Oracle

Oracle Reviews in Nashua, NH

Updated Mar 5, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 714 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 325 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 96 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Drone at Oracle

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsFlexible environment
    Work from Home
    Good senior managment

ConsNo periodic reviews
    Lack of access to hardware for development and test

Advice to Senior ManagementDo meaningful reviews

Good start for a new graduate.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsInitial package is decent. Teammates are smart and hard working. Be able to learn a lot of stuff over years, which should be good once decided to move on

ConsNot much pay increases over the years once you are here, even after a promotion. Considering there are always acquisitions, there is some risk of being laid-off. Generally such risks are dependent on the group you are with. Should not be too big a risk.

An OK place, easy to get lost in the shuffle

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

Pros- Lots of smart people.
    - Good overall technology to work with.
    - Good way to get started in business software.
    - Can have good work/life balance if you sacrifice advancement.

Cons- Huge company.
    - Little recognition for positive achievement.
    - Salary falls behind market level over time.
    - Crunch times can be intense and schedules are managed poorly.
    - Little emphasis on continued learning and career development.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring about employee happiness again. Treat longtime employees better; it seems the attitude is "go ahead and leave, newbies (who cost less) are waiting to take your place."

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Divide Between Management and Individual Contributor

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsGood benefits
    Ability to work from home (however, this is at local management discretion)
    Professional culture
    Great colleagues to work and collaborate with (although upper management encourages feature competition)

ConsPromotions only for political reasons
    Raises few and far between (3 years at last count)
    No formal reviews, means management free to do as it pleases with employees fate

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport Oracle internal policies
    Treat individual contributors fairly
    Take some people management courses; being a 'good engineer' doesn't qualify you for people management

Great place for talented engineers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsAble to work with a group of very highly educated and highly skilled engineers. Core database development provides the opportunity to work on challenging problems and develop new technologies. Work schedule is very flexible. Many managers are technically skilled and active in development.

ConsTime demands can be significant depending on where we are in the release cycle. Pressure can get very high as a release approaches. As with any big company they sometimes do things or have policies that seem really foolish.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to do a better job of encouraging managers to proactively weed out lower performing employees and replace them rather than keeping them around for a rainy day when they are told to make a cut.

Love the flexible schedule and benefits - and the people are awesome too.

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsOracle has great compensation packages. Even though they don't like to purchase hardware, Oracle is willing to raise your salary out of band if they really value you. The people here are great. Oracle has a culture of valuing independent contributions and ideas. This leads to you being able to work as much or as little as you like, within the limits of reason, of course. Oracle offers great work\life balance, with flexible hours, telecommuting, and other small perks. The best part of it all is that the managers at Oracle are all excellent. Oracle tends to promote managers from technical people, so they understand the work that you do. You don't need to go management to make cash though - Oracle offers a technical track which rewards technical people just as much. In addition to all this, Oracle has an awesome HQ, with gym, pool, etc.

ConsLack of interest in purchasing hardware - makes it very hard to develop code when you can't access hardware. I often spend my time waiting for a process to finish when I could have been done in half the time with more disk space, faster machine, etc. When you consider the cost of hardware versus my time, its very short sited. Also, like many companies, Oracle will take all you have to give and than ask for more. Performance feedback is also very lacking. I've been here 4 years and gotten 1 formal review. In addition to this, getting hired at Oracle can take some time, sometimes people have to wait a long time (up to a year) for Larry to approve their offer.... yes, that Larry. All job offers go through Larry Ellison at some point. (In fact, lots of things do. Its very much like a small company in that way.)

Advice to Senior ManagementHardware makes you productive, stop spending my time doing work arounds when for $50 you can get me more hardware.

Great fun for those interested in developing database management systems

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsI worked in the server division. There is fairly decent work-life balance in server division. On average I worked around 40 hours a week. Excellent work gets recognition, both by peers and by management. Oracle's size means that you can work on implementing very different types of enterprise software within the same company.

ConsThe overhead of the development process can be annoying large for big teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementI liked receiving written performance reviews and being told what category I was placed in during performance reviews. Such extensive feedback is important for employees, in particular in retaining top talent. Managers must be told to spend adequate time on these reviews.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!