for Optivest. We are constantly striving to improve the work-life experience for our team. If you have specific ... More