Oracle

Oracle Reviews in Denver, CO

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights
87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A positive place to work.

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI always feel that Oracle does exactly what it says with it's employees. They may not promise big raises/promotions like previous employers have, but I feel I always know where I stand at Oracle, and I always know what to expect. This has made me much happier in my work.

ConsOracle is a VERY large company and it's HQ is in California. Working in an office outside of HQ sometimes makes us feel disconnected. CEO Larry Ellison has never been to any of the Colorado offices (to my knowledge).

Industry maturation

Senior Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDaily schedule and engaging problem solving

Conswith the maturing of the industry, expertise is being devalued.

Advice to Senior Managementspread the wealth

Product Strategy

Business Development Consultant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsNetworking and contacts are good. Remote work encouraged by most groups. Ability to set personal schedule due to global work force.

ConsNo personal growth encouraged, no raises unless you're in sales or connected to key executives. Very poor management of integrating acquired companies - not like typical micro management of all Oracle processes, acquired companies don't get integrated and create huge cultural issues, sales don't get booked and products aren't managed by Oracle. Oracle leaves former mgmt in place - creating nightmare to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate all those acquisitions, put in Oracle management or you're wasting time and money.
    Just because someone has a VP title doesn't mean they have a clue how to manage anything.
    Demand managers perform or get rid of them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Innovation Lacking

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Pros- large company with good benefits packages and multiple locations
    - embraces remote work/virtual teams to allow employees to remain where they are vs relocating
    - exhibits strong financial performance

Cons- rather than innovating, Oracle buys existing technologies and either re-brands them or runs them to the ground. this does not promote an innovative, creative workforce
    - de-centralized corporate culture means that your experience could be positive or negative, depending on the division you work in - inconsistent management and policies
    - lack of work-life-balance. they expect more than what seems ethically responisble from their employees in regards to hours worked per week. it was common for 80+ hours in a week. the company should staff appropriately to get quality from their employees, not quantity.

Proposal manager sheparding sales team to organize, write, format and submit software proposals.

Proposal Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsVery professional in all aspects: co-workers, clients (sales teams), management, corporate information needed is well organized. Was able to work from home in inclement weather. I am so impressed with this company that I bought stock after I left.

ConsI really have no cons about this position. I was sorry that my department could not get an extension for my contract. It started at 6 months and was renewed twice, but no further authorization was available.

Plenty of work, good benefits, not much else but steady

Test Engineer (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsBenefits. Pay is average for the area. Nice campus. Fairly flexible hours. Product line has good potential. If you do not like interacting with people this may be the place for you.

ConsSelf service for everything. Matrix management = you are on your own as a wandering drone engineer. No goals, no raises, no feedback except bad, no career advancement opportunities. Cycled in and out of projects which are never fulfilled and criteria changes to make the schedule. Many people WFH to avoid heavy lifting but that is now by approval only. A class system of people and so not well defined roles. Test labs a complete mess, which they are trying to correct but not close to industry standard. Now we are told of capital spending cuts after praise for making the last release so successful and increasing profits. Many people cliques. Tight with your manager then you get perks, manager disinterested in you then you get over assigned and 60 hour weeks while others on your team skate. Too many lost efficiencies as very disgruntled previous Sun employees simply do not care anymore and do not interact outside of cliques. Director micro manages test leads and engineers from 30,000 FT and out of touch with engineering realities. Could be so much more.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a vision, share it, implement it and follow up on it. Modernize your test labs to industry and customer standards. The matrix management thing is an excuse for managers to only manage up and not manage people. Recognize individual contributions. Stop telling employees yearly compensation/raises are tied to a missed wall street analyst's expected earning projection do the right thing any profitable company should.

Unfortunately customer base for SUN hardware is declining which caused a lay-off.

Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsThe benefits are good and so is the time off.

ConsBecause of declining SUN(bought by Oracle) hardware customer base a lay-off was necessary.

Once Oracle bought our company, the knives came out

Project Manager (Former Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsI don't have a lot of pros for working at Oracle, I guess the pro would be that they make money and are good at monetizing their products and getting as much money out of their customers as possible.

ConsThere was no loyalty for people who came in from companies that Oracle swallowed. They would tear whatever company they consumed apart trying to change the financial model to match the one that they have at Oracle, and for some products that doesn't work at all especially if they don't understand the financial model.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like cows and milk them for everything that you can get.

A solid, stable, forward-looking enterprise-focused company.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Broomfield, CO

ProsFlexible hours, and a generally friendly work environment. The company overall is stable and forward looking with an eye on the long-term, so things typically aren't rushed. This is coming from a software development perspective. There appears to be ample room for growth in this company and lots of opportunities to do so.

ConsCompensation is perhaps my biggest issue with the company. While, by no means bad, it's not very competitive with some of the start ups in the area, but that's to be expected. Everything is also self-service so it may be daunting at first to navigate your way through all of the things you need to do.

Decent workplace

Software QA (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAbove average compensation and lot of opportunity for technical training. Flexible work environment.

ConsNo big opportunity for long term career.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the career opportunity for more employees

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!