Oracle

6,185 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,526 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 870 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

More Highlights

Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises

Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Relax on the multi-million dollar VP salaries and bonuses for a few years so that you can reinvest in your employees. It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

good company with mature IT processes

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Oracle full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is reasonable, very friendly coworkers, many opportunities for professional development (if you take advantage of them), excellent benefits, perks like large gym and exercise classes on site, casual dress code, occasional work from home if needed, and a great benefits package. Senior management in my area are terrific. This is a company very friendly to women - both in engineering and management. It's nice that the workforce is so culturally diverse.

Cons

There are so many posts confirming that raises are few and far between that this appears to be an unfortunate but true fact.

Share some of the wealth we are creating by offering cost of living raises. It's very demoralizing to work year after year without at least a token increase.

Asum work culture

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Good teams, Good work, Good compensation

Cons

Employees should be given chances to explore technologies

Great company to work for if you are self motivated

Current Employee - Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Significant push into Cloud, lots of technology to work with, smart people

Cons

unnecessary politics, sometimes too many meetings

Develop and empower talent

Valuable Internship Experience

Former Employee - Oracle HQ
    Former Employee - Oracle HQ

I worked at Oracle

Pros

As an intern, I appreciated that my managers assigned me impactful projects. Working in finance, I developed valuable skills while working with financial models. I'd highly recommend Oracle's internship program.

Cons

The only negative aspect I can report about my experience is that, relative to companies my friends worked for, Oracle did not host as many events for interns to interact outside of the workplace.

Please continue to mentor interns as you have.

Great coworkers and managers

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Coworkers and managers were all competent and willing to help.

Cons

Office politics and gossiping were getting out of hand at one point.

Oracle can be a great place to work. However, it is a mixture of well-run and dysfunctional teams; choose wisely.

Former Employee - Vice President of Business Development & Marketing in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid company. Great benefits. Excellent brand recognition. If you are on a team that is well run and isn't faced with internal competition, you have the potential to work in a very collaborative environment where you will be challenged to contribute your best. Expectations are high, but the quality of talent around you is also high. The resources and tools around you are top-notch. You will learn and grow.

Cons

If you are in a group where there is either internal competition (such as multiple groups doing similar jobs) or a lack of a stable history (constant restructurings, name changes or leadership changes) you may be faced with heavy politics, people throwing others under the bus and a constant worrying of whether your job will continue to exist.

Annual raises have been nonexistent for entire divisions over the last couple of years.

Many people have left and returned to Oracle because that was the only way they would get their fair market value. The company has caught on to this and is heavily discouraging that practice.

A manage-up culture.

Disband overlapping job functions once and for all.
    Provide annual raises to your top 50% of employees.
    Continue providing excellent benefits.

Good pay, atmosphere.

Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Hardware Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good monetary pay. Interesting work. Flexible schedule (but little paid time off). Offices for most employees is very nice. Equipment and software is not hard to procure (plenty of $, just takes lots of time and some paperwork).

Cons

Very poor holiday and vacation time.

Adopt more modern policies on paid-time off and/or compensation time to allow employees to spend more time away from work, and be more motivated while at work.

Senior Quality Assurance Engineer

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Environment and supporting manager

Cons

Repetitive tasks,Thw is no much entertainment in the company like extra curricular Activities

Really good.

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

-- good work environment
    -- good facilities

Cons

-- low bonus
    -- very less salary hike