Oracle

3.3 5,312 reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(3,103 ratings)

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 714 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 325 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 96 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

5,312 Employee Reviews

Solid tech company with solid technology, applications solutions, transitioning to meet current trends to reduced Cap-ex

Solution Architect (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsLots of technology innovation. Huge focus on the more profitable technology solutions. Diverse customer base. Huge portfolio of good, relevant technologies to build solutions from.

ConsLittle on-going investment in growing employees.
    Too much middle management.
    No real career path
    Slow going in terms of promotions. Growth might sometimes be inversely proportional to tenure.

Was good exp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork life balance was good..

ConsLot of reorganization makes you feel distracted..

Don't expect a raise!!!!

Principal Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsStong company, good benefits, No fear for a take over.

ConsNo raises in 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at how you decisions affects employee's families. You took the working from home perk away. Havent seen a raise in 5 years. Now with after school day care and commute expenses, I've taken a pay decrease! Also when your support group earns $2 Billion per month, you can share some of the wealth!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity, but

Applications Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe technology and the people to work with are great. They have a great story to tell their customers about their product offerings. They also offer great benefits.

ConsMany times you are competing against another Oracle employee for the same business. Because of continuous acquisitions, the company has offerings that directly compete which are sold by different reps. They let the Sales Reps "duke it out". In reality whoever has the best relationship with the customer will ultimately win. Also, their internal process to get an order booked are PAINFUL and feel like order prevention.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifficult to be successful with work-life balance. Long days, lots of travel, and not effective business development for leads - I did a lot of cold calling.

Eight months at Oracle

IT Manager (Former Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsLike a lot of people I came to Oracle as part of an acquisition. Folks in Product Engineering seemed happiest and liked their teams. Lots of interesting technology to play with. Company makes money. If you can find a good manager and team, it can be a good place to work.

ConsVery political and hierarchical, people look up your position and decide whether you are important enough to pay attention to. Things are done by firedrill, communication between teams not always good - you get little warning and expected to drop everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't appreciate being flamed on an email by a director when I had the temerity to ask about a backup plan in case a project went south. Seemed way over the top and unnecessary (just tell me that the project has to go out no matter what). That experience was one of the reasons I left.

Stable company. Software development machine

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig stable company. If you are on the right project in the right location with the right manager, career advancement options are good. Oracle does a good job of staying with the technology curve, but not necessarily ahead of it.

ConsBig and impersonal. Not employee oriented. Very political. Impacts of good work get diluted because of the sheer size of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to sincerely recognize the good work that people do and place it in proper context with their mistakes.

Great Company

Principal Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsGreat Company to work for with some opportunity. Oracle creates technology and is a leader. One of the Premier Tech companies. Work with global teams. Big Company. Great benefits.

ConsCompensation is stagnate. The last couple of years no new hires in the states but are hiring offshore. Corporate results look great but outlook for some employees are not.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn the GBU, they don't accept input.

Lack of direction; lack of identity; lack of vision;

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsThere are just a few good engineers at Oracle. Occasionally you'd see a pocket of 1-2 good engineers in a team of 20+.

ConsAs it is made up of many companies, there is big disintegration. No culture per se. Cronyism and incompetency are rampant at Oracle. Disillusionment. The smart people seem to quit as soon as Oracle acquires a company. Smart people seem to be deliberately not hired. Friends and inexperienced people are welcome at Oracle. Pro-activity, natural leadership, experience doesn't seem to be encouraged or rewarded. Mediocrity is protected at all costs.

The internal tools they use are so old and obsolete that is not even funny. For instance: How can a database company not normalize the bug-status of their bug-tracking tool? Why would you leave it as a cross-product of two statuses, that cannot describe uniformly a bug status? Why would you have disparate set of 99 bug statuses? How can you provide better software when your own internal tools are obsolete?

This is just one example. Plenty more.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as the same management stays in place, nothing will change. Any talk of "restructuring", etc., is just another PR from investors to investors, to keep the stock from sinking. The sad part is that management knows they are incompetent and mediocre and are diagnosing themselves as "all is good!" This is at all vertical levels of management. Everyone knows it and no one wants to admit it. It's just another "too big to fail" company. If one person admits it, they are quickly isolated, ousted, isolated, fired, etc.

No innovation, no direction, no management

Software Engineer III (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCan work from home; Overtime not allowed so hours are ok. They still have insurance. Managament is clueless and too busy creating reports to manage.

ConsNo raises or bonuses in about 8 years for MOST employees. Too many middle level managers. Internal websites are old and run on open source. We do not effectively use our own database or Applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management does not care; middle managers are too scared for their jobs - so advice is pointless

Was Great. Shifting to Bad

Applications Sales Representative (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

ProsFinancial Backbone. Customer Base. Upward Mobility. Products.

ConsSalary. Financial Executives making Operational Decisions.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!