Oracle Reviews in Canada

5,672 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,285 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Oracle is an excellent place to work

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility and Opportunities are boundless

Cons

Workload can be overwhelming to people who are accustomed to a steady pace.

Provide more direction

Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Great senior management and good company to work with

Cons

Some projects are not exciting

Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Good communication among teams. Flexible hours. Ability to work from home. Junior engineers are mentored and helped with their coding style and processes by senior engineers. Casual work environment. Good benefits.

Cons

Salary increases below industry average (company rewards a few with stock options to a few people which is good but does not give proper pay increases). You are responsible for your career growth but not enough time allocated to let you do additional training. Not enough emphasis given on performance reviews which does not help career advancement.

Provide allocated time to perform training and give more help with career planning.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A truly soul-less company

Former Employee - Senior Solution Consultant  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Solution Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay
    Training in Oracle products is usually available

Cons

Upper management constantly shuffling things around - doesn't seem like they know what they're doing
    No pay raises ever - that's policy
    Everything is driven by the bottom line - no allowances made for happy emplyees
    No real chance to move around in the company due to hiring freezes and various policies

You can't put a 23 year old graduate into a sales position and expect them to succeed - you are driving away your customers where you can least afford to. It will bite you in a few years.
    You can't keep shuffling your sales folk and still profess to have your customer's best interests at heart. They're not buying it, they have 3 new account managers every year. You just don't care about them.

Great brand & company to build Tech Industry experience, especially in Sales. Salary increases don't align with tenure.

Current Employee - Sales Consulting Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Consulting Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great work life balance with Flex office implementation becoming more widespread & part of the culture.

Cons

Salary increases are non-existent & title changes in Canada are made more challenging by pay equity laws. Sales culture used to dominate however, that seems to be changing under Mark Hurd where it has become more operational. Sales at Oracle not as 'sexy' as it once was.

Reward loyal employees for their commitment & experience. Too many top performers have left Oracle & gone elsewhere. They would have stayed with progressive increases in salary. Shopping around for another opportunity takes away their focus from moving their career at Oracle forward & is demotivating.

Great life work balance, not much room for growth - you're 1 of 120,000+ employees

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/life balance is great - as a consultant I am OT eligible
    Job is flexible - I can work from home
    Health/medical/401k benefits are great

Cons

I came from an acquisition - a smaller 400ish employee size company. I went from feeling connected to the whole company, to suddenly VERY disconnected.
    Too many processes to get something done - example, to change my address in the system I emailed HR, they had me do it online, when it didn't take I reached out again, they told me to rinse repeat...all in all way too much time wasted for such a simple task.
    Company reviews have ZERO correlation to merit increases. Yet, it was a 3 month process.
    I've been employed with the original organization for ~2 years and have not gotten any salary increases. When Oracle acquired us my salary stayed the same, but my bonus plan decreased by 5%.
    In short, as an organization, it's clear that they don't care much about the employee, just what's best for the business.
    Not much room for growth and/or career paths/development. You'd think at a large company you'd have a lot of options.

Value your employees! Give incentive to keep people around. Do what's right for the client. I've seen too many situations where we try to save a client just for the money, even if it's not the right solution for the client. This is a lose-lose. The client will eventually realize they've made the wrong decision.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Applications Developer  in  Quebec, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Quebec, QC (Canada)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance, possibility to work from home.

Cons

Company culture, high management far removed from engineering's perspective of things, and unable to leverage its own products and services to help customers.

Get closer to engineering, they have more to contribute than you can possibly imagine.

My experience with Oracle was difficult, stressful and completely frustrating and it wasn't necessary.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Director  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think the technology is very strong and if the company culture wasn't so broken I would recommend it to clients

Cons

The matrix organization is too complicated and very frustrating for the client. Each division of the company has a separate agenda and causes conflict internally which affects the client

compensation drives behaviour therefore, I suggest that comp be reviewed to ensure the right behaviours are happening. A compliance deal has cause a hardware deal to go south in a blink of an eye.

A great company to work for with great leadership and presence in the IT space.

Current Employee - Director  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team atmosphere, good technical teams, good engineers, and great opportunities. I love the team I work for and couldn't ask for a better manager!

Cons

Can be siloed, but since this is a large company this expected.
    Salary hikes can be a problem

Senior management - Listen to what your team is telling you and fight for them instead of just managing up all the time.

Excellent

I worked at Oracle full-time

Pros

Great environment to work in. Great. Support staff. Friendly.

Cons

Can get lost in the office culture if you want to step up in hierarchy.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!