Oracle

3.3 5,349 reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

(3,123 ratings)

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights
5,349 Employee Reviews

Nice Work and Life balance

Principal Architect (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery nice company to work for , nice environment and you would be surrounded by intelligent people.Niche technology you can learn and you get access to vault of documentation and forums that helps building knowledge overtime

Consaverage pay or I should say below average pay

Advice to Senior Managementwork on bringing the salary at par with industry

One of the best organization to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosvery stable job, good benefits, management is very competent, plenty of chances to innovate and grow, flexible working hours, good atmosphere, friendly coworkers

Constoo many levels of approvals required to get things done, interview process is not very strict so sometime incompetent people gets in and slows everyone down

Research the sales position before you join.

MySQL Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGood company, good benefits. Base salary is great for sales.

ConsTend to blame sales when things are not going well. Have lots of channels for specific products so make sure that the product you are joining has market interest.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

havent started yet

Prosbig name on the resume and great work life balance 9-5 job where you get great training

Conscompetitive culture where only the strong survive yet it is still somewhat of a team environment wow what a hard questions tho because this company is so sweer

It's a job - a stable, not terribly exciting job... but a job.

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery flexible schedule
    Opportunities for internal training abound
    Stable, the company isn't going anywhere
    Good vacation and sick leave, and excellent benefits.

ConsIf you come in from an acquisition, the culture shock can be significant (and it's sink or swim)
    In spite of internal training opportunities, raises and promotions are difficult to come by
    'Working from home' or working remotely not as institutionalized as it should be, so some departments are hard to communicate with

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has no interest in advice from a mid-level systems administrator. Shut up, do the work, and don't make waves. This is a MASSIVE company, and you're a cog in the wheel that is Oracle - which can be a good thing if you're looking to coast through your work week, but taking initiative and going beyond tends to be thanked with a pat on the back, and not a raise or promotion. Your experience will largely depend on your direct manager and your department.

Need to be self motivated

ProsGood work life balance.

ConsAll cons that come with working in a BIG company

Great company benefits and lots of diverse groups to draw experience from

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood benefits
    Excellent gym and great food
    fantastic overall work-life balance
    A great opportunity to build your networking as the coworkers are really smart people coming from various other companies in the bay area

ConsCompany is too big to easily lose sight of the end goal in your day job
    Company promotes an independent contributor work culture and less of a team sense
    Middle management can be more efficient

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working on all the great things you do, but promote a team-focused work culture and reduce middle management

Challenging work, great benefits and people, below average wage

King of Prussia (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLots of challenging work and opportunities to continue/advance your career. Most of the people there are extremely professional and pleasant to work with. The benefits are the best I've ever had.

ConsI received great reviews during my 4 years at Oracle. However, not once did I receive a raise. I was promoted 3 times - no raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to evaluate your employee wages. The cost of living goes up - you need to compensate your employees so they too can afford the things upper management takes for granted. When you promote someone, give them a raise. 95+% of the companies out there do this, what makes you so special that you don't? You need to provide incentive for employees, other than you work for Oracle and Larry Ellison.

Great name brand on your resume, challenging internal politics and processes

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Redwood, OR

ProsWork-life balance, employee benefits and perks, training, and having Oracle's brand name on your resume are the top perks of working here.

Micromanagement is uncommon, and hours are fairly decent. The standard for my team was 8 AM - 5 PM. However, our manager frequently came in late and left early, so the actual "observed" hours were closer to 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM, with flexible lunch. In software development, it's even better. One of my friends tells he can literally "come and go as he pleases", because deadlines come by the month.

As a large corporation Oracle has many partnerships with other large companies. Employees can reap the rewards in the form of discounts on cell phone bills with major carriers, movie tickets, restaurant coupons, and more. Furthermore, the benefits, 401K, and employee gym at Redwood headquarters are amazing. In fact, I'd venture to say the gym was my favorite perk of the job.

There's a running joke at Oracle that you're never done with training. While it can sometimes seem excessive, you never stop learning about your product or general sales methodology. Sandler and Costigan sales trainings are invaluable and worth every penny Oracle pays to them. Oracle is also constantly coming out with new versions of products or new products altogether, and that makes for a wealth of knowledge to learn.

When I left Oracle, I had no shortage of startups and recruiters coming after me just because I had Oracle on my resume. So when you leave, you have your options.

ConsSubpar middle management, traditional corporate culture, unnecessary competition both with the rest of inside sales and field, and internal processes were some of the worst parts of the job.

While executive leadership at Oracle is top-notch, the incompetency of middle management can be downright frightening at times. Some people truly make you wonder, "How did you get to where you are today?" People are promoted for the wrong reasons, sometimes not because they are the best candidate or because they would excel with greater responsibility, but because they've just been there the longest. It is a far cry from a meritocracy.

The inside sales organization is a essentially a call center that tries to act and dress like it's better than that. Business casual is fairly strict, and there are often cases where management pulls employees aside because they were not dressed up enough. You spend your entire day on the phone or in front of a computer...who are you dressing up to impress? Certainly not your customers, because they never see you. People could do the job just as well, or maybe even better, at home, lounging in their PJs, watching SportsCenter on mute.

One would think that as part of Oracle, sales reps across different products would naturally collaborate in the best interest of the company and the customer. However, that is not often the case. Applications, middleware, database, hardware, virtual systems, and consulting play internal politics. Sometimes, it can seem like a pack of hungry dogs fighting over one piece of meat. This has improved with the recent reorganization, but can still be much better. Furthermore, conflicts with the field over deals can be a nightmare. If you're lucky and have a great field rep, you're set. But if you have a field rep who is challenging to work with or doesn't want to work with you at all, you're left out to dry.

Lastly, internal processes are horrible at Oracle. Oracle leadership touts that "we drink our own champagne", meaning we use all our own software to test and perfect before presenting to customers. In reality, it's more like "we eat our own dog food." If customers could actually see the internal logjam at Oracle and how bad our processes our, they would never buy our software. Seriously, it seems like a joke sometimes. Daily work is filled with antiquated systems that you have no way around, no way to improve, and no way to change at all. It's frustrating that as a leader in the tech space, Oracle would condemn its own employees to such disappointing and lackluster software.

Advice to Senior ManagementOracle is an old company, just look at its history, leadership, and overall employees. While the culture and fit in development may be great, the sales organization leaves much to be desired. Promote based on performance and leadership rather than tenure, seniority, and politics. Streamline processes so that half the battle isn't internal. Build camaraderie and incentive cooperation and work across business lines rather than working in silos and leaving everyone to fend for themselves.

Great pay and work experience

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe pay was great, I negotiated a decent salary when I was hired. The work experience was good too. Expectations were very high and if you didn't perform well you were let go.

ConsManagement seemed to retain the 9 to 5'ers instead of the 110% people. They let the hard workers burn themselves out and then laid them off.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!