Oracle Reviews

Reset
3.3
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Pros
  • In my team I have great work life balance (in 870 reviews)

• Flexibility to work from home at times (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

7,938 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Good working environment, lots of opportunity, strong management, excellent benefits and fair pay.

Cons

Large company. If you like a small company, probably not the place for you.

Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises

Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Advice to Management

Relax on the multi-million dollar VP salaries and bonuses for a few years so that you can reinvest in your employees. It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

Strong positives, strong negatives

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a big company, and it varies quite a bit by job/org, but... - Great work environment, with lots of good people who are working hard. It's a good place to learn about the industry and your job role. - Good benefits (insurance, 401(k), etc., are all fine). - Lots of flexibility. Working from home is limited, but pretty common. Managers (mine in particular) don't micromanage.

Cons

- Pay is flat out not competitive for most jobs. That's the reason why 50% of college graduate hires are gone after 18 months. Raises are tiny and not guaranteed. If you want to excel, go somewhere else. - Onboarding process is a joke. Most jobs have no training, because no one is in charge of training. - Along those lines, if it isn't assigned to someone, it doesn't get done. Oracle is like the former USSR--centrally planned, with only a chosen few making decisions, and endless bureacracy for everyone else. It is the opposite of an empowering culture.

Advice to Management

I get that the choice to pay people below market wages is deliberate. But your calculations are wrong--you're wasting money by having to replace people over and over. The longer people go with below market salaries, the more likely above average talent is to leave. After a few years, the only people who are sure to still be there are the dead weight.

5. Systems analyst

Pros

good benefits,gym, pool and cafeteria

Cons

Information flows from top to bottom. There is no upward feedback and no R and D

6. Oracle review

Pros

Good benefits Good people Well known name Good earning potential

Cons

You must work hard to make your bonuses Self serve company/sometimes lack of resources

Good company with awesome benefits

Former Employee - Staff Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Staff Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This review is based on my experience with Oracle Consulting. Other departments may vary: - Wonderful, comprehensive benefits package. - Opportunity to work remote if the client allows it. - Diverse product offering means you'll never get bored doing the same thing. - Being the top database and database application company means Oracle isn't going under anytime soon. - Free Oracle University training (as long as your cost center pays for it). - Decent work / life balance if you get onto a project with competent project management. - Very progressive company with regards to corporate culture and values.

Cons

Again, cons are based on my experience at Oracle Consulting. Sales, marketing, product development, etc experiences will vary: - Your resource manager will only see / talk to you once a year, and they are the ones responsible for your performance review. Not good. - Pay is extremely low when compared to other Oracle development / consulting jobs in the industry. - Layoffs almost every quarter. If you find yourself in between projects, expect a severance package in the mail. - Performance reviews are actually not based on performance, but dictated by upper management. This creates an environment of favoritism. - Senior management in consulting had been in disarray while I was there, resulting in low morale. - Oracle Consulting is a revolving door and Oracle is turning into a training house for other companies. - Promotions / raises take forever. Every year they have a new excuse as to why they can't promote you.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees as a replaceable commodity. I was laid off earlier this year, and the next day I saw job openings for consulting positions. Management 101: It costs less money to retain an existing employee than it does to hire a new one. You have a huge HR department, use it! Rather than laying employees off, try to match them with new openings and offer to transfer them if the other manager wants them. Believe it or not, there are those of us that actually want to be there and contribute. I would also recommend making salaries a bit more competitive. I loved my job and stayed there despite the laughable salary, but in the nine years that I was there, I saw a lot of bright talent leave because the pay was just terrible and opportunities for advancement were not there. Finally, please do away with your ridiculous performance self-evaluation system. You rate us on a 1-5 scale, with 4s and 5s getting promoted. Then you dictate to department managers that they are only allowed to give X number of 4s and 5s.That is completely unfair, especially considering how hard some of us work only to never see the fruits of our labor. I pulled 60-70 hour work weeks and received really high remarks from my project managers and the client, and you tell me that I deserve a 3 five years in a row? At least be honest with us, we're adults and can handle the truth.

8. Oracle review

Current Employee - Facilities in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Facilities in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Really enjoy the stability.Keep up the good work. Keep hiring people. really Enjoy working here. Keep up the good work

Cons

Great Company Keep up the good work. Keep hiring people. really Enjoy working here. Keep up the good work

9. ASR

Pros

Great team. A fun environment to work in. You will learn a ton about the computer software industry. More than you ever fathomed

Cons

Typical corporate red tape. More difficult to sell internally sometimes than it is externally

10. I enjoyed my time at Oracle, but the politics were heavy

I worked at Oracle (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work that impacted some of the most important companies and governments on Earth.

Cons

Very political environment at the time (2001).

11. Working in Global Business Units is pretty good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monument, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monument, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the Global Business Units (GBUs) is a fast growing organization with lots to keep people busy. Large variety of technology, lot of customer challenges to solve and a good exec management team. GBUs continue to be an area of growth and investment. Work-life balance is great depending on your location or role.

Cons

The culture suffers from a lot of old Oracle classic mindset conflicting with new cloud focused business leaders in the GBU or coming in via acquisition. Sometimes new & better methods are encouraged and accepted but too often, the old BAU rule prevails

Advice to Management

Encourage and run with the new, progressive thought leaders. Management that isn't effective or is being roadblock should be moved out of the way

Showing 7,938 of 8,076 reviews