Oracle Reviews in Redwood City, CA

5,623 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,261 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

581 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work, but hard to get into, and little salary growth

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits at Oracle are decent. Your job satisfaction will depend upon the group you are in. The hiring process is long and cumbersome, but once at Oracle, you have many opportunities for changing positions and groups. Your salary is however unlikely to keep up with the market.

Cons

This is a large company and it is hard at times to find out who is doing what. Incentives and compensation growth opportunities are depending upon the group in which you are. Some groups are well taken care of while others are not. It is important to be hired with the highest salary you can get. It is common for employees to get their salary readjusted upon being re-hired (after leaving the company for a few years).

There are no corporate-wide program for the retention of top talent. Managers are given a bonus pool for their entire team, and try to use this pool as best they can to reward top-performers. Very little people leadership with top executives. LJE is not a very inspirational person...

Slow and very conservative, no performance review or salary raise for LONG time!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable job, smart people, work-life balance, benefits

Cons

No matter how excellent you perform you don't get raise or even praise, NO SALARY RAISE FOR 3+ YEARS OR ANY BONUSES. No motivations.

There is appraisal review every year but there should be salary or compensations review or raise for employees who are performing excellent or extra ordinary jobs. And there should be personal growth.

Meh

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, work/life balance

Cons

Extremely corporate, far too many people, processes, nothing ever simple to accomplish

Do more to keep good talent.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Oracle

Current Employee - Group Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Talented People, stable large company

Cons

Compensation increase does not meed inflation

A hard place to stay

Current Employee - Vice President, Engineering  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President, Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

very talented people on many levels. good benefits.

Cons

centralized top-down management with high degree of politics and in-fighting. getting a budget is meaningless, almost all decisions are reviewed by every level of management to CEO. Red tape. Lots of enemies on the outside. Engineers are prevented from trying non-Oracle innovative technology.

less micro management, less greed at the top (and I am not talking about Larry), be more generous to engineering talent. get rid of co-presidents.

It all depends where your at!

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is great, no micro managing, and access to lots of senior people. But I'm in a unique position which allows that. I have a boss that give me autonomy, and support from senior leaders to act in the best interest of my program.

Cons

The internal bureaucracy is horrible. Internal systems such as expense reporting, procurement, tech support, and any other system for employees is garbage. Employee apps are crap, and internal software is dated and not intuitive. Compensation is slightly below average for tech companies, but not for other Fortune 500's

Fix the internal system, don't make it so hard for the rank and file to get help. Use our own commercial products to help make employees more productive. Give raises, treat your people like you want them to stay.

Too much bureaucracy and very old tech stack

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance
    Lots of benefits
    DB group has lot of new projects. Pay/Bonuses are really good if you join one of the teams in DB.

Cons

Not fit for new grads
    You don't learn new things until you take initiative
    Some of the older people are dinosaurs. They live in their own world and do not like talking about newer technologies as they are not comfortable around them.
    Managers lack mgmt skills and no effort is taken to learn them.
    You are stuck with the same pay grade even if you get promoted. Get hold off another offer letter if you want a raise or stay at the same pay grade forever.
    A lot of communication gap between teams.
    People don't give good advice. They do their work and leave for home. There are no mentorship opportunities and code reviews are just formalities.

Just because somebody completed X no of years you don't have to make him/her a manager.
    Layoffs are required in order to make ppl realize that they cannot slack off.
    There are 10 devs and 5 managers for Task X which can be completed by 2 managers and 8 devs. There are just too many managers and directors.

fun to work and flexible

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible hours good work personal life balance

Cons

low pay and motivation, old fashioned

gear up!

Great learning experience, but not the right company culture for me.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training program, the opportunity to work at a Fortune 500 company and meet an amazing network of peers and industry veterans.

Cons

Having no say in what LOB or team you fell under. This turned out to be a nail in the coffin for me, as I ended up under a sub-par manager. There was limited horizontal movement at the time due to the intense hiring round they were pursuing, so leaving was my best option.

Try to listen to the voices of all these new hires. You wanted us to change the culture at Oracle, but unless you listen to our thoughts about what can improve, this process can never take place.

Tough but fair

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic environment for sales people. Company culture revolves around those who are customer facing and/or revenue generating - you will never lose a deal on price, and the bag grows each year thanks to an M&A strategy that benefits reps and customers alike. Oracle continues to make training and education a priority, and employees are encouraged (and given time) to develop hard and soft skills. Good upward career mobility potential - preference for internal hires who have demonstrated the ability to navigate and excel inside the Oracle machine. Good work/life balance....except near quarter-ends.

Cons

Go-to-market structure creates internal competition that shouldn't exist and is counter productive. Very process and systems intensive - overly time consuming. The recent hiring binge has shrunk territories, making it much more difficult to achieve and exceed sales quotas, causing discontent and significant employee churn. Salary increases, even when being promoted, remain elusive.

The company's decision to hire top university grads to inject youth and fresh thinking was a good decision, but these millennials need to be set-up for success, and in most case they are being placed into situations where they don't feel purposeful. Equally, don't look past the experienced hires - they have been the top performers.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!