Oracle

Oracle Reviews in Redwood Shores, CA

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 714 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 325 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 96 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Solid employer, lackluster corporate culture

Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsSmart employees, dominant market share, great place to get global marketing experience; this is a huge company with a global presence so expect to work with diverse cross-functional teams. Self starters seem to do better than people who need a lot of guidance and support.

ConsTop down driven competition between business lines doesn't foster a collaborative environment; humor and fun seem to be rare in this corporate culture

Big company, both good and bad

Consulting Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsInteresting technical problems, the physical environment, is very nice, lots of smart people, pay can be good, though it depends on your leverage/negotiation at your hiring time.

ConsWork is very geographically dispersed. Lots of people work from home. Very top-down; management initiates both projects and very specific work directions. The end-result is little camaraderie, and creativity is rare, particularly for those who find creativity springs from working collaboratively with others.

Also pay leverage is generally weak once you have joined.

Eight months at Oracle

IT Manager (Former Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsLike a lot of people I came to Oracle as part of an acquisition. Folks in Product Engineering seemed happiest and liked their teams. Lots of interesting technology to play with. Company makes money. If you can find a good manager and team, it can be a good place to work.

ConsVery political and hierarchical, people look up your position and decide whether you are important enough to pay attention to. Things are done by firedrill, communication between teams not always good - you get little warning and expected to drop everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't appreciate being flamed on an email by a director when I had the temerity to ask about a backup plan in case a project went south. Seemed way over the top and unnecessary (just tell me that the project has to go out no matter what). That experience was one of the reasons I left.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly political environment

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsThis is a good place to work if you value job security. There also is the opportunity to get training.

ConsSome manangers don't know what they are doing. There are too many meetings. The compensation is not so good. You really need a manager who will fight for you to get a good raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more.

Perfect for Flexibility

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsMost positions give a high degree of flexibility, allowing you to work from home and make your own hours as long as you prove yourself. Work-life balance is also very achievable here.

ConsMake sure you come in at the highest compensation possible because certain departments have an almost impossible time getting raises for even the highest performing employee. This includes promotions with little to no pay. Although pay is why most people leave, once they hit that 2 year mark to be able to come back many return at a higher pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain key employees, be willing to match what competitors are offering to take them.

One Word: Negotiate BEFORE you join

Principal Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsOverall, Oracle is an okay place to work. They have a very flexible work environment (I think the Sun acquisition helped with that), good people, good set of technologies, etc.

ConsThere are quite a few cons...no raises, no bonuses, very hard to get promoted. Make sure you negotiate what you want because it will be extremely difficult to get anything more as you work there longer. IF you are okay staying status quo, then Oracle is a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your employees!

Some great teams/Managers also lots of mediocre folks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGreat products, innovative and never the same. Every couple of years Oracle extends their scope and goes after a new market. If its industries, hardware, engineered systems, cloud, mobile you name it, Oracle will be there sooner or later. Its a great place to learn and you can work with very talented people who are at the top of their game.

Constoo many acquisitions which on one side bring very bright and talented people, on the other mediocre folks who don't know how to survive in a large global company. They think that running a 100-1000 people company is the same as running one of 140.000. Many times they get paid waaaaay better then existing employees who have to suffer and manage folks who are getting paid more than they are (and ever will earn).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your existing talent and develop them. You can hire bodies but not passion and dedication. If you pay people reasonably there is lot that can be done but it seems that all money goes to the top 1%.

oracle

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

Prospay, culture, interest, opportunity, dynamic, fast paced

Conscommute, management difficult, size, limited upward mobiltiy

As corporate as it gets

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGood to have on resume, especially if you stay at least a year or longer. Other employers will know you've endure the crazy Oracle grind.

ConsInternal processes are very complicated. The hardest part to closing a deal in a Sales role is "selling" the deal internally. You cannot close a deal without MANY internal departments but beware of the uphill battle.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers don't have any power so advice to them wouldn't effect anything. The attitude is accept what your given and be happy to be working at Oracle, when the reality is there is FAR better opportunities out there.

Zero Advancement

Not Disclosed (Current Employee) Redwood Shores, CA

ProsMany people at Oracle do not work all that hard. There are lots of smart people. You can get useful experience to find another job.

ConsYou will be reviled by much of the rest of the software community. This may or may not matter to you but it can become a drag over time.

Also, there is almost no opportunity for meaningful advancement - you may get promoted, but in many cases will not get a raise, just a title, with more responsibility and/or work for no more money! This is especially true outside the core developer groups. Almost my entire department has had only trivial raises for many years running now, leaving many employees making effectively much less than when they began due to inflation (when I say trivial, I mean averaging under 1% annually), and this not only means you make less, but really destroys morale over time. Oracle has 4 members of senior management who would be in the top 10 CEOs for pay, the highest paid woman executive, etc., so you can see than none of the huge profits trickle down to employees - this does not make for team spirit. Also, the place is incredibly bureaucratic, there are hundreds of policies, approval processes, and other red tape areas where they make it difficult to get things done - the level of centralized control and policy has grown out of control to the point where it seriously impedes both productivity and morale.

On the whole, I would recommend this place only as a short term vehicle for getting specific experience that you know you will get at the first job you take - do not assume that experience will improve over time, and do not take any hiring manager's word that you will get paid more later, that you will get bonuses, or that you will advance, as those don't happen very often at Oracle, and managers lie about it regularly to recruit employees. (I was definitely lied to and I know others who report the same experience.)

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on cutting bureaucracy, and remember that if you mistreat employees long enough, it will bite you eventually. There is widespread dissatisfaction in the ranks and the perception of exploitation after zero bonuses and raises last year even with nearly record profits - you are seriously wrecking your workforce, and the idea that you are doing it on purpose to export jobs to India over time is openly discussed.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!