Oracle

6,370 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,604 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 870 reviews)

• Great work from home options; Good front-line managers who support their staff (in 379 reviews)

Cons
  • No flexibility for work/life balance--no telecommuting or working from home one day (in 119 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 154 reviews)

More Highlights

Comparing a carrer in Oracle Consulting with traditional SI Consulting

Current Employee - Senior Practice Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Practice Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Great place to be exposed to new technologies.

Cons

It's an ocean. You'll need to craft your career path carefully. If you're in consulting, it is not a set career path like the Big 5s.

Director of Sales

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Pay, career opportunities, and people.

Cons

Culture, Top Down managent, too much red tape to get anything meaningful done.

Give control at the VP level

Good Work like balance, good Top management!

I worked at Oracle

Pros

Work life balance
    Good Top management
    Nice work culture

Cons

Real bad appraisal cycle
    Had just 2 sub-10% hikes in 5+years
    Managers play hard, trying to show that they save money by not giving proper hikes.

Larry can stop buying islands instead provide periodic increments to his hard working employees

Great team, good benefits, non existent salary increase

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The team I am on and have been on for years are the reason that I stay, other than being older and not at all sure of improving my salary should I leave.

Cons

Zero salary increase, no chance of promotion, stifling career development, being dumbed down. I could do so much more.

Let your employees work to their strengths to make our customers happy, instead of dumbing everyone down through process that only impede our abilities, not enhance them.

Reasonable work experience - but company is slow, bureaucratic, and top-down

Former Employee - Principal Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Product Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My work experience was not bad as I did learn a lot about my domain, on how to sell ideas internally, and how to help ship products out on time. I also got the experience of working with sales, marketing, and support organizations that helped to round out my experience of how a software company works. Work-life balance was excellent most of the time.

Cons

The company is slow and bureaucratic. Nothing moves in the product organization unless the product executive, Thomas Kurian, approves. Ideas don't seem to move up the chain, only trickles down the chain of command. There are a lot of overlap of products due to acquisitions, and no serious attempt to clean that up. Pay was mediocre.

Inject some vigor in the organization by making it less top-down. A lot of improvements and ideas can come from the lower rungs, and allow that to play out. Improve pay and tie it to performance. Demand better products from the team, and reward them when they deliver!

Good opportunity for global experience

Current Employee - Product Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

World-class products in some areas. Global reach and opportunity for global exposure. Excellent compensation within sales. Raises and salaries outside of sales are not as good.

Cons

Not much opportunity for personal growth. Impersonal company personality. Focus on generating revenue above everything else.

Great place to work, if you want work life balance. Get the best salary you can when joining, salary increases are hard

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Perks are great like tuition fees, medical, 401k. If you are in the right group, can have an impact and work on new technology.

Cons

If you are not careful, one can get lost in the big company. It is hard to understand the strategy or how the customers are using the products you built.

A good technology company

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A good technology company trying to keep up with or lead all current hot technologies, Cloud, Big Data, IoT etc while still maintaining its dominance on Database, Middleware and Enterprise application systems.

Cons

Very profit driven; everybody works like a sales person; you really have to talk loud to get noticed or recognized for your work; promotion is hard, only for a few selected favorites of managers.

Confusion and rep

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pay, most of the people in my unit are friendly, good outside of work culture

Cons

Training- minimal at best, management only cares about numbers, not people

Paid well to be absolutely miserable

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Oracle full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- The compensation and benefits are very good, especially for someone coming straight out of college with little experience in sales or IT.
    - It is a good introduction to business, IT, and what you can expect to encounter working in a massive corporate environment.

Cons

- Convoluted bureaucratic processes make it impossible to get anything done.
    - Sales targets are largely unattainable in many territories.
    - The company has extremely high turnover so they recruit hundreds of new sales people every year to backfill positions left vacant by employees quiting or being fired.
    - It's difficult to overcome the negative image of Oracle which makes it difficlut to sell into your assigned accounts.
    - Unreasonable and seemingly arbitrary performance metrics and mandatory processes for weekly activity.
    - Company culture is cut-throat and greedy.

- Not everyone operates successfully through the same methods. You need to allow your employees a little more room for creativity.
    - Sales targets need to be considered individually for different territories, not the same across the board.
    - An occasional free meal or happy hour is not sufficient compensation for making your employees miserable.