Oracle

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

New employees benefit, existing employees stagnate

Teaneck, NJ

ProsStable company.
Good benefits
Lots of freedom - can work from home
Knowledgeable people who shares
Looks great on resume
Training

ConsNo increases in 3 years.
Only one bonus of 1.5% of income the past 3 years.
New employees start with significant higher salaries
Only get increases when you resign and re-apply for another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after you seasoned employees.

Pre-sales engineer

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle

ProsLots of products to learn and Oracle will never go bankrupt nor will it ever get acquired.
So all the things that you'll learn from work, you can use it forever.

ConsToo many layers of products. As other companies get bought by Oracle, there are duplicate products for same industry and u need to constantly worry about restructuring.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, Oracle is doing very well unlike other software companies so I guess you guys should keep up the good work.

Oracle is a tough place, but it can be rewarding.

Consulting Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle

ProsOracle is an industry leader. Because of the company's huge existing license footprint, the access that you get to accounts is impressive. A lot of senior executives (from customers) will take the time to meet with you if you're from Oracle. The company pays fairly well. The power you can harness within the internal network is pretty remarkable. If you need someone who is an expert on some facet of enterprise software, there is probably someone you can track down internally if you work hard enough. Also, the caliber of the average Oracle employee is impressive. You will definitely encounter talented, aggressive people that can teach you something.

ConsOracle is a very rough environment to work in. The stress level is constantly high. There is not a real sense of being collegial. People are mostly very focused on their self-interests and they need to be in order to stay alive. There tend to be a lot of emergencies where a situation runs up and down the management chain. When this happens, life can be difficult. There is not much of a mentorship culture at Oracle. There are a lot of processes to follow, so it can be very difficult to get things done, even after you have learned the processes inside and out.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a more collaborative environment.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work and learn. Not the best place for salary.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Teaneck, NJ

I have been working at Oracle

ProsOpportunity to work from home. Great training and work experience.

ConsTough go up the ladder within the oraganization.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more pragmatic approach.

Great colleagues, average salary, below par management

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Oracle

ProsThe work life balance is extremely good at i-flex. Even though you get to work at top notch financial clients, the projects are manageable. You do get very close interaction with senior IT executives at the client site. These contacts are very useful if you ever plan to switch to the client.
You will get very good opportunities to learn operations and processes followed in the financial industry.
Good brand name in the IT services field. Ths is specially true for the Flexcube product. Of course, now that it has been acquired by Oracle, the future remains to be seen.

ConsUpper management is not employee focused enough. Average salary as compared to peers. Very Political.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more. The ones at the client site know what they are talking about!

oracle, great place to learn.

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle

Prosknowledge, knowledge, knowledge. soak it in, build your resume, it will become solid gold. the information you can learn from many many competent colleagues and the plethora of learning material is really pretty amazing.

Consunexpected lay-offs at any time, difficult career movement. Lots of older professionals who aren't ever going to be CEO's.

Advice to Senior Managementget more involved. understand the technology better.

Lots of opportunity for those who understand the Oracle culture.

Principal Consultant (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Oracle

ProsOracle provides ample opportunities for advancement. However at Oracle it is essential to understand that you are on your own! You must create your own opportunities and networks. Oracle rewards those employees that are aggressive and that set out to be leaders.

ConsOracle does not go out of its way to make employees feel 'fuzzy' . All business all the time. Not necessarily a downside but it could be for some. The best reason to work for Oracle (see above) could also be a downside for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlexibility in salary negotiations.

Oracle, a decent place to work

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle

ProsIf a consultant wants or needs to 'come off the road' Oracle provides many opportunities to accomplish this. other consulting firms its the road or the highway

ConsIn many ways Oracle doesn't know how to deal with consultants. They were and are a great database company and probably should have stayed in that business. Once PeopleSoft was purchased they should have dropped the line of Oracle HR software and embraced PeopleSoft software.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not sure Senior Management wants to hear anything from a consultant. They don't understand or want to understand our lot in life.

Good Industry, bad management

Director (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood Industry , Good high profile clients

ConsIncompetent Management, favoritism, antiquated management practices

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more responsive to employees' needs

2 yrs and go someplace else

Manager In North America Consulting (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oracle

ProsGreat benefits, self service oriented. Great training and experience but life span employment here is about 2 years. Oracle is all about churn and burning their employees. We have some of the very best and brightest people in the world working here and fantastic training programs. Chances are you wont ever meet those bright people b/c of our caste system. And the great training? You'll be so burnt out you wont have the energy to do any of it. Working here is like having a glimpse into Santa's workshop and seeing Rudolph. But you are looking in the window, never talking to Santa, or being acknowledged.

ConsReorgs every year with next to no communication regarding structure, reason and long term plan. Very short sighted middle management with next to nothing in communication. No raises. Oracle will churn and burn you. What makes you good is what makes you bad. Good things: reputation, intellectual capital, products, training, benefits, various perks. bad things: reputation - working with people who treat each other like crap because "we're Oracle" and this is how we do things. too bad if Mr Customer doesn't like it; intellectual capital - unless your coming from Stanford, MIT, Harvard or Wharton MBA dont expect to get all those special perks.

Advice to Senior Managementstop putting yourself behind a closed door and acting like you're an all knowing being. Your attitute and your actions are the reason our turnover rate is so high.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 42 reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees.