Oracle

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

65 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Like being a cog in a great big machine

Documentation Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood benefits and salary. Oracle is a stable company, and offers a great environment for people who can mold themselves to work within the fairly rigid confines of how they do business.

ConsSalary adjustments and promotions are extremely rare for most people. Performance appraisals use forced rankings. Management says they want innovation, but rarely provide the means for anyone to pursue it.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider adopting 21st Century ideas about performance appraisal and talent management.

Not a bad place to work, but lower than average pay

Senior Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat opportunities if they're taken advantage of. Many divisions offer flexible work schedules and they have a fairly relaxed dress code for non-sales or marketing. Oracle's huge, and there may likely be travel opportunities, but the company does incorporate telepresence and in-house telecommunication applications. The benefits are pretty on-par for the course.

ConsRaises and salaries are often a herculean struggle to fight for. Upper-management will start/engage in many projects but skip-level meetings and top-down engagements to get the status of "the boots on the ground" are too rare. There are no employee-only conferences for many divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth, employees see when the company is doing great. Also, invest in team building better -- management needs to take employee morale into effect far better to get the best efficiencies.

My Job is sometimes boring, but I love my co workers and work environment

Business Development Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

ProsThe job is sometimes boring, but if you learn how to navigate the system and work hard you will be rewarded handsomely. My co workers are all great, young, and opportunities for promotion are plentiful.

ConsSometimes there is definitely some entry-level, boring minutia, but that is inherent for most positions like this.

System Administrator

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Prosworking with multiple platforms, OVS environments and VMware envrionments

ConsDifferent levels of degrees with multiple issus

Advice to Senior ManagementPreformance reviews need to adhere to the employee. Incentives are a key and making an employee feel likes he making strides in his/her carreer.

Best place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits. Great manager and wonderful work environment

ConsSome times long work hours

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Lame culture, overbearing manager, and faking phone stats?!

Oracle Direct- Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Burlington, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

ProsThe money was good, when one person on a sales team closed a sale, everyone got paid. So it was ridiculous (but good for me) that I was getting paid on deals I had no idea even closed. Was able to easily earn six figures, but most of it came in the summer time, after Oracle's Q4 ends in May.

ConsThe management made it unbearable. There was so much corp red tape, bureaucracy and cronyism it was nuts. Probably the worst part was the fake phone calls. Everyone on the sales floor did it too, and even management, who was promoted up from the ranks, knew all the phone stats were fake. There's no way one person can make 225 calls per week into a limited base of only 15 core companies, but that's what all Oracle Direct (Inside Sales) reps are required to do. The job is more of a glorified order taking job, rather than a true hunter position. I finished #2 for FY09, but nonetheless my manager put me on Sales Improvement Plan within weeks of that, simply because my summer pipeline was weak and fake stats were low. Pathetic management there drives out good talent over cronyism.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real! The fake phone stats should go away and reps should be measured on results, not fake weekly stats.

Moving to the Cloud

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

ProsGood reputation and good solutions; lots of recent investment in Sales training and staffing to better position key Cloud solution sets. Great underlying technology and some of the best executive leadership in the history of technology.

ConsAs the incumbent traditional software vendor, Oracle is often having to defend older products against more recently developed solutions. Usually there isn't enough benefit to move to one of the upstart solutions, yet it can be frustrating to always "defend" instead of being at the forefront with technology or strategy to "attack".

ASR

ASR (Current Employee)
Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for less than a year

ProsBest coworkers
Best Manager
Good Money

The best job out of college
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
No overtime

ConsNo Comment
Do your job then You will make money

Aggressive, political, micro management, no work/life balance

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTypically other sales people are decent to work with. Clients are nice.

ConsHarder to work internally then externally. Red tape, clients complain oracle is hard to work with, management has no investment in people, accounts are assigned and it is really luck of the draw if you hit your number. Management has no guidance or any want for their employees to succeed. Work hours are set 8-530pm don't even think about leaving before or coming in any later - it is not tolerated. There are no women on the floor - I can't imagine a mother even working for this org. Some teams are really good to work for and some are beyond awful - do your homework. No such thing as raises or negotiated pay bumps for promotions. They expect you to do more work for no pay because you "want to be a leader" which is all nonsense. Morale is awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees, fair pay, family first, treat them like adults

Great Pay, good work/life, okay public opinion, slow moving giant

Oracle Direct Account Manager (Current Employee)

Pros$$$
Not the workhorse everyone makes it out to be

ConsYou can work here for years and never meet anyone who can make any real changes

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings in Burlington, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 65 reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees.