Oracle

Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

733 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Resistant to process changes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsExcellent health and PTO benefits. Learning opportunities. International travel.

ConsIt's is difficult to get promoted, depending on which department you are working in. I had a director tell me that although I was doing great work, I would be promoted as there was no room in our department for a manager position.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do more to encourage and guide employees to aspire to promotions.

Great, Good, Bad, Awful. Don't stay too long at Oracle or it will crush your mind, your soul, your spirits!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsA good company to learn Oracle-only technologies. But the longer you stay there the worst it will be...

Cons- Promotions are based on "performance reviews" that mean nothing to your manager if you don't have a good relationship with him/her. You can have a 5 for several reviews and still go nowhere career wise.
    - There are 7-9 levels of management above your position, which translates to a nightmare when anyone tries to do anything innovative or even beneficial to the company. It takes months to get anything approved, implemented, and tested, from IT to dev.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring micro-managers who think that their goal in life is to question everything you do.
    Empower your employees to do their work.
    Make your middle and upper managers more accountable to the company goals instead of creating their own fiefdom and operate as if it was their company and they can do anything they want to their underlings.

Solid tech company with solid technology, applications solutions, transitioning to meet current trends to reduced Cap-ex

Solution Architect (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsLots of technology innovation. Huge focus on the more profitable technology solutions. Diverse customer base. Huge portfolio of good, relevant technologies to build solutions from.

ConsLittle on-going investment in growing employees.
    Too much middle management.
    No real career path
    Slow going in terms of promotions. Growth might sometimes be inversely proportional to tenure.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't expect a raise!!!!

Principal Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsStong company, good benefits, No fear for a take over.

ConsNo raises in 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at how you decisions affects employee's families. You took the working from home perk away. Havent seen a raise in 5 years. Now with after school day care and commute expenses, I've taken a pay decrease! Also when your support group earns $2 Billion per month, you can share some of the wealth!

Challenging work in relaxed environment

Principal Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWork-life balance is achievable here. Promotions very hard to get.

ConsSalary hike - very little, peanuts

A good place to work

Director (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat team, solid company. Very creative, interesting people. Very supportive upper management. Lots of opportunity to make a impact on the work you do. Intense work environment but a good work life balance. Can work from home often

ConsRaises are rare, fairly structured environment. Very little training. Sink or swim culture. Can be a tough place if you are not self motivated. Lots of layers of red tape to get some basic things accomplished

Advice to Senior ManagementMore room for advancement would help keep the good people here a lot longer no one really wants to leave but they leave for a better salary

Senior Sales Consultant

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat training and personal growth opp, not very stressful

ConsNo annual raises to base salary, not very flexible work schedule but probably depends on LOB, have to deal with lots of politics to get to the next level

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement needs to recognize and look beyond those 'look at me look at me' type of individuals

It was a great experience working at Sun Micro systems, Inc.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsIt was a big company but had a culture of small start up.

Conswork life balance was challenging.

Advice to Senior Managementmake it more flexible work environment

Good

Principal Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood company to work for

Consnone that I can think off

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Dynamic work environment with some challenges

Senior Director Marketing (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsOracle is a market leader with a huge portfolio of products and service offerings. Lots of areas of opportunities for those who aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves and work hard. Great selection of health benefits.

ConsAs a result of Oracle's acquisition spree over the last 10 years, the organization is a confusing maze and the systems are cobbled together. It is very hard to get some things done. Informal and very proactive networking is the only way to navigate this massive company. There is also a lot of disparity in salaries and titles. Those who have been with Oracle a long time are often penalized and have not received raises in years. As a result it is not uncommon for a manager to have someone in his or her organization who reports to someone who reports to him/her that makes nearly double and has a grander title. There is very little career development. It is up to the individual to look for opportunities and go after them in order to get ahead. It is also very hard to motivate employees without incentives such as raises, bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more. Communicate more.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!