Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA

5,569 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,248 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

95 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Current orcl review

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging and interesting projects both hw and sw.

Cons

Giant company with policy and rules that come with large companies.

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oracle as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was a very relaxed environment that allowed you to have space to breath, explore, and be creative.

Cons

The kinds of people who work here aren't necessarily motivated to create the next Google.

No Career Growth

Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance. If you are lucky, you will find great people to work with.

Cons

No Career Growth
    Poor Compensation/No Pay hikes for years
    No scope to change teams unless you have contacts

cut down on the redundant management roles

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great pay and work experience

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was great, I negotiated a decent salary when I was hired. The work experience was good too. Expectations were very high and if you didn't perform well you were let go.

Cons

Management seemed to retain the 9 to 5'ers instead of the 110% people. They let the hard workers burn themselves out and then laid them off.

Oracle Consulting - Hire and Fire at will !

Former Employee - Principal Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Independence, Great opportunities to self-learn, brand name

Cons

Bench is not tolerated, seldom meet people at work, sometimes one can work and retire for managers without ever seeing them in person, a consultant is always a resource and can be laid-off during bench without any attention paid to their skillsets or contributions

Value the skillsets, help consultants cross-train in skills, meet people in person once in few months, treat people as people and not as programmed robots !

Oracle Consulting.....body shopper with a brand

Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work in some great fortune 100 clients. Also you have a lot of independence in terms of work. You can access all the training available in Oracle university. 4 days onsite , 3 days offsite. Can negotiate with client for work from home on special situations.

Cons

No harmony with in the company between Product Sales, Consulting and Product development. Often client thinks that you can directly talk to the Product manager for issues which is not the case. As some other person stated, you will never get together with your colleagues or manager, except if they are on your own project. There is no cross training or boot camps for new products and releases. If you are billable no one cares about what you are doing. Often times you may be on a project for no reason or the client has budget and needs to use it. You will be forced to work under a resource who is in no way knows what has to be done.

Compensation is what you negotiate and join the company. Later there is n o significant raises. Promotions are not transparent. Bonuses are always like a lottery , you never know you will get it even though your utilization was 100%.

You will never be appreciated for the work you do. There was no initiative from the management to encourage knowledge sharing. Every consultant is a SILO.

And worst of all you never know when you will be let go.It does not matter how much work you did in the previous years. If you are in bench in one of the quarter ends and a CPA may decide you are a liability and you will be laid off.

The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth. I know many people stuck with the same designation and work for over 10 years. You can verify this on linkedin by checking their profile.

If Oracle is not interested in Consulting, please do not spoil the life and career of innocent consultants. Stop doing it. Don't do it for the sake of it.

Good experience.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training, good working environment, great cafeterias,...

Cons

Low pay, high stress, transient environment...

Considering taking better care of your team.

Good place to work, but definitely a 'big company' mentality

Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people, a solid range of products, and the company is profitable. If you are willing to make things happen, there is plenty of opportunity here.

Cons

Lots of process, internal confusion, and overlap in products/sales teams that can create internal strife. Some existing or potential customers will have preconceived notions of you just because you are part of the 'big red bus'

Hire externally for your cloud businesses and realize you can't run your cloud business like your traditional hardware business.

Associate event producer, Oracle

Former Employee - Associate Event Producer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Event Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Oracle as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I had an awesome experience working for the sports marketing team at Oracle as an associate event producer during the America's Cup in San Francisco during the summer of 2013. I met some amazing customers and learned the importance of adopting a customer centric approach to marketing. My managers made every effort to ensure that I learned as much as possible about event marketing during my summer experience with Team USA.

Cons

No real cons here, I didn't work here long enough to experience any negatives.

Oracle workforce is dedicated and very talented. To bad they do not want to provide current market salaries.

Current Employee - Director  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Offers employees the opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Oracle America has provided very few annual salary adjustment over the past 4 years.

Focus on salaries as many US employees have not seen adjustments in past 4 years.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!