Oracle

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(2,811 ratings)

4,763 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good"
    in 597 reviews
  • "Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times"
    in 333 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth"
    in 82 reviews
  • "Employee satisfaction, career growth etc are the least important thing at Oracle"
    in 117 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great technical talent, below average pay

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the smartest database and enterprise information technology people in the world work here. Still the 800 pound gorilla of enterprise tech. Ellison has kept pace with the changing tech world and reinvented the company several times. Interesting work with the world's biggest customers.

ConsPay is way below average for the tech industry. Have to leave and come back to get a raise, or just leave - lost a lot of talent due to this. Sales management doesn't understand the missing pieces to make customers successful after the deal is done, or doesn't care. Ellison is 70 years old - who will take over when he is gone?

Advice to Senior ManagementAdjust the policy against merit raises to reward your shining star talent. Adjust pay upward almost across the board to keep pace with the industry and at least over a 2% cost of living / inflation adjustment yearly.

Once Oracle bought our company, the knives came out

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI don't have a lot of pros for working at Oracle, I guess the pro would be that they make money and are good at monetizing their products and getting as much money out of their customers as possible.

ConsThere was no loyalty for people who came in from companies that Oracle swallowed. They would tear whatever company they consumed apart trying to change the financial model to match the one that they have at Oracle, and for some products that doesn't work at all especially if they don't understand the financial model.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like cows and milk them for everything that you can get.

A pretty good company to work for

Software Development Manager (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOracle is a big company, but it runs very efficiently. Oracle's benefit seems to be quite good - one of them is the long term care insurance; one can purchase it for his parents as well. Key people get pretty good rewards. The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good. Many people work from home one-day every week. Oracle also provides various training for employees: one can learn quite a bit if he really wants to.

ConsOne needs to think about his own career path; otherwise, it is easy to get buried by day-to-day tasks. Also, different divisions at Oracle can be quite different. Choose one that works for you.

Excellent management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment and good opportunities

ConsSalary is very less when compared with others

Best place to work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Burlington, MA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits. Great manager and wonderful work environment

ConsSome times long work hours

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Interesting work and not too much stress

Consulting Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee)
Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExtremely smart people to work with, on many different interesting projects. In Sustaining Engineering the workload is pretty steady. Flexible work hours and locations. Good benefits overall except for total compensation.

ConsHaven't had a bonus in 3 years, getting a raise was like pulling teeth. Raises, bonuses, and promotions are all completely independent of each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more

Product Manager at Oracle via Acquisition

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)
Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI joined Oracle through an acquisition, and moved into a product management role within a fairly large team on the Fusion Middleware side of the business. I was very lucky with all of my immediate line managers, who were excellent and became friends, as well as pretty much all of my immediate colleagues, whom I liked and worked well with. I did a number of both outbound and inbound PM roles, including a lot of customer-focused activities and field training. I was probably happier than many of my friends who loined Oracle as part of the same acquisition and, although I eventually became frustrated there (see Cons, below), overall it was a pretty positive experience. The benefits and compensation package were good, as were the facilities at Redwood Shores.

ConsThe main downsides for me where the lack of opportunity for advancement and the highly centralized decision-making at Oracle. As a PM, it was hard to push any kind of innovation since Oracle's business strategy is so focused on integrating a very heavyweight, tightly-coupled "Red Stack" that releasing software is ponderous and process-heavy. I was lucky to work with some very talented people but, with few exceptions, they all became tired of the obstacles they found in their way, and moved on. You have to understand that all decisions in Oracle are made by LJE and a tiny handful of immediate reports and so company politics and inertia are both real problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many talented and experienced people at Oracle - please give them more scope for innovation and initiative. Sadly, many employees I knew did not feel empowered or able to contribute to their full potential.

A solid, stable, forward-looking enterprise-focused company.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible hours, and a generally friendly work environment. The company overall is stable and forward looking with an eye on the long-term, so things typically aren't rushed. This is coming from a software development perspective. There appears to be ample room for growth in this company and lots of opportunities to do so.

ConsCompensation is perhaps my biggest issue with the company. While, by no means bad, it's not very competitive with some of the start ups in the area, but that's to be expected. Everything is also self-service so it may be daunting at first to navigate your way through all of the things you need to do.

Great

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Rocklin, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you want added responsibility they'll give it to you.

ConsVery competitive work environment and some in-fighting

Advice to Senior ManagementThe staff need more training.

Decent workplace

Software QA (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time

ProsAbove average compensation and lot of opportunity for technical training. Flexible work environment.

ConsNo big opportunity for long term career.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the career opportunity for more employees

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 4,763 reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees.