Oracle

Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison

Larry Ellison

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good(in 714 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times(in 325 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth(in 96 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth(in 137 reviews)

728 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

an ok place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosgood benefit, flexible work hours

Conssome teams do not have team work

Software developer 2

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

Prosrelaxed working environment. flexible working hours. no overtime work. one can have plenty of time to improve his/her own interests/skills or enjoy life out of work.

Conssalary never raises. less benefit compared with other companies in the vally.

Advice to Senior Managementsome managers don't act like manager, but more like engineers. it is good but sometimes we need more rules to regulate the process.

Oracle Review

Intern (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsStable firm to work for

ConsNothing that I did not like

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, Stable Company

Director (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsOracle is very diversified and encourages contact with other groups. It'a stable, profitable company with very good talent.

ConsDue to the size of the company and acquisition spree over the last years, organic innovation has decreased. Innovation now mainly comes from the acquisitions and integration of acquisitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more trust to the employees

Review

Business Development Consultant (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe people, energy, willingness to help out, to name a few

ConsThe commute was tough for me at first

Have been working in Oracle over 13 years and enjoying working here.

Director (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood company to work for. Good infrastructure and global presence. Great work culture.

ConsSalaries are not as per market standards and they should definitely do the survey and revise salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't limit bonus only to top executives. Distribute bonus to first level of management also.

Oracle Sales Consultant

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsGood Pay
    Good Benefits
    Smart People
    Great Resources
    They invest a lot into you
    Great Resume builder

ConsTypical big company - hard to get promoted
    Fourteen days of vacation per year kidn of week

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the top performers more opportunity to promote
    Unqualified managers

Good place to work, but definitely a 'big company' mentality

Principal Sales Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people, a solid range of products, and the company is profitable. If you are willing to make things happen, there is plenty of opportunity here.

ConsLots of process, internal confusion, and overlap in products/sales teams that can create internal strife. Some existing or potential customers will have preconceived notions of you just because you are part of the 'big red bus'

Advice to Senior ManagementHire externally for your cloud businesses and realize you can't run your cloud business like your traditional hardware business.

Associate event producer, Oracle

Associate Event Producer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI had an awesome experience working for the sports marketing team at Oracle as an associate event producer during the America's Cup in San Francisco during the summer of 2013. I met some amazing customers and learned the importance of adopting a customer centric approach to marketing. My managers made every effort to ensure that I learned as much as possible about event marketing during my summer experience with Team USA.

ConsNo real cons here, I didn't work here long enough to experience any negatives.

Big Company mentality, Decent Life Balance

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsOverall, a pretty good life balance which is important if you have a family or plan on having one.

ConsCompensation for developers is not adequate. I think that management believes that developers are expandable and can be replaced by college hires (cheaper labor). If you stick around for long enough (10+years), then I think the picture changes

Advice to Senior ManagementThe database is only getting more complicated to maintain with each layer of new features. If you want great software, invest in great developers and in processes that work. Don't cheapen out on the people that make this possible. Realize that it's not just SVPs that drive progress - developers are the people who create the product.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!