Oracle Reviews

Reset
3.3
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Pros
  • In my team I have great work life balance (in 870 reviews)

• Flexibility to work from home at times (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

7,406 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Oracle Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best technology company to work with. Employee get lot of opportunities to work on the most recent technologies in a good and professional environment

Cons

You can become outdated if you are not honing your skills on regular basis.

Oracle Response

Jul 2, 2015Head of Global Recruitment Branding

Thank you for taking the time to review Oracle. We have to agree, that it's easy for your skills to become outdated in this market, but your comments applies to all companies, jobs and markets.

Great benefits, good people, slow innovation, no raises

Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst III (Support) in Denver, CO

I worked at Oracle full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Every group/division can be different in how they treat their employees, but I'd say overall there is very good atmosphere of trust and fairness. There is a strong focus on education, and they reimburse for outside classes taken (Up to 5k/year I think). Benefits are good, and I'd say quite competitive in the market. Good 401K matching (they'll contribute a max of 3% of your 6% or greater). Free drinks in the breakroom. Flexibility to work from home at times. (If you live 50+ miles away from an office you can work full-time from home...policy).

Cons

They don't try to make the workplace anything special (maybe a pool table and arcade game are cliche or gimmicky?). In the 10 years I've worked there, they've given 2 measly %1 cost of living raises (this is the same with most everyone I've spoken to, some don't get any raises). You will not get a substantial raise ever, unless you leave then get rehired on (they will not match offers, better to leave). New employees that you train will make 10 - 20K more than you several years after you hire on (not just me, they do this to all tenured employees). They will give these untrained, less experienced people higher titles (again this is done to everyone not just me). You learn pretty quickly that you're dispensable. The company has billions in cash and they don't re-invest in their employees, just in acquiring new companies and hiring new people that know nothing that you get to train.

Advice to Management

Relax on the multi-million dollar VP salaries and bonuses for a few years so that you can reinvest in your employees. It's obscene how a company will not try to retain it's employees who play the most pivotal part in bringing in the money that you horde from them.

Oracle- The good, bad and the Money

Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products to sell, "industry leading" in many pillars. I work in HCM sales (HR applications) and the momentum is definitely picking up. My first year I almost doubled my OTE, the second year I am half way through the fiscal year and have already doubled my OTE.
    If you know what to do, and don't need ANY hand holding you're golden at Oracle. If you like hand holding, and for everything to not be self service Oracle is not for you.
    Otherwise go make your quota and you get to do whatever you want.
    *Oracle has insanely good health benefits

Cons

No hand holding, EVER. Onboarding? -Forget it
    It's trial by fire. If you know how ot run your own business and be your own manager then you are set to be successful at Oracle.
    Cold Calls- lots of them, unless you know how to run your business without doing any cold calls- highly unlikely. If you make cold calls and actually work you'll do great. Just got to make sure you leverage your time well and involve your team field/management early and often for the larger deals until you have enough at-bats to figure it out on your own.
    Everyone who doesn't do well at Oracle bad-mouths it at Oracle. Culture is overall bad. That said, I am not in sales for culture. I am in it for hte money. Oracle is a great place for that mind set.

Advice to Management

Less territory changes at the end of fiscal years. We lose a full month or so of time each fiscal year due to the inevitable changes.

Strong positives, strong negatives

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a big company, and it varies quite a bit by job/org, but...

- Great work environment, with lots of good people who are working hard. It's a good place to learn about the industry and your job role.
    - Good benefits (insurance, 401(k), etc., are all fine).
    - Lots of flexibility. Working from home is limited, but pretty common. Managers (mine in particular) don't micromanage.

Cons

- Pay is flat out not competitive for most jobs. That's the reason why 50% of college graduate hires are gone after 18 months. Raises are tiny and not guaranteed. If you want to excel, go somewhere else.
    - Onboarding process is a joke. Most jobs have no training, because no one is in charge of training.
    - Along those lines, if it isn't assigned to someone, it doesn't get done. Oracle is like the former USSR--centrally planned, with only a chosen few making decisions, and endless bureacracy for everyone else. It is the opposite of an empowering culture.

Advice to Management

I get that the choice to pay people below market wages is deliberate. But your calculations are wrong--you're wasting money by having to replace people over and over. The longer people go with below market salaries, the more likely above average talent is to leave. After a few years, the only people who are sure to still be there are the dead weight.

Oracle

Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Product Manager in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Global company. You can work from anywhere, with people from anywhere else. Hours usually flexible (depends on the job). Pretty good diversity. Generally good stability.

Cons

Oracle tends to be on the low side of salaries. You may need to be working at all hours to work with people scattered across the globe. Oracle tends to assume that people are interchangeable, rather than valuing individuals for individual skillsets.

Advice to Management

Stop assuming that a college hire in a low-cost country is as useful as an experienced employee. Loss of product knowledge gained over years is more costly than salary savings. Pay more competitive salaries.

It's a great place to work for the right personality

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Makes money
    Well managed
    Larry Ellison is still the majority share holder and that gives the company flexibility to react to the markets
    Good people
    Driven culture
    People work very hard

Cons

Increasing cuts to things like home internet reimbursement.
    Big company and big bureaucracy
    Hard to advance or get salary increases
    Sink or swim mentality for new employees

Advice to Management

Create better growth opportunities for employees. Oracle let's too much talent walk away. So many good companies have been started by ex-Oracle employees. This could be a good or bad thing.

8. PMTS

Current Employee - PMTS in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - PMTS in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Timings, Understanding people, cafeteria

Cons

Vision less middle management in our group

9. Field Marketing Manager

Former Employee - Senior Field Marketing Manager in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Marketing Manager in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Oracle (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work with new ideas and loving people

Cons

Politics tend to cloud you

Advice to Management

Be more open

10. instructor

Former Employee - Minnesota
    Former Employee - Minnesota

I worked at Oracle

Pros

lots of independence and self direction

Cons

minimal raises, no real opportunity to earn more money than when you start

Advice to Management

I have had good luck with my managers. they have been supportive and helped facilitate my career growth.

11. member technical Staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Oracle (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good work atmosphere, Freedom, No micro management. good work life balance

Cons

Less growth opportunities. Average pay.

Showing 7,406 of 7,535 reviews