Oracle Reviews

Reset
3.3
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Pros
  • In my team I have great work life balance (in 870 reviews)

• Flexibility to work from home at times (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

7,612 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Good working environment, lots of opportunity, strong management, excellent benefits and fair pay.

Cons

Large company. If you like a small company, probably not the place for you.

Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises

Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Advice to Management

Relax on the multi-million dollar VP salaries and bonuses for a few years so that you can reinvest in your employees. It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

Strong positives, strong negatives

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a big company, and it varies quite a bit by job/org, but... - Great work environment, with lots of good people who are working hard. It's a good place to learn about the industry and your job role. - Good benefits (insurance, 401(k), etc., are all fine). - Lots of flexibility. Working from home is limited, but pretty common. Managers (mine in particular) don't micromanage.

Cons

- Pay is flat out not competitive for most jobs. That's the reason why 50% of college graduate hires are gone after 18 months. Raises are tiny and not guaranteed. If you want to excel, go somewhere else. - Onboarding process is a joke. Most jobs have no training, because no one is in charge of training. - Along those lines, if it isn't assigned to someone, it doesn't get done. Oracle is like the former USSR--centrally planned, with only a chosen few making decisions, and endless bureacracy for everyone else. It is the opposite of an empowering culture.

Advice to Management

I get that the choice to pay people below market wages is deliberate. But your calculations are wrong--you're wasting money by having to replace people over and over. The longer people go with below market salaries, the more likely above average talent is to leave. After a few years, the only people who are sure to still be there are the dead weight.

Poor salary and benefits, great flexibility

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Great flexibility and work-life balance. Opportunity to work with some very senior and experienced engineers.

Cons

Salary and benefits way below market standards. Haven't seen a bonus in over 3 years. Very slow to make changes in product and stay up to date with latest technologies.

Advice to Management

Cut the red-tape to hire faster. Offer competitive salaries to hire good talent and keep existing talent.

Oracle- The good, bad and the Money

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products to sell, "industry leading" in many pillars. I work in HCM sales (HR applications) and the momentum is definitely picking up. My first year I almost doubled my OTE, the second year I am half way through the fiscal year and have already doubled my OTE. If you know what to do, and don't need ANY hand holding you're golden at Oracle. If you like hand holding, and for everything to not be self service Oracle is not for you. Otherwise go make your quota and you get to do whatever you want. *Oracle has insanely good health benefits

Cons

No hand holding, EVER. Onboarding? -Forget it It's trial by fire. If you know how ot run your own business and be your own manager then you are set to be successful at Oracle. Cold Calls- lots of them, unless you know how to run your business without doing any cold calls- highly unlikely. If you make cold calls and actually work you'll do great. Just got to make sure you leverage your time well and involve your team field/management early and often for the larger deals until you have enough at-bats to figure it out on your own. Everyone who doesn't do well at Oracle bad-mouths it at Oracle. Culture is overall bad. That said, I am not in sales for culture. I am in it for hte money. Oracle is a great place for that mind set.

Advice to Management

Less territory changes at the end of fiscal years. We lose a full month or so of time each fiscal year due to the inevitable changes.

7. great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work life - and work life

Cons

Quarter-end stress - Dealing with partners

Advice to Management

Having an awesome manager makes all the differnce

Senior Software Development Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Great company to work for in terms of work life balance and benefits

Cons

Limited professional growth; Limited opportunities to diverge in other areas

Advice to Management

Focus on employee development

9. Sales

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Great people to work with and any executive at Oracle will help you in your sales cycle you just need to ask.

Cons

Territories are small which means you have to work lower probability deals that you typically would pass on.

Advice to Management

Continue executing on the bigger cloud solution. Empower your UI teams to deliver a simple integrated UI across all the solutions.

10. Good place to start

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Great sales training program and competitive compensation. Best in class company with solid reputation and products that are best in breed

Cons

Work can be somewhat monotonous and boring. Huge product variety and it is difficult to understand the ins and outs of many products - very technical.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, keep investing in young talent and growth. Relax the work environment a little bit and work to build a younger, more loose culture

11. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Solution Manager/Project Manager in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Solution Manager/Project Manager in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good work-life balance. Very knowledgeable team members and opportunity to learn

Cons

nothing i can think of

Advice to Management

keep going !!!

Showing 7,612 of 7,748 reviews