Oracle Reviews

Reset
3.3
Oracle CEO's Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd
Safra A. Catz & Mark Hurd

Pros
  • In my team I have great work life balance (in 870 reviews)

• Flexibility to work from home at times (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

7,951 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time

Pros

Good working environment, lots of opportunity, strong management, excellent benefits and fair pay.

Cons

Large company. If you like a small company, probably not the place for you.

Stay away from Oracle!

Current Employee - Product Management Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Management Director in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Oracle allows you to work from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection and access to a phone line

Cons

There are many! slave labor comes to mind!

Advice to Management

Stop playing politics!

Oracle continues to acquire companies but makes no efforts to properly integrate them

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Large, stable organization with good job security.

Cons

Top heavy management structure. Terrible bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Resign. There is too much senior management currently in place.

Oracle's work culture problems - too many middle managers who do nothing

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Very large company and there are many opportunities to try different things. for those starting out in technology or are early in their career, the opportunities are endless. Great benefits, great training availability.

Cons

Very poor management and leadership. Promotions handed out more due to seniority than competency. Poor work culture, too political. Successful careers are identified with ability to expand and build your empire, which forces ambitious and motivated people to emulate those activities rather than build competencies to be truly successful in a new position. No one ever gets fired or reprimanded for failure, which there is alot of at Oracle. Dates are always missed, people are not held accountable.

Advice to Management

Hold more middle managers accountable, terminations of some layers middle management could improve individual contributor morale. reduce the # of levels of managers, increase employee to manager ratio. Look at work culture, actual productivity. Ask the question, what has a group delivered for the # of people in the organization ?

6. Big and boring, yet good pay and a nice gym.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

I think the big name might help you to get some jobs further down the road. Also, the pay seemed at the higher end of the spectrum for comparable places for software engineers right out of college. The gym was very nice and not very crowded. The cafeterias are pretty good and the main buildings look nice from the outside. As a software engineer it appears that you never have to work too hard if you don't want to. It seemed like everyone in my group didn't work very many hours. Also, people worked from home regularly in a lot of the groups. I am young, so this doesn't affect me much, but I think people had a lot of time for their families.

Cons

I felt like the pace was very slow. Out of the three software engineers I know from before who worked there two of us ended up not really having anything to do and leaving before our year mark. I don't know if I have an opinion on whether it was hard to get noticed for doing good work. Even if you could get noticed for being good, I feel like doing work that was a substantial part of something interesting and innovative was not within the realm of possibility. The third software engineer I knew who worked there had a good amount of work to do that he found interesting. He never had to work too much and never got stressed out. As I said in another section of this review, the pay was good so the job was pretty promising to him. The workplace culture was very boring in my opinion.

Advice to Management

One of the difficulties management has may be inherent to the big company atmosphere. The age of employees there is greater than at startups (and I assume places like Apple) so there isn't as much workplace culture or fun. Also, Oracle has been around for so long it felt like nothing new and interesting was coming out. I don't know what advice I could give though, it's just not the place for me.

7. Oracle - Could be a lot better

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burlington, MA

Pros

It is a big company and hence there is job security to some extent. Your experience would vary depending on which group you are in. Some great mentors to work with, from whom you can learn a lot. There are a few people who make the company worth working for. You will get to work on really large products with enough challenges and opportunities to learn. If the group is flexible, there might be opportunities to try out different roles and see where your true interests are. However, few groups are open to it, as they would prefer you to continue in your role to avoid potential time delays to product releases.

Cons

Each group has its own management/promotion policies. The group I was in did not promote my career growth. For several years there was no raises or bonuses. Be it in technical track or management track the career path is not well defined. Again this was in one group, but I have heard of employees being very happy in other groups. I would strongly recommend talking to more people in the group you are joining before you accept the position. During the interview process, do request for time with the rest of the team and talk to your peers to get a good handle on what the job is about.

Advice to Management

Get competent managers. Do not just randomly promote a manager to lead everyone. Need a well defined career path. There were several managers who did not lead the team well and gave false promises. Managers need lot of training on how to be good managers and leaders.

8. Don't start your career at Oracle. Get used to the saying "Life is not fair".

Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Stability, Good Health Benefits, Oracle HQ Gym, great landscaping, beautiful campus. If you want to cruise in your career, concentrate on other things while still holding a job, this is the place.

Cons

Salaries are low, professionaly growth is bad, not a good place to start your career. No recognition for performing well. Rewards are hardly in line with performance. Management cannot explain why you were not rewarded even for doing well, low and middle management is pointing towards upper management (Maybe Larry is to be blamed for everything?). Employee moral is low, everyone talks against the company (but they still stick around!)

Advice to Management

Low and middle management seem to have a lot of control. This needs to be addressed. One cannot feel the presence of human resources in issues like professional growth, internal job transfers etc. Everything seems to be controlled by management. I was not even asked to do an exit interview, my manager didn't enter my departure date into the system until I was gone. There is a lot of room to manipulate. There need to be checks and balances for the review process outside of just immediate management approval. Managers are only interested in delivering projects and are not very qualified to manage people.

Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Oracle is a big company, if you have a god father to take care of you, your promotion and benefits will be reasonable.

Cons

Oracle has some of the worst managers who can do anything they want. HR is mute,they never do anything for the employees unless there is chance of geting sued. A snr.Managers salary and benefits is equivalant to a Application engineers salary in the industry. Bunus can be 3-5%, stock options at snr level can patheticaly low or nill. Oracle is not interested in taking care of their employees especialy in US. Not a single employee in Application is division is happy, that is why the code quality is poor. Turn over rate in Oracle's india development center is one of the highest in the industry..close to 20%

Advice to Management

They should take care of their employees. Ask the employees their feedback once in a while then you know the real storey. HR should have some role in employees matters. HR should try to implement their own policies and rules, which they never do. They never help an employee, employees know that, and that is why they dont go to HR.

Beware!

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Oracle benefits are pretty good relatively to other companies. Gym is excellent with heated outdoor swimming pool and towels. The gym is cleaner than most commercial ones. The cafeteria food is better than average. Relocation benefits are excellent. If you don't have a degree, I believe Oracle pays for you degree if you can get it approved somehow.

Cons

Management treats the engineers like disposable workers. The work is boring. The environment is very political. Oracle also tend to layoff its own workers in favor of the workers gained from large acquisitions. At least that was the case with Peoplesoft acquisition.

Advice to Management

I don't have any. This place is not fixable unless the senior management get replaced.

11. Be sure to get into a good group

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Belmont, CA

Pros

There's a big gym in the headquarter where employees can exercise to relax the mind. The benefits provided by Oracle are great. The company is pretty stable since it is huge. Since it is a huge company, employees have good chance to make friends

Cons

Big company, not a lot of things to work on. Depends on your luck, you will get completely ignored by the middle management. Sometimes, there is nothing to work on for half a year. The application division sucks since most of the app products are very innovative; mostly through requisition.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the middle management

Showing 7,951 of 8,093 reviews