Oracle Reviews

5,629 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,263 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

Can be a 'human grinder' environment

Former Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many smart people and provides an excellent pedigree for future employment beyond

Cons

New management coming in from HP are cutting many benefits and are primarily focused on HW/Sun

Cloud Cloud Cloud

Corporation with resources not people

Former Employee - Quality  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Quality in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent medical insurance, working from home allowed, good people, decent life-work balance

Cons

No long term direction, no bonuses or raises for years, no recognition of any kind.

Award people or at least recognize. They are not just replaceable resources

Change to learn big frameworks

I have been working at Oracle

Pros

Integration; many casual time to learn; many manual tasks

Cons

No liberty to write code, use thrid party libraries. Limited touch in latest technology.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Watch your back

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well-known and respected organization if you happen to be in the right business units. Ability to be entrepreneurial and self motivated to run your territory as your own business.

Cons

Competition among business units leaves for little collaboration/teaming efforts. Although not believed by Oracle, this corporate culture doesn't always bode well in front of customers. Management does not led by example but by your ability to react to unexplained fire drills.

Slow and very conservative, no performance review or salary raise for LONG time!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable job, smart people, work-life balance, benefits

Cons

No matter how excellent you perform you don't get raise or even praise, NO SALARY RAISE FOR 3+ YEARS OR ANY BONUSES. No motivations.

There is appraisal review every year but there should be salary or compensations review or raise for employees who are performing excellent or extra ordinary jobs. And there should be personal growth.

Only thing that keeps me is my boss and the ability to work from home.

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Oracle full-time for less than a year

Pros

My boss is great, the best. I can also work from home which gives me flexibility

Cons

So much red tape, terrible on boarding for acquired companies. Documented instructions on how to do things are wrong and the departments admit it. Salary is below market and even though I've only been here for a short time, word is raises are rare.

I don't even know what advice would work. This company is so large and really, no one listens.

Little, underpaid fish in an enormous and growing pond

Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff  in  Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Member of Technical Staff in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company, leader in the industry, low-stress work environment, flexible hours, great healthcare

Cons

Absurd salary review / compensation practice (resulting in loss of very talented employees), poor upward (or even lateral) mobility, insistent on using home-grown (and at times abysmal) software solutions, poor internal group communication / assistance, low morale, impersonal work environment, total reliance on offshore developers despite high turnaround

Promote employee satisfaction and career development

Meh

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, work/life balance

Cons

Extremely corporate, far too many people, processes, nothing ever simple to accomplish

Do more to keep good talent.

Safe Bet

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life Balance, Flexibility in work hours

Cons

Perks, Hikes, Slow career graph, mundane work

Consider having a research wing in order to diversify the length of products

It was the best of times...it was the worst of times...

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fairly decent benefits. Very talented people who persevere despite the bureaucracy and culture.

Cons

Unless a member of the "chosen few", raises and bonus have become a thing of the past...not even cost of living increases. Difficult seeing the compensation of the few at the top and the large cash reserves, while experiencing what amounts to a pay cut over the past few years. Total emphasis by senior management on shareholder value and increasing revenue is the recurring theme. Ambitious growth goals, but Oracle arrogance as perceived by the marketplace seems to constantly punish Oracle share price. Internally seems very much a shark tank. Larry likes it that way. Survival of the fittest and all that. The consequence of that culture is the growing silo effect between "clans" and very inconsistent organizational cooperation. Have I mentioned "customers"? Unless one is a consistent multi-million $$$ "donor", mainstream Oracle just doesn't really care. The smaller organizations that have been swallowed up by the Red Beast still have remnants of those for whom SMB customers do matter, but slowly they are being assimilated into the Borg.

I have no advice for senior management, as if they would listen. For mid-level GM's, remember there are actual people working either for you, or for themselves. It's your prerogative to stimulate and motivate them, or they will become nothing more than mercenaries. JD Edwards is one of the few for whom I see the light still shining.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!