Oracle

6,187 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,526 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 870 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Cool place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

With my role I feel I can treat this role as my own business, whilst having the resources and people around me to help us succeed. Culture is great, there are some whingers here and there but maybe they have reason to be a bit negative, I'm not sure. But mostly positive, fun and kind people. I have to say the new Management and leadership team is getting better all the time, really respectful decent people who treat you with manners and kindness. Makes a difference! I still miss Ian White our old MD, who was the nicest man but things are going well with the new leadership team. Although to be hones I have not had much to do with them.

Of course with this type of leadership we are going to work harder and harder to succeed.

Lots of work life balance, can work from home when needed, lots of resources and people to help. Great Health Insurance benefits, life insurance etc.. Great salary, and commission!

Cons

Still some people who like to whinge a bit and bring others down, not much a con that's okay!
    Would prefer to have a Manager in Australia not overseas.
    There are some people who don't put in much at all and you have to work in same team as them and cover them, that's tough, maybe unfair! Esp when you working late nights and they had to take off early every single day when they started late.

I like what's happening now.
    I like the positive feel of the company and I just hope it stays this way.
    In past we have had some nasty VP's who really used scare tactics, talking behind their employees back etc to manage and it was just awful. They all gone now and it's so nice and inspiring now!
    Don't blame a whole team for the errors of Managers who sometimes are not very good at making decisions so they blame a support team or someone who is assisting them in Oracle. I hear didn't make numbers because this team didn't deliver, not true..

Diverse & exciting product portfolio with great Career progression!

Current Employee - General Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to work with new and exciting new Global solutions. Major investments made by HQ for Australian market (eg. Local Data centres in Australia for Cloud solutions) - helps differentiate our capability. Great personal growth oppty for hard workers with focus on the customer primarily supported by a sense of urgency & good attention to detail. I moved from PreSales to Account Management to Sales Manager and General manager role over the last 10+ years. Global Women's Leadership Forums with Global Conferences and Career Opportunities in Senior Management roles. Great Compensation Accelerators to sell Cloud solutions.

Cons

Large complex organisation divisions. This is now being addressed in more collaborative cross line of business engagement to improve go to market to focus on the customer.

Accelerate plans to simplify the business and focus on the customer outcomes.

Oracle Experience

Current Employee - Account Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally very good people to work with. Middle management are generally promoted from within and are therefore able to provide strong guidance on account management, deal strategy and contract negotiation. Oracle have ramped up their cloud presence significantly int the past 3 years. There are plenty of resources if you know who to ask or where to find them

Cons

There has been significant attrition in local business which continues to spiral out of control given the specialization model that HQ has imposed. Territories and quotas have been significant reduced without any meaningful adjustments to quotas. Given the sheer size and acquisitive nature of the organisation the back-office is extremely difficult to navigate with many different owners across multiple-geographies within a single process. There is little to no collaboration cross line of business which makes it near impossible to present the Oracle story. Finally, the company is totally inflexible around compensation with no CPI adjustments or ability to review pay. Despite good local management they are effectively dis-empowered by a rigid and ruthless HQ when it comes to territory assignment and compensation.

The company is not surprisingly very North American centric. The company needs to stem the bleeding and hold on to the good reps by overhauling the current "specialization" sales structure. Most importantly Oracle needs to stop espousing customer-first rhetoric and start putting the customer first.

Job

Current Employee - Presales in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Presales in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good products and tier one customers.

Cons

Bad Manager who is forcing me to look elsewhere.

great learning without career progression

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to best products to work on. Amicable environment and competitive salary.

Cons

No appraisal cycle, Too big to get noticed and promotes the favourites.

In addition to focusing on growth of organisation, value individual's needs to grow also.

Full of process and opaque

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Provide opportunities for career development including paying for Masters and frequent internal course offerings. Entirely self service to the point of ridiculousness.

Cons

Overly bureaucratic and highly process focused sometimes to the point of absurdity. No access to or feedback from senior management often feels like they are operating in a vacuum.

Provide insight into executive decision making processes, business unit heads should follow Hurd's example and have regular updates and town halls. Remove layers of process and speed approvals systems

Good Diverse Work Opportunities

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity of roles available from consulting, support, sales, education, development and sales, Ability to move from one role to another if you aspire to it, Reasonably supportive direct management, great health plan, many long term employees, good employee development plan (20 days per annum). You need to go for what you want and there are sufficient opportunities to do so, don't expect anything to be handed to you, so this is ideal for the aspiring employee.

Cons

Ruthless business performance KPIs determines the overall headcounts, little loyaty to employee - even if you have been with Oracle for years, they seem to release you quite ruthlessly, seemingly little corporate culture and relationship among peers.,

Senior Manager Support

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great Team
    - Winning Culture based on success
    - 1st in the market for everything!

Cons

- Travel
    - To many sales reps no headcount in support!

Look at the company as a whole, not just sales

A dynamic, competitive company that doesn't valueback office employees

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- global NASDAQ 100 company
    - forefront in technology
    - great people to work with
    - great health insurance benefit
    - flexible work options negotiable

Cons

- HQ is in US, limited advancement opportunities unless in HQ
    - low pay and no bonus post GFC, unless in Sales or Consulting
    - self funded Christmas parties for internal employees
    - long working hours
    - low acknowledgment and recognition of back-office employees

Back office employees keep the lights on for company operations, they should be given more respect and recognition.

OFSS review

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at Oracle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good opportunity to client place and get working & business experience

Cons

Internal Processes can be better