Oracle

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Highly political environment

Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsThis is a good place to work if you value job security. There also is the opportunity to get training.

ConsSome manangers don't know what they are doing. There are too many meetings. The compensation is not so good. You really need a manager who will fight for you to get a good raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees more.

Perfect for Flexibility

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsMost positions give a high degree of flexibility, allowing you to work from home and make your own hours as long as you prove yourself. Work-life balance is also very achievable here.

ConsMake sure you come in at the highest compensation possible because certain departments have an almost impossible time getting raises for even the highest performing employee. This includes promotions with little to no pay. Although pay is why most people leave, once they hit that 2 year mark to be able to come back many return at a higher pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain key employees, be willing to match what competitors are offering to take them.

As corporate as it gets

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGood to have on resume, especially if you stay at least a year or longer. Other employers will know you've endure the crazy Oracle grind.

ConsInternal processes are very complicated. The hardest part to closing a deal in a Sales role is "selling" the deal internally. You cannot close a deal without MANY internal departments but beware of the uphill battle.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers don't have any power so advice to them wouldn't effect anything. The attitude is accept what your given and be happy to be working at Oracle, when the reality is there is FAR better opportunities out there.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Zero Advancement

Not Disclosed (Current Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsMany people at Oracle do not work all that hard. There are lots of smart people. You can get useful experience to find another job.

ConsYou will be reviled by much of the rest of the software community. This may or may not matter to you but it can become a drag over time.

Also, there is almost no opportunity for meaningful advancement - you may get promoted, but in many cases will not get a raise, just a title, with more responsibility and/or work for no more money! This is especially true outside the core developer groups. Almost my entire department has had only trivial raises for many years running now, leaving many employees making effectively much less than when they began due to inflation (when I say trivial, I mean averaging under 1% annually), and this not only means you make less, but really destroys morale over time. Oracle has 4 members of senior management who would be in the top 10 CEOs for pay, the highest paid woman executive, etc., so you can see than none of the huge profits trickle down to employees - this does not make for team spirit. Also, the place is incredibly bureaucratic, there are hundreds of policies, approval processes, and other red tape areas where they make it difficult to get things done - the level of centralized control and policy has grown out of control to the point where it seriously impedes both productivity and morale.

On the whole, I would recommend this place only as a short term vehicle for getting specific experience that you know you will get at the first job you take - do not assume that experience will improve over time, and do not take any hiring manager's word that you will get paid more later, that you will get bonuses, or that you will advance, as those don't happen very often at Oracle, and managers lie about it regularly to recruit employees. (I was definitely lied to and I know others who report the same experience.)

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on cutting bureaucracy, and remember that if you mistreat employees long enough, it will bite you eventually. There is widespread dissatisfaction in the ranks and the perception of exploitation after zero bonuses and raises last year even with nearly record profits - you are seriously wrecking your workforce, and the idea that you are doing it on purpose to export jobs to India over time is openly discussed.

One Word: Negotiate BEFORE you join

Principal Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsOverall, Oracle is an okay place to work. They have a very flexible work environment (I think the Sun acquisition helped with that), good people, good set of technologies, etc.

ConsThere are quite a few cons...no raises, no bonuses, very hard to get promoted. Make sure you negotiate what you want because it will be extremely difficult to get anything more as you work there longer. IF you are okay staying status quo, then Oracle is a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in your employees!

Good place if you're young or "mature," but not so good in the middle

Principal Technical Writer (Current Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsExecs at the top are obviously doing something right to acquire dozens of companies over the last few years, assimilate them all, and still expand profits and customers. There are some RIFs occasionally, but it's relatively stable and secure if you perform to expectations.

All of my development contacts and development managers have been supportive, pleasant, helpful, thorough, and responsive. I also have utmost respect for the other writers on my team.

ConsI rated compensation and benefits with only two stars not because of the benefits, which are good, but because of the lack or total absence of merit increases year after year. After having completed almost ten years, I haven't gotten one increase. I was thankfully hired at market value all those years ago. I'm approaching retirement, so am biding my time, but if I were a decade younger, I would have looked elsewhere long ago. I'm not the only one in this situation. Most of my colleagues all the way up to the VP level are experiencing the same thing. Five executives at the top made $250 million in 2013, whereas the other 100K+ employees are mostly left behind, making the company the poster child for the inequality we hear about these days.

The company is best for those under 30 who are learning and advancing, and those over 50 who are in the latter portion of their careers and want a stable place to work to avoid "Too young to retire and too old to hire." For those in the middle, probably 3-5 years is workable before needing to look elsewhere for a pay increase.

The workload can be heavy at times, and they only hire more staff members as a last resort. We're lucky to have departing employees replaced.

Some great teams/Managers also lots of mediocre folks

Redwood Shores, CA

ProsGreat products, innovative and never the same. Every couple of years Oracle extends their scope and goes after a new market. If its industries, hardware, engineered systems, cloud, mobile you name it, Oracle will be there sooner or later. Its a great place to learn and you can work with very talented people who are at the top of their game.

Constoo many acquisitions which on one side bring very bright and talented people, on the other mediocre folks who don't know how to survive in a large global company. They think that running a 100-1000 people company is the same as running one of 140.000. Many times they get paid waaaaay better then existing employees who have to suffer and manage folks who are getting paid more than they are (and ever will earn).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at your existing talent and develop them. You can hire bodies but not passion and dedication. If you pay people reasonably there is lot that can be done but it seems that all money goes to the top 1%.

Tough Place

Redwood Shores, CA

ProsIt's a big company with a lot of opportunity, smart people, and enormous market penetration. Working at HQ is pretty deluxe, with a lovely campus, numerous and diverse cafes, a well-equipped fitness center including a pool, and now the 90' racing trimaran that won The America's Cup parked in our own pond. If you do you job quietly and thoroughly you can stay as long as you want.

ConsIt's a fear-based, soul-sucking, cheapskate organization that squashes ambition, derides creative thinking, and encourages compliance. You spend much of your time managing upward. Quite frequently we are directed to follow through on ineffective or meaningless solutions because an executive mandated it. There is an unaccountable pattern of self-loathing within the company such that they're willing to support tepid ideas from outside (often through acquisition) rather than strong ideas from within. Worst of all, there are no raises or bonuses, and very little encouragement.

oracle

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

Prospay, culture, interest, opportunity, dynamic, fast paced

Conscommute, management difficult, size, limited upward mobiltiy

Good platform for learning, and then taking it somewhere else to execute!

Management (Former Employee)
    Redwood Shores, CA

ProsYou learn a lot - technically, functionally, industry practices. Great benefits, super gym.

It's easy to maintain a 10a to 5p (or 4p) work life if you want to.

ConsQuite poor company culture - management by ridicule. Very low comp.
    No focus on career management for top performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company might run more efficiently if you laid off 15-20% of the workforce that's just cruising or treating this as a job till retirement. Oh and stop demeaning your people: most of them are pretty smart.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oracle reviews and ratings in Redwood Shores, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Oracle CEO Larry Ellison. All 107 reviews posted anonymously by Oracle employees.