Oracle Reviews

3.3
6,773 Reviews
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 870 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises

Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Relax on the multi-million dollar VP salaries and bonuses for a few years so that you can reinvest in your employees. It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

Not for everyone but right for many

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

A work from home culture, lots of opportunities to move laterally around. Good work/life balance. You get the "I work at Oracle" credit. For the size of the company, it is very dynamic and fast paced. Its influence is vast and its impact is formidable. It can take the hits that cause most business to fail, and not only keep going, but it come back stronger than before. Great employee alumni - many folk leave and come back like they never left, but in a better position so it can be a job for life if you dont burn bridges.

Cons

"Oracle" is "Oracle - so Its a bit like working for the government in that Its one brand - there is good, great, bad and ugly on all levels, in many pockets but to the outside World it gets tainted with the same brush which is usually the worst brush. And just like the government there are sweeping changes every year which make little sense to many. You have to become old school Oracle to get ahead in Oracle beyond a certain point. You have to learn how to be great while having one hand tied behind your back and standing on one leg, as it takes 10x as long to do 1/2x the job anywhere else, to get 1/3x of the result.

Stop acting and start listening.

3. Oracle just bought Micros; this is more of a review of the Micros GBU.

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management at the Louisville and corporate offices are very flexible and understanding about employees' extenuating circumstances. Lots of opportunities for advancement.

Cons

We're expected to learn how to do our jobs on the job. Received VERY limited training. So far, Oracle has not been very timely or clear on explaining their operations to their new Micros employees.

We need more clear, concise instructions. Through the transition, it hasn't been communicated to my district office what our new responsibilities and job duties are.

5. Oracle

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Great benefits, perks and flexibility.

Cons

Minimal raises and stagnant ladder.

Promote from within.

Some opportunities provided you find the right team

Current Employee - Consulting Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Consulting Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good family-work balance, benefits, mobility. Some engineers are top-notch. The company is so big and the technology stack is so wide, that you can apply pretty much find a job in any area you like.

Cons

many engineers are just cruising, difficult to push the agenda. You'll face a lot of not-invented-here attitude. Pay increases are minimal.

Approve new initiatives, be more agile, and let engineers build-up non-Oracle technologies

7. Sales

Current Employee - TSM
    Current Employee - TSM

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best solutions in their market space, best sales team support tools in the industry

Cons

A very big ship - takes time to learn the ropes. Lots of help available but harder to access if you are a remote employee.

Too many non-sales types giving "advice" to sales pros. Finance folks don't belong in sales cycles.

8. Oracle

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close to where I live, flexible hours, great gym feet from my office. Very bike
    friendly, I bring it right into my office. Interesting technology.

Cons

Large company, often strange architectural decisions made by people in upper management.
    Compensation is minimal. It is not uncommon for an engineer to go many years without a raise.

9. Operations Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Oracle has a flexible work environment.

Cons

Oracle has a "self service culture" where you need to figure out a lot of information / process on your own.

10. Challenging yet rewarding.

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation has always driven behavior.

Cons

Equally, behavior has always been driven by compensation.

11. Oracle Sales Rep

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Fast paced work place with great training, benefits and compensation

Cons

None pretty great place to progress your career