Oracle

6,351 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,594 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 870 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises

Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Relax on the multi-million dollar VP salaries and bonuses for a few years so that you can reinvest in your employees. It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

Great organization to work for, very flexible, good starting salary

Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

1. Great starting salary
    2. Great benefits
    3. Option to work from home
    4. No Per Diems while traveling
    5. Management listens to your ideas
    6. Up-to-date technology and cloud offerings

Cons

1. No raises from year to year
    2. No raises when you receive a promotion
    3. Old benefits being taken away or eliminated
    4. top people leaving due to inadequate salaries when compared to the market

Give outstanding employees raises and start utilizing those outstanding talent management systems that you sell and truly treat your best employees as your most important assets.

Materials Program manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was only at Oracle for 4 years and it was a positive experience. You work hard but you are compensated fairly. I had the opportunity to work with good managers and they were supported in all the decisions that I made. I would highly recommend this company if you can hired.

Cons

Long hours and lots of work but you have the freedom to work from home. This is a big plus for anyone that has a family but wants to work for a good company,

Keep doing what you are doing... it works and people are satisfied.

Large, awesome in many respects, woefully backward and bureaucratic in many others

Current Employee - Senior Manager IT in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager IT in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome learning experience, if you pay attention you can see what is done right and what is done wrong.
    Support from peers and superiors
    Flexible work schedule is one of the primary reasons I stay: do the things you need to get done outside of normal hours on days you have life and family obligations and no issues.

Cons

Not enough hours in the day to get all that is being asked of you sometimes
    Pay increases, bonuses rare in IT
    Egos of some so far out of whack they feel their own reality distortion field is infallible

Doing things in much the same way as 30 years ago doesn't cut it in this work environment
    Internal processes much more difficult to figure out and navigate than they should be, your employees spend WAY too much time trying to figure out daily routine things.
    Don't do what is popular, do what is right even if it is difficult to change the status quo

Great brand, company is competitive but at the same time slow moving

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brand name. Lots of training; Opportunity to learn and make mistakes with limited risk at a extremely well-established company.

Cons

Heavy processes. Not a dynamic company to fix situations. A lot of luck is involved. Territories are not created equal in terms of opportunity or budget - being the hardest worker doesn't guarantee success.

Incentivize teams, not individuals if you want collaboration and to keep your existing clients.

Very competitive, self-service corporation

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brand name. Lots of training; Opportunity to learn and make mistakes with limited risk at a well-established company.

Cons

Lots of red-tape, and experience differs greatly depending on who your mgr is. Not a lot of opportunity for employee feedback.

Good company

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of perks, like health, and gym. Also great access to a lot of certification and classes. Definite ability to grow.

Cons

Can be very stressful, and a lot of different orgs and teams to work with.

spread appreciation around

Area Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable, reputable company who promotes from within. Being number 1 in all areas of focus in the ultimate goal. End to End solutions to meet all your customer needs.

Cons

It is a very bureaurcratic company that is process heavy. Many people freeze or are incapable of working in non standard or dynamic situations. Alternatively the process may not allow for dynamic processes and requires lengthy one off fixes reducing agility.

Best company to work for !!!

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Very professional company. U have opportunity to work with great group of people. Oracle has the best product portfolio and leader in very technology space.

Cons

At times stressful but its fun to work on multiple project at the same time.

Good experience

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good benefits and work life balance

Cons

not any that i could find